Hitchhike hammock trip along I5

Hi.

I'm considering doing a hitchhiking trip from LA to Seattle with a hammock as my accomodation. I will be taking the I5 and I am just wondering whether it's realistic to find trees just off the exits, where I can put up my hammock. Will I get into legal trouble? Bear trouble? Any trouble? (I know noise is a factor)

I would love some thoughts about whether this is a good/bad/horrible idea...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Why I-5?

You will find places to hang if you are very creative but yes there might be unwanted LEO and perhaps other unwelcome interaction. Much of I-5 is barren scrub desert. I'd recommend Hwy 1 and then Hwy 101 instead...

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I cannot speak for the route you are taking but I've done quite a bit of hitch hiking, a good amount has been with a dog. I have never been discovered hanging in a hammock just off the road or highway. No fires, no lights and site choice have been key to going undetected. Go in the woods late and pack up at first light. I use a sign with an exit number or city/direction, ect. and haven't been hassled by the law much. Just be careful where you are as far as a safe place for you to get picked up; in that I mean sometimes I'll re locate to a spot where cars can get off the road completely or out of the way to pick us up, slow to enter the highway or at a turn ect. I'm not sure how the west coast laws are on thumbing but I've had little trouble on the east coast from the New England states to Fla. and back. Have a good one when you go on this adventure. It makes me want to hit the road again thinking about your trip.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

I sadly only have a week to get there, so that's why I5. I know more time would have been better, but I've got a flight back to Europe to catch

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Ahh well then I'd recommend busting some miles the first day to get to or past Sacramento. The view will begin to improve.

Hitchhiking is legal in California with some limitations. Freeway on ramps will have a sign that limits you going beyond to thumb. The advice to make a sign indicating your next intended stop is a real good one. Out here you could very well get a ride that drops you on a dead end on ramp (reduced traffic)...been there, done that many years ago.

There are a number of fruit and nut orchards dotted along I-5 that would make for reasonably good hanging spots (sniff for chemicals before stopping). I'm not sure about the rules for setting up at rest stops but that could be an option.

Travel safe.

Thanks for the thoughts, they're very much appreciated! I'll be bringing a sign, and I will be going as far as possible on the first day (public transportation out of LA in the early morning, then go!).

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    freeze my butt off
    Suspension
    duck tape&bailwire
    I'm up for a hang in Seattle (if I don't end up tripping to California, haha). I'm in Lynnwood, so close by, so what day do you expect to end up in Seattle?
    noob.

• + New Posts