Hammock
    HH Expedition & HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Whittle, read book, fire, chit chat, rinse and repeat till bed time.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I just seem to keep busy if I am soloing, I like to work on different skills and if there is a stream near I love to fish. Fly fishing or just sitting by or in the water depending how hot it is. When with friends I like to teach them skills they may not know and have good camp fire conversation. If they are experienced in the woods I love to learn, I am not afraid to ask questions. And when there is nothing to do, well, thats what I do. I go and do whatever comes my way
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I like to take a look around. And I gather wood while I'm doing that. Then I build a fire, cook dinner and enjoy the fire some more until its time to turn in. Working on fire starting skills is one of my favorite pastimes and cooking over the fire is too.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    If camp is along a river ... especially the Linville River ... I might indulge in a little Advance Hydrological Observation Engineering (watching the river go downhill)

If with friends gather wood, cook, burn more little sticks, whittle a bit, watch Ken whittle, tell tales of days gone by and of places to explore in the future, burn more little sticks, sometimes smoke a good stoggie, a nip of something liquid and adult would be nice on occasion, burn more little sticks .... go to bed till time to start again.

If solo pretty much the same except no one to talk with so I burn more little sticks and might have something along to read ... or just enjoy Hiker TV!

Mostly soak it all in so I can enjoy it from memory when I can't be in the woods!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Symibird
    Tarp
    diy silnylon
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    Am steal Woopies

Re: How do you pass the time once everything is set up?

Quote Originally Posted by m_huber View Post
    Do you play games, read books, fiddle with the hammock all night, go directly to sleep? I am going hiking with two friends this weekend, and we talked about bringing some games with us. I don't really know what to do, though -- normally I camp by myself, and just bring along a good book.
    I know what you mean. I remember when my wife and I went backpacking together for our first time. It was our first time being away without kids (practically since we got married). It was very hot, too hot to do much. We (I) set up camp, gathered some wood for later (amazing how no matter how hot it is we always have a fire). Then looked at each other..... Now what? I had ideas of going on day hikes, she wasn't really all that into that. But I just got back from a week long father son backpacking trip with three other dads and our sons. I don't remember ever being bored. Go figure!
    Revelation 14:12 Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

Fireline

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Usually I rest for a while. Then I try to explore the area. I also look at the map for the next days walk. I don't do fires and it's so hot right now I don't bother to cook. So, I just eat dinner. Then I hit the sack even though it's still light to get a head start early. This is especially true now since it gets hot around 10.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireline View Post
    I know what you mean. I remember when my wife and I went backpacking together for our first time. It was our first time being away without kids (practically since we got married). It was very hot, too hot to do much. We (I) set up camp, gathered some wood for later (amazing how no matter how hot it is we always have a fire). Then looked at each other..... Now what? I had ideas of going on day hikes, she wasn't really all that into that. But I just got back from a week long father son backpacking trip with three other dads and our sons. I don't remember ever being bored. Go figure!
    This is somewhat similar to the situation I'm facing. My girlfriend and one of her friends are going with me. I go by myself frequently, and have no problems, but I'm not sure how this will go. I have gotten a few ideas from folks here, though, so maybe it will not be too bad (as long as the hammocks stay in the trees!).

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    Get a good book, a backpacking chess/checkers set, and a portable radio, makes all the difference between camping and living.
    Jonah,

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireline View Post
    When you go camping it's your time off, go to bed when you fell like it, I recommend bringing hot chocolate, and coffee...

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For portable entertainment, a deck of cards and some dice and score cards for playing Yahtzee are great when I hike with my kids. Most of the time though, hiker TV and good conversation are the best way to enjoy the outdoors for me.

David