Tarp
    Off my old tent
    Insulation
    -5 Sleepybag.
    Suspension
    Web straps

A week at Scout Camp

Hi all.

I've not been around in a while, but nevertheless...here I am.

Just spent a week at T.L. Storer Scout Reservation with my Troop. I ran into another forum member out there (Ginixia), but that's another story.

Of the 6 nights at camp, I managed to hang for half of those. Sunday night was just too busy; I didn't set up until Monday. Monday and Tuesday were delightful nights under the stars in my rig.

But then it rained Wednesday evening. I retreated to my tent since I never bothered to rig a tarp in the early going. I certainly did that Thursday and was back out for part of the night. (But I couldn't find the sweet spot - I eventually went back to my bunk.)

And then Friday, I was enjoying a fine evening when a squall decided to blow through. Since I was under a jury-rig, I wasn't feeling that secure in the wind, so I retreated to my tent again. Good thing, too - everything got soaked.

I was in a Grand Trunk ultralight with a big old tent rain fly bashed together over it with miles of rope and sticks and poles. Two things are clear after this week....I need a real rainfly, and I'm sure as hell upgrading to that Night Owl before the fall season. (But on the other hand, my old "mosquito bar" tied to the ridgeline worked like a charm.)

Pix after I upload them!
    I prefer to remain an enigma.

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    Sounds like you had a great time anyways. The best thing to do when you get your tarp is try it out in the yard before taking it on a trip to get the kinks out. Good luck

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator, UGQ
    Just got back from our week at camp too. I hung all week. It was great! Much better than the canvas tents and cots, and NO bugs inside. This was my first real hang as well, other than the back yard and I can't wait for the next trip. I'm hooked!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    I love scout camp week!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    We had four of us hanging all week. 95 degree days made it a little warm at bedtime, but it was nice later. Rained like mad the last night we were there. All of us stayed bone dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    ALPS Mnt Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Str
    Just back from woodruff summercamp, too much going on Sunday night to get set up, but got to hang the other five. I had my night owl, and got to try the tadpole in the rain, worked great. We had myself, and two other scoutmasters, and two scouts hanging. By the end of the week, all four scoutmasters, and seven scouts were hanging. The trading post sold gt ultralights.

Hammock
    Expedition & WBBB
    Suspension
    woopie & straps
    Images

scout camp

I too am just back from a week at scout camp! great 7 nights of blissful sleep! Friday night I was woken up about 2:30 am the high wind had hit the right speed to get my hang straps humming! the whole hammock was singing! Warbonnet blackbird was as comfy as can be and the hennessey tarp kept me nice and dry through some very heavy rains

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/ Henne
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Continuous loop/ b
    Images
    Always loved the week of scout camp!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaFan View Post
    The trading post sold gt ultralights.
    Must be nice, ours only sells ENOs at full MSRP. A scout needs something less expensive to try on a whim or for their first hammock.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle | UCR
    I guess I should post my summer camp experience here.. Spent a the second week of July at Camp Durant (Carthage, NC) with a nightly temp from 69 to 73. I'm a warm sleeper, but needed to add my PLUQ to make sure there was no loss of blood through the hammock.

Weather was very warm and humid through the day, so nights were spent with a tent fan pointed at me all night to combat the humidity. I had rigged an adjustable ridgeline under my SuperFly to hang the fan from, but found that even on high, my RidgeRunner's bug net was pretty effective at deflecting the breeze away, so I had to sleep all week with the bugnet off. Thankfully there weren't that many bugs out.

We got about 2 inches of rain on Tuesday, and of course it came down when we were all out at the mess hall. At that point I realized I had left the tarp rigged really high up and the doors pulled back to allow every little bit of breeze through and just knew my hammock was getting wet. When I got back to camp, my pillow was damp, the bug net had little droplets of water all over it, and my tarp was dripping a fair bit of water through the pullout seams. Overall I was lucky the SuperFly is such a large tarp, all of my stuff could easily have been soaked through..

After slogging around adjusting the tarp guys to bring things down, I finally had things under control and reflected on all of the things I did wrong..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast