Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Nope, bout an hour. If you've ever been to Yonah Mtn I live right at the bottom of it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB XL 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch & Whoopie!

Looking to go Ultralight

Yeah I learned how to repel & climb on Yonah when I was a kid. Before they closed it (or whatever they did). So you're on 75? I go to Smithgal Woods a lot, I like to fly fish.
    How are those Yonah Burgers? Worst thing about being up that way...bad food. I have to find ONE place with a decent meal for when I come out of the woods and hit the drive home.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    That's where I learned too. They just closed the road up it, there's a trail now. I live around the corner from that trail. I eat those Yonah burgers alot, it's too close to me not to! If you like pizza that one place you're looking for is the Nacoochee Village Tavern. Gourmet pizza and other gourmet stuff and good beer. It's where I always go when I come off the trail around here.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB XL 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch & Whoopie!

Looking to go Ultralight

Oh yeah, I've been to Nacoochee. Good beer, Dead tunes and little hotties servin' it up...how did I forget????

I'll shoot ya that pm...seems I've taken my own thread off topic!

wb edge spinn tarp

Quote Originally Posted by Xristos View Post
    Howdy folks, general gear addict here. Nothing gets my juices flowing like researching and, finally, obtaining the next perfect toy to play with. However, I can always justify my obsession somehow (plus I'm not married and have nobody to whisper responsibilities in my ear). Yeah, the kitchen floor needs to be replaced and I haven't washed my clothes in hot water in over a year because I need to open up the wall and do some plumbing work. But, none of that is as cool as new gear....is it? Plus, I like pissing off my buddy who can only shake his head in (what I assume is) envy as I whip out my newest toy on the trail.

Well, I suppose this one goes in the "getting older" category as I recently did a short weekend pack in and out of the woods. Nothing crazy distance wise but work has kept me off the trails for a while and an entirely up hill climb in had me a bit wobbly in the knees and winded. Ok, it kicked my butt! Now, I could say I'm out of shape and hit the gym but I'd rather say my pack needs to be lighter

So to the point...I'm looking to put together an UL "summer" sleep system for the climate here in N. Georgia and into the Carolinas. The focus is backpacking as we hit GSMNP quite often. So, I'm not talking about use in lower elevation areas where night temps remain high in the summer. I'm talking Mountain temps. where there's often a nip to the air at night. I'm curious what you guys have encountered with UL systems (pros/cons) and what advice you might give.

A little background: I'm 6' and currently 185lbs but I sometimes fluctuate between here and 195lbs. I gloriously made the transition off the ground about 1.5 years ago. You can see my hammock setup in the little box on the left and this has been my first and only setup. Still tweaking things and learning. Haven't branched into DIY yet and I'm not sure I'm ready for that but I could be swayed

Here's a setup I have been considering with some approximate weights. I'd love to have your thoughts...

Darien UL 13.5oz
    Cuben Tarp 5.5oz?
    Suspension 4oz?
    Synthetic 40* UQ 8.5oz
    40* TQ (maybe w/ new Argon) 12oz?

Total = 43.50oz / 2.71lbs

Thanks in advance er'body
    Xristos
    Tarp no longer available
    Last edited by jjschaf; 02-09-2014 at 20:16. Reason: Tarp no longer available

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 SL & BMUL Bridge
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have a cabin in Sautee and eat at the Tavern every time I am up that way. Try their sandwiches! Awesome and gigantic. A half is your typical normal whole sandwich.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I have a cabin in Sautee and eat at the Tavern every time I am up that way. Try their sandwiches! Awesome and gigantic. A half is your typical normal whole sandwich.
    I'm from Jax and live just outside of Sautee near the trailhead to Yonah. The Tavern is pretty much the only place I eat around here. I always try to get people to come eat there after a we have a hang. I've turned a few of our members onto that place.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Hahaha ok I haven't seen this thread in a while and didn't realize I'd already posted about the Tavern. Disregard my previous post.

Hammock
    WBBB XL 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch & Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjschaf View Post
    Tarp no longer available
    What in the world are you talking about man? This was an old thread asking for advice on an UL setup, not one looking to buy/sell gear. Also, I already responded to your pm trying to sell me your spin tarp.

You should make your way to the Marketplace section of this forum.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12