WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    No apologies necessary. I don't really disagree. Just remember this is an old thread. My toys have taken me to -27°F since this thread began and I've slept the night away in a hammock on top of more than one 14er suspended between rocks.

I wouldn't consider climbing a tree very extreme though. Ed Speer was doing that way back in the day to avoid Grizzly bears. Excellent campfire tale to hear.
    Agreed your toys don't make you extreme unless you use them in conditions like you describe. However doesn't hiking and camping in extreme weather conditions make you an extreme outdoorsman whether you are in a tent or a hammock?

I would also argue that climbing trees may not be extreme (I did it as a child), however hanging your hammock up when you have a significant drop beneath you (either 50' up in a tree or hanging on the side of a cliff) and being to sleep comfortably is not something most people would do.

So yes I do think you are an extreme hanger Cannibal, but not because of your toys, or the weather, but your cliff hanging. I think your an extreme outdoorsman (and the others) because of your ability to deal with extreme weather.

I didn't know that about Ed, I would also consider him extreme.

It maybe an old thread but it is a good one.

P.S. Cannibal, I am really going to have to make a trip to Colorado, I'd love to sit around a campfire and hear some stories. Maybe next summer or fall.
    Last edited by lesspayne; 08-10-2013 at 11:57.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    What about the ones who risk the wraith of a significant other to spend the night in their hammock? That's pretty darn extreme in my book. And if you don't believe me then go marry a Sicilian whose family has mafia ties.
    My hats off to you good sir. I hope she doesn't fit you with some concrete shoes.

Images
    I've got a couple for you that may have been overlooked. And what I am basing this on is: it's not just the extremes you go to, but what you accomplish it with.

OK, Turk was always way extreme early on and may be the most extreme by some measures, plus how about 4dog and also some of the NY boys? And of course Ed Speer was, as far as I know, the original extreme hanger!

And also it is common knowledge that Shug has had some extreme adventures not only by hanging in extreme temps, but backpacking through the cold day before he ever hangs his hammock. But when he first did that backpacking trip where he hit minus 26-27, there was someone with him. Y'all remember who? Kwpapke. And what was Kurt using? A beefed up HHSS. His goal was to accomplish this frigid hike and hang using only gear he already had and as much as possible with gear he would have with him at those temps anyway. And it just so happened that the HHSS was his only hammock insulation system, so by Golly he was going to try to make that work. And he did. I think he added a summer weight down sleeping bag under the HH pad plus maybe his down parka rather than sleeping in it. Plus a zero rated REI syn bag beefed up with plenty of warm layers and rain gear as VB, for top warmth. He was plenty warm both nights ( one was a balmy minus 5, 2nd night was minus 27F), but wishing for a minus 40F bag so he wouldn't have to hassle with all of those layers in a bag. But it kept him warm. I thought that was pretty extreme.

Fronkey was already mentioned for his extreme solo adventures. But I think he also did it with relatively little gear ( not certain, can't remember the details) by going with head to toe VB clothing. I'm still hoping for that VB report from him someday if he ever comes back to us!

But one more not yet mentioned, and if you are considering amount of gear used, he may be near bout king of the hill: minus 22F with ~ 35-40 MPH wind gusts for a minus 35-40F wind chill. Not record cold, you say? Ah, but what was he using? A stock HHSS and diamond tarp, the one I first start getting a bit chilled in about +32F. And I think he used a 15F Marmot bag for top warmth. He also told me about problems he had with ice forming inside his down bag from frozen condensation, but still he was warm enough to get through the night. Ladies and Gentlemen, that is extreme! Sure he had plenty of warm clothing layers, but only what most sane folks would have with them anyway under such insane conditions.

So there Ya go, a couple of more to consider!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-10-2013 at 17:41.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ...He also told me about problems he had with ice forming inside his down bag from frozen condensation, but still he was warm enough to get through the night. Ladies and Gentlemen, that is extreme! Sure he had plenty of warm clothing layers, but only what most sane folks would have with them anyway under such insane conditions...
    I would say to anyone that when you have frozen condensation INSIDE your bag, that is extreme.

Good stuff, all.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567