Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question Nesting 2 Climashield TQs vs Single TQ?

So I'm getting ready to order materials for a Climashield TQ. What I'm wondering is if I should make a single 5oz TQ or make two 2.5oz quilts and then nest them when it's going to be colder? I'd like to be able to handle temps down to ~30*F but also be comfortable at summer temps when I do most of my camping.

I'm aware that there have been several threads about nesting quilts and that it works but you won't necessarily get cumulative temp ratings due to compression of the inner quilt. Does this apply as much if you're using synthetics vs down? If I go the two quilt route I'd deliberately make one a few inches larger to help prevent compression of the inner TQ.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Nesting seems the way to go. You're adding the weight of shell material but look at the versatility you gain. Plus, you'd have an extra quilt for me when I come to see you!

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Nesting sounds like a good way to go but I wonder if, given the slippery texture of the shell, you might end up struggling with them all night long!

The other design decision is the footbox, do you put one quilt inside the other, have no footbox on the 'outer' one, etc. etc.

I made the decision - quilts have 2 layers of climashield and I made a fleece TQ for a summer TQ and can use it as a liner for the quilt if I need it.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I made the decision - quilts have 2 layers of climashield and I made a fleece TQ for a summer TQ and can use it as a liner for the quilt if I need it.
    Old Boot,

I would like to hear more about the 2 layer CS TQ. Is that Apex? Which weight of CS? Etc.

Thanks,

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Old Boot,

I would like to hear more about the 2 layer CS TQ. Is that Apex? Which weight of CS? Etc.

Thanks,
    I used the 5.0 Climashield Apex because I wanted to make sure I stayed warm!

I like it because it doesn't need to be quilted. 4 yards did both my TQ and my bridge hammock full length UQ with plenty left over - I used some of it for my pillows and still have odds and ends.

The Climashield is kinda stretchy so it's important to make sure that you're not distorting it when you work with it, other than that it's easy.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

I like it because it doesn't need to be quilted. 4 yards did both my TQ and my bridge hammock full length UQ with plenty left over - I used some of it for my pillows and still have odds and ends.

The Climashield is kinda stretchy so it's important to make sure that you're not distorting it when you work with it, other than that it's easy.
    So you just laid one layer on top of the other and then edge sewed to hold them in place? That is how I made a single layer Apex 5.0 TQ in April. Very light and stuffable - I have been warm under it to the low 40s. I am interested in double layer TQ & UQ for this winter because I kayak camp. CS is preferable to down for this use.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    You could also use a layer of 2.5 and a layer of 5.0 if you wanted to.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

How did you manage to get a double layer in your TQ and a UQ out of only 4 yards of Climashield?

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nesting sounds like a good way to go but I wonder if, given the slippery texture of the shell, you might end up struggling with them all night long!

The other design decision is the footbox, do you put one quilt inside the other, have no footbox on the 'outer' one, etc. etc.
    I am thinking some snaps or ties along the sides so that the two can be hooked together.

footbox I am thinking perhaps one sewn and the other cinch and zippered or tied.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    like the idea alot! just got my 50f top quilt from HG and thinking about a custom 1 to fit over it 4 colder temp??

• + New Posts