Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Oregon, so BIG.
    Insulation
    TQ MIA,UQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    MSH, whoopies + RL

Talking Wet Climate: Synthetic TQ/UQ? (1st post!)

2 time hanger and 1st time poster from Oregon here.

After a 26 mile trip with 3 friends in the Cascades @ ~4500' for 2 nights... I'm hooked. Most of my gear was makeshift (sorry, no pics of my first hang since my camera had died >.<). I managed to survive with 2 6' straps, 2 helpful volunteer stick toggles, some random low stretch rope, 2 carabiners, a military poncho thingy from my dad as a tarp, a giant extremely difficult to use bug net, a foam pad, 45* bag, a thin blanket, and my trusty ENO DN.

I can tell you I was cold both nights. I assume it got down to the sub 40 range. That is what I would like to address with this post even though my bug net and poncho, although successful, were equally unbearable.

I live in Oregon; Therefore, it is not a matter of IF I get wet, but WHEN. I just recently got into backpacking/hanging and what I have learned so far leads me to believe bringing anything other than synthetic might make me regret my decision, or even compromise my health in the right situation. Is this true for a down UQ? I would love to take the plunge on a nice UQ, but it doesn't seem like there are many synthetic options. Further, I'm not 100% sure what size/temp I even want or need.

I know I am brand new to the game, but I am pretty ambitious as a 21 year old with a lot of disposable income and a job I don't particularly enjoy. I think a ~20° UQ seems versatile enough for me to be able to work with it even in the summer, though I would probably use a thinner TQ... I could use some advice. (Ideas for range would be valley summers in the 50's - 6k' on Mt. Hood or PCT/Colorado summer)

Enough ranting about a topic I love yet don't possess much experience about, please provide some insight and we can continue pushing this conversation forward.

:Cheers:
    - Yak

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: Wet Climate: Synthetic TQ/UQ? (1st post!)

I hear your concern, arrow head equipment makes synthetic quilts.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Images
    Hi Hairy Yak and welcome.

I went with a synthetic UQ from Molly Mac Gear for similar reasons though I went with a down TQ. Mind you I have just purchased a bigger tarp which should keep my gear dry better than the standard Hennessy tarp when I am set up.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    is JRB also putting out synthetics? I got one from Pan at Trail Days.
    Also I'm beta testing one for Underground Quilts-so far so very very good, so methinks in the near future there will be several synthetic choices.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Oregon, so BIG.
    Insulation
    TQ MIA,UQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    MSH, whoopies + RL
    Thanks for the fast replies! I will definitely keep my eyes peeled on new synthetic options.

As for temperature... How large of a variation could I reasonably expect to use a 20° 3/4 in? I assume I could use a really thin TQ and be good up to the point where one isn't needed at all, or is it unbearable to use something like that for 3.5 season? Worst case like I mentioned earlier, would be hanging at 6k' on Hood, PCT/ACT during typical seasons, or Colorado in the summer... so not like SUPER cold.

Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch

Wet Climate: Synthetic TQ/UQ? (1st post!)

Tim @ enLIGHTened equipment also does synthetic quilts and will also do custom if you like. I'm very happy with mine.

Re: Wet Climate: Synthetic TQ/UQ? (1st post!)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hairy_Yak View Post
    2 time hanger and 1st time poster from Oregon here.

After a 26 mile trip with 3 friends in the Cascades @ ~4500' for 2 nights... I'm hooked. Most of my gear was makeshift (sorry, no pics of my first hang since my camera had died >.<). I managed to survive with 2 6' straps, 2 helpful volunteer stick toggles, some random low stretch rope, 2 carabiners, a military poncho thingy from my dad as a tarp, a giant extremely difficult to use bug net, a foam pad, 45* bag, a thin blanket, and my trusty ENO DN.

I can tell you I was cold both nights. I assume it got down to the sub 40 range. That is what I would like to address with this post even though my bug net and poncho, although successful, were equally unbearable.

I live in Oregon; Therefore, it is not a matter of IF I get wet, but WHEN. I just recently got into backpacking/hanging and what I have learned so far leads me to believe bringing anything other than synthetic might make me regret my decision, or even compromise my health in the right situation. Is this true for a down UQ? I would love to take the plunge on a nice UQ, but it doesn't seem like there are many synthetic options. Further, I'm not 100% sure what size/temp I even want or need.

I know I am brand new to the game, but I am pretty ambitious as a 21 year old with a lot of disposable income and a job I don't particularly enjoy. I think a ~20° UQ seems versatile enough for me to be able to work with it even in the summer, though I would probably use a thinner TQ... I could use some advice. (Ideas for range would be valley summers in the 50's - 6k' on Mt. Hood or PCT/Colorado summer)

Enough ranting about a topic I love yet don't possess much experience about, please provide some insight and we can continue pushing this conversation forward.

:Cheers:
    - Yak

Do some reading around here and watch shugs videos. This has all been covered many times over. These same questions come up every day or two.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I live in just as wet a climate as yours as do several other hangers here. If you want to go synthetic, go for it. Just know that down works fine as well. There are even some downs that resist water from my understanding. Jacks R Better has it as an option on their quilts. Obviously go with what you want, each has it's merits.

PS. In 18 years of camping, my down has never been wet. Get a big tarp and keep it in a waterproof bag in your pack.
    Brady

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think there are a lot of folks interested in a decent synthetic if it approximates down in size and weight. If nothing else it gives a lot of peace of mind.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hairy_Yak View Post
    Thanks for the fast replies! I will definitely keep my eyes peeled on new synthetic options.

As for temperature... How large of a variation could I reasonably expect to use a 20° 3/4 in? I assume I could use a really thin TQ and be good up to the point where one isn't needed at all, or is it unbearable to use something like that for 3.5 season? Worst case like I mentioned earlier, would be hanging at 6k' on Hood, PCT/ACT during typical seasons, or Colorado in the summer... so not like SUPER cold.

Thanks for the help.
    I have a JRB down quilt that is rated to 20F. I use it year round including in this lovely VA summer weather where I am waking up at 6AM to 82F with 85% humidity.

Venting it is the key. I have so far used the JRB quilt in everything from 25F to 80F nights without issue. Yes, I know I might not need a UQ at 82F but I use one any way. It keeps the mosquitoes away from me

I also made an inexpensive PLUQ which I will use in the summers or just around the house for hanging. It works excellent in the summer temps but is a bit more bulky than the down is. All I am saying is there is lots of alternatives to explore.

If you have not done so, check out YouTube for Shug's videos. All will be explained and you will laugh a bunch while watching them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast