Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I try a Speer?

I purchased a Warbonnet Blackbird a while ago and while I think it's superb quality I do have one complaint. Using it as a seat to just chill out and relax in is impractical. The ridgeline is directly in my face and/or head area so you can't really sit comfortably in it. I'm starting an AT thru hike in a couple of weeks and thought it would be nice to have a hammock I could actually sit and relax in. So I was wondering if you Speer owners find it comfortable using your hammock as a seat for cooking, relaxing, whatever???? Thanks

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Suave View Post
    I purchased a Warbonnet Blackbird a while ago and while I think it's superb quality I do have one complaint. Using it as a seat to just chill out and relax in is impractical. The ridgeline is directly in my face and/or head area so you can't really sit comfortably in it. I'm starting an AT thru hike in a couple of weeks and thought it would be nice to have a hammock I could actually sit and relax in. So I was wondering if you Speer owners find it comfortable using your hammock as a seat for cooking, relaxing, whatever???? Thanks
    my claytor jungle hammock serves all my needs,i set and sleep well in itneo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by neo; 03-13-2009 at 08:42.
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Suave View Post
    You could just add a quick-detach to your blackbird's ridgeline. Or alternatively, it would be pretty easy to just outright remove the ridgeline temporarily.

Several folks on these forums have cut the ridgeline on their hennessey hammocks, and added a carabiner in the middle somewhere so they can reattach it when they feel like it. Rather than investing in a whole new hammock, perhaps a simple mod like that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    You could just add a quick-detach to your blackbird's ridgeline. Or alternatively, it would be pretty easy to just outright remove the ridgeline temporarily.

Several folks on these forums have cut the ridgeline on their hennessey hammocks, and added a carabiner in the middle somewhere so they can reattach it when they feel like it. Rather than investing in a whole new hammock, perhaps a simple mod like that would work.

Never really thought about that. I guess with my lack of knowledge on hammocks I thought the ridgeline was structural and had to be there at all times. Thanks, I'll check that out

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    contact Warbonnetguy and ask his suggestion for doing that.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Before modifying your BB, you might consider a little ENO/TrekLight/TTTM single or double for use as a camp seat.

On a recent trip, my BB setup was my preferred sleeping quarters and I hung an ENO Singlenest next to the fire/food/social area of our campground and used it as a seat while we cooked, visted, and just relaxed.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    So far, my biggest complaint about the Blackbird is the netting tie outs. It seems like you have to get them really tight to get everything set up correctly. When you enter and exit the hammock, you have to duck under the netting. I haven't spent enough time in it, to use it as a seat yet. If someone had a bad back or something, wouldn't this really be an issue? I would much rather have the side tieouts attached to the hammock body, rather than the netting. If the Speers had zippers around the netting, I would have one instead of the Blackbird. I just absolutely hate velcro that is over 2 feet long! So check most of the Jacks R Better and Speers products off of the list of things I'll have in my arsenal.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, modifying the ridgleline isn't that difficult. A biner to join/unjoin would do the trick and be really easy to switch back and forth. I've been thinking of doing the same to mine. The only thing the ridgeline does is set a consistent sag in the hammock; that's what "structural" refers to. You could remove the ridgeline altogether if you wanted to; the BB would still be just as comfy you'd just have to pay attention to the sag when setting it up.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Before modifying your BB, you might consider a little ENO/TrekLight/TTTM single or double for use as a camp seat.

On a recent trip, my BB setup was my preferred sleeping quarters and I hung an ENO Singlenest next to the fire/food/social area of our campground and used it as a seat while we cooked, visted, and just relaxed.

If I was going on a LONG hike, I don't think I would be carrying two hammocks??? I wouldn't even carry two hammocks on an overnighter.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    I wouldn't even carry two hammocks on an overnighter.
    Ooo, I often do that. It's nice to have a 'camp' hammock set-up just for sitting/lounging. The weight penelty of just the TrekLight or ENO (no tarp or quilt) isn't much if it's just an in and out of the woods. Speaking of "in and out", I'm hungry.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast