Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Fart Baseball... never heard of it before, but I am a big fan of it.

I usually hike so dang slow that all I have time for is a little work on my napping merit badge, then start rehydrating my dinner and collecting wood. It's my one endulgence (dinner and maybe a baked dessert). One of us usually brings along a deck (tiny ones) of cards and we usually have some stories to tell or fish to cook, all activitives are accentuated by a little gas relief though. Maybe it's the male gene, I dunno.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    According to cannibal's fart baseball rules, I am MVP of the All-Star Game and Home Run Champ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    Maybe it's the male gene, I dunno.
    Without naming names and risking my health and happiness, I'll just say it is not a male only gene.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Reading, enjoying a fire, and I'm a merlot guy. I also enjoy smoking a meerschaum pipe when camping out or in deer camp.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    One of my favorite things in camp is setting up near the campfire so I can just lounge in my hammock with a book, dozing on and off but mostly just listening to my buddies talking about everything and nothing. Listening to Tendertoe telling stories or Slo playing with his ax, Lukesteg describing some idea or showing someone a new piece of gear he's just made, USMCstang talking with his little girl, Shelby or Hammike passing a little honey burbon around the campfire while Teeslayer talks about a recent scouting event or one of the new folks asking all those same familiar questions that we've all asked at one time or another.

Yep, that's pretty much how I enjoy passing the time.

David

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    When I camp solo, I do a lot of reading. If there's going to be lots of daylight to burn (if I'm not hunting or fishing), I like to bring the Newcomb's Wildflower guide and learn the names of the scores of plants I see. A few years ago, I bought a whole box of softwood blocks and a couple of whittling knives, but they're still in the box they came in.

When I started camping with my new girlfriend, I was amazed at how we could pass the whole evening, and into the wee hours, just sitting by the fire, drinking some wine, and talking. At home, we'd be bored with all that dead time and we'd probably rent a movie or go for a walk around town. In the woods, doing nothing at all, time flies!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Straight from a BSA Troop webpage:

There are a few other uh rules when played amongst hikers on a long trail.
    I thought it was "fart a fourth time and you have the runs"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Okay, this is going to make me sound like a bad parent, but what the hell. My kids and I take a frisbee on most trips and play a game called "human target practice." Everybody lines up about 30 ft. from the thrower, with their backs to the thrower.

A head shot is worth 3 points, a body shot is 2 points, and any hit to the extremities is 1 point (no hard throwing allowed). If a target turns to face the shooter, or tries any evasive maneuvers out of fear of getting plunked, points are awarded to the thrower based on the expected trajectory of the shot.

After the scoring opportunity, the thrower becomes a target, and a target becomes the thrower. We agree to play to 10 points or whatever, depending on the accuracy of the frisbee players.

I've taught this game to every kid in the neighborhood - I'm sure their parents would be horrified we play. However, it does teach kids how to throw a frisbee accurately, to gauge prevailing winds, etc.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images

How do you pass the time once everything is set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Without naming names and risking my health and happiness, I'll just say it is not a male only gene.
    My wife would "2nd" that one

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Okay, this is going to make me sound like a bad parent, but what the hell. My kids and I take a frisbee on most trips and play a game called "human target practice." Everybody lines up about 30 ft. from the thrower, with their backs to the thrower.

A head shot is worth 3 points, a body shot is 2 points, and any hit to the extremities is 1 point (no hard throwing allowed). If a target turns to face the shooter, or tries any evasive maneuvers out of fear of getting plunked, points are awarded to the thrower based on the expected trajectory of the shot.

After the scoring opportunity, the thrower becomes a target, and a target becomes the thrower. We agree to play to 10 points or whatever, depending on the accuracy of the frisbee players.

I've taught this game to every kid in the neighborhood - I'm sure their parents would be horrified we play. However, it does teach kids how to throw a frisbee accurately, to gauge prevailing winds, etc.
    Yes, I think that you could find a better game. Whiffle ball? Horse shoes? Frisbee golf?

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast