Tarp
    ID Siltarp 8 by 10
    Insulation
    20 Degree Pheonix
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

My first backpacking trip that was NOT solo

I've been backpacking for more than 10 years but really haven't done that many trips considering the time span and still consider myself a bit of a newb, well maybe an advanced newb. None of my friends have to this point shown the least interest in going backpacking and all my trips have been solo. And I love being out there by myself. I'm kind of a recluse to begin with.

So my friend from work said he wanted to go backpacking. We end up travelling together for work sometimes and he loves to go on long walks (he drug me 16 miles in hawaii the last time lol) so I knew that from the physical standpoint he would be fine, but I really felt nervous about feeling responsible for him having a good time and being comfortable. I was afraid he'd lay awake all night miserable. He had never been backpacking before. He had never spent a night outside other than when he was a boyscout long ago. Oh and survival school in the air force, but he said they didn't have to actually pack things in then even.

We found a few days we both had off work in common and planned a real short "test the waters" trip to a spot I had been before, Shealor Lake near Carson pass. Its only a few miles in and has a couple of nice little lakes. I got all my gear sorted out to get him set up. He bought a backpack and I was afraid he'd show up with a behemoth (like the 7 lb pack I bought when I started out) but he got one of a reasonable size. I was able to put together two hammock setups, although we only had one tarp, but it wasn't going to rain. I told him if it did I'd just have to sleep on the ground under him . The low temperature was only going to get down to 50.

I had my Traveller, Pheonix underquilt, and HUG bugnet. I used my High Sierra Sniveller for a topquilt even though it is rated to like 5 degrees or something ridiculous. I would usually use my Nest as a topquilt but it was the only other item I had that could be used on the second hammock as a underquilt.

We set him up with my old Hennessey Exped, the Nest underquilt, and my only other bag which is a Big Agnes Horse Thief which has spent the last 10 years or so as a comforter on my couch . Well, I was going to let him try both hammocks but figured that the Hennessey would be better since the full length underquilt and built in bugnet makes it a little less fiddly. Course if he'd preferred the traveller I could have put the Nest on it, not sure how the Pheonix would work on the Hennessey though, never thought to try it. Probably wouldn't have mattered since much since the temps were not cool enough to require perfect quilt position anyway. But I digress!

So anyway we sorted out the packing of the packs and ended up about 23-24 lbs apeice. Oh I also took a groundcloth and my full length POE Insul-Mat so that he could try laying on the ground and see if he preferred that. Lets just say it just laid on the ground the whole time unused after he lay on it for about 15 seconds.

So we hiked in up and over this big hill to get to the lakes and it was beautiful. There was someone camped at the bigger of the lakes so we continued on to the second which is smaller but actually was better because it was close to a small bluff that overlooks a valley where we sat and watched the sun go down and the stars come up. There was no moon and the milky way was astounding. We had cooked our dinner after setting up camp and it was just really fun seeing his reactions to things I've come to take for granted like the little cat food stove etc. We had set up our camp and after stargazing for a few hours made our way back to camp. We hadn't really spent the time we should have before it got dark having him try out the hammocks. He had just entered the Hennessey, and said "this is good" before we had set off to our first class sunset seats on the bluff.

I got him arranged with the underquilt and all and went and got in my Traveller. Very worried he wouldn't be able to sleep. I swear..in like 2 minutes max, I heard snoring. I honestly couldn't believe it. I have never fallen asleep that fast in my life I don't think. I slept lightly, kind of "on alert" in case he woke up and had any issues with comfort that I might be able to address, but every time I woke up I heard the soft snoring that I was grateful for, as it let me know he wasn't laying there awake and miserable.

In the morning we wandered around for awhile, ate breakfast, got all packed up and left. My friend said his shoulder had been squeezed but other than that he was comfortable although he had woken up alot but then quickly back to sleep. I then realized we should have had him try my hammock more seriously, and I should have realized by looking at him in the Hennessey that he was too tall for it. He's 6'2 and after I got home I looked up the specs on the Hennessey and it recommends 6'0 tall max for it, whearas the Traveller is good up to 6'8. But his only other complaint was that it was a little too warm and oh the other thing was " we should have stayed for another day"! Since he wants now to go on a trip where we stay two nights instead of one, this is obviously a success! I have to go to the big city Friday to go to the dentist and he lives near there and we're going to meet at REI to goggle over gear .

This is a new experience for me just as much for him, as I really had a lot of fun having another person with me. There was a whole lot of laughing going on and it really was nice having someone else see the beautiful things I see but usually only share with friends via pictures. He was a good hiking companion and didn't even mind that the water was orange tinted. And GEAR TALK! Having someone to talk about gear with in real life without them rolling their eyes or giving me a blank stare looking bored to tears . He somehow found Shug videos already too!

So here are a few pics:

Last edited by ssdivot; 07-17-2013 at 22:22. Reason: trouble getting pictures to show up

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Nice story. Sounds like you found a good hanging partner. Beautiful area too. I'll have to check out that lake one day. Do they allow dogs there? Any fish in that lake?

S

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 8 by 10
    Insulation
    20 Degree Pheonix
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Yes dogs are definately allowed! We saw several day hikers and almost all of them had dogs. One I saw having a wonderful time swimming in the bigger lake. Its probably less than 2 miles to that first lake, which is the bigger one. I'm not positive about fish, but I would imagine there are fish there. I saw somone fishing the second day but I saw them from afar and they were gone by the time we got there so I could ask if she had caught any.

edit: I did a google trying to see if there are fish in the lake and came up with some fishing bulletin board that said it used to be stocked but isn't anymore, and that there might be a few in there because it is 15 ft deep but that it was a long shot. Then on High Sierra Topix someone asked if there were fish and a couple replies said that they'd tried fishing it but caught nothing.
    Last edited by ssdivot; 07-17-2013 at 23:16. Reason: to add info

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Very nice! Glad it all worked out well
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like a good trip. Thanks for sharing the pics.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Really is nice to have company sometimes!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    What a beautiful place!
    I'm sure after a good nights sleep in a hammock, he's hooked for good.
    Open that wallet!
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/ Henne
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Continuous loop/ b
    Images
    Nice trip report !!! Beautiful place !!! Thanks for sharing !!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm still waiting for my first non-solo after 7 years!!! Gotta make it to a group hang sometime since none of my friends have an interest.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Wow what a beautiful hang area. That view of the lake is amazing. Looks like a successful recruit!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast