Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps

Southern Ontario - Niagara to London help

So my wife has decided she wants to move back to her home province to be near her family. We're looking at places between Niagara and London but my question has to do with bugs. We barely have them here on the west coast, at least not many of the biting kind but I lived in Ontario once many years ago and my skin starts to itch just thinking about all the different biters.

For you local hangers, in your opinions, what are the bugs like? I just want to get an idea beforehand. Thanks.
    Brady

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    That will depend on where you hang won't it!

Algonquin Park area - be prepared to be eaten alive right now with deer flies, now that the black flies are gone...

Southern Ontario - you have to get pretty far out into the bush before you find much more than common mosquitoes.

Pick up some permethrin on a cross border shopping trip and treat all your hanging gear and clothes and you'll be just fine.

I can't wait to do the opposite of what you're doing - I'm headed west as soon as I have no more responsibilities to anyone but me!!! Glad to hear that the bug situation is a whole lot better.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It's deer fly / horse fly season right now during the day for your hike. Mosquitoes at night. In mid august the bugs die right down with the cooler nights but the dry weather brings out the yellow jackets en masse until the frost. At least there are no Grizzlies here. I hear their bites aren't relieved by scratching.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    We are just a bit north of your future home...mostly gonna be mossies.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Thanks for your feedback fellas. I'm a bit reluctant to move across the country but like the saying goes, happy wife happy life. The lack of bugs, the ocean, the mountains, an the weather will be tough to leave. That said, I'm looking forward to playing in your 'hood. I haven't been winter camping in years. Winter camping here is usually right around freezing and everything is green. Heck, I still go swimming in the ocean here all winter since the water stays the same temp year round mostly.

How is the pollution along the lakes? And are there lots of places to camp in the south?
    Brady

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I have a rather jaded view of southern Ontario - heck most of us up here would like to secede and make Northern Ontario the 11th province... so take it for what it's worth.

Your wife is probably gonna want to kill me for this, but here goes...

IMO, Southern Ontario is overcrowded, flat, industrialized, did I say overcrowded, polluted and just plain. Yes, Niagara Falls is pretty, but it's a tourist trap.

We have no 'mountains' and southern Ontario doesn't even have much in the way of hills. The stretch between London and Niagara is either open farmland or built up areas.

Yes, there are camping spots - in provincial parks and private campgrounds. But you have to come north to find any crown land, rocks, forests and clean air and water.

Are you sure you can't keep her happy out there!!... How many plane tickets would it take!!

Now, the southern ontarians will come here and try to extol the virtues of southern Ontario...

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    So my wife has decided she wants to move back to her home province to be near her family. We're looking at places between Niagara and London but my question has to do with bugs. We barely have them here on the west coast, at least not many of the biting kind but I lived in Ontario once many years ago and my skin starts to itch just thinking about all the different biters.

For you local hangers, in your opinions, what are the bugs like? I just want to get an idea beforehand. Thanks.
    Peak bug season in the forested camping areas is usually mid May until Mid August. There is a reason why I don't camp during these times. That and the fact I dislike humidity almost as much as bug.

What Old Boot said about Southern Ontario is true to a point. I'll add that traffic around the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas is problematic at best.

As they say, Happy Wife, Happy Life. There are some small areas and towns that you can find that are great places to live in your desired search area.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post

Are you sure you can't keep her happy out there!!... How many plane tickets would it take!!

Now, the southern ontarians will come here and try to extol the virtues of southern Ontario...
    I wish. I would love to buy her tickets back and forth but she wants to be there to be closer to her family and still be able to grow a nice garden as the growing season is much better down south.

I forgot to mention she's a Sudbury girl. That said, she in no way wants to live in the North.

Definitely want to hear from the Southerners. I'm trying to get as much info as possible before the discovery trip. Thanks.
    Brady

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Not all of Southern Ontario is developed farm country. Bruce County is very nice. Alot will depend on what type of work you do.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I hear it's a nice place to visit.
    I've been down there several times. Too many people period. I'm happy with the 250K in an area bigger than Texas up here. And the gardening is great! Even have watermelon planted this year. My buddy moved back there 5 years ago though, SW, and couldn't be happier, but he loves hunting farmland.
    My sister lived in London for a couple of years. We visited her one Christmas. Don't recall much on the drive from Oakville to London except farm and windrows.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast