2 time hanger and 1st time poster from Oregon here.

After a 26 mile trip with 3 friends in the Cascades @ ~4500' for 2 nights... I'm hooked. Most of my gear was makeshift (sorry, no pics of my first hang since my camera had died >.<). I managed to survive with 2 6' straps, 2 helpful volunteer stick toggles, some random low stretch rope, 2 carabiners, a military poncho thingy from my dad as a tarp, a giant extremely difficult to use bug net, a foam pad, 45* bag, a thin blanket, and my trusty ENO DN.

I can tell you I was cold both nights. I assume it got down to the sub 40 range. That is what I would like to address with this post even though my bug net and poncho, although successful, were equally unbearable.

I live in Oregon; Therefore, it is not a matter of IF I get wet, but WHEN. I just recently got into backpacking/hanging and what I have learned so far leads me to believe bringing anything other than synthetic might make me regret my decision, or even compromise my health in the right situation. Is this true for a down UQ? I would love to take the plunge on a nice UQ, but it doesn't seem like there are many synthetic options. Further, I'm not 100% sure what size/temp I even want or need.

I know I am brand new to the game, but I am pretty ambitious as a 21 year old with a lot of disposable income and a job I don't particularly enjoy. I think a ~20° UQ seems versatile enough for me to be able to work with it even in the summer, though I would probably use a thinner TQ... I could use some advice. (Ideas for range would be valley summers in the 50's - 6k' on Mt. Hood or PCT/Colorado summer)

Enough ranting about a topic I love yet don't possess much experience about, please provide some insight and we can continue pushing this conversation forward.

:Cheers:
- Yak