Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

WBBB XLC Questions

Considering a WBBB XLC, in 1.1 DL, probably skipping the top-cover for now. Weighing against the standard WBBB and some other options.

A few questions for those who have an XLC, or are otherwise "in the know."

1) I heard tell of a 10' WBBB convertible option in the XLC announcement thread, with folks getting on a list to see if there was demand. Did any such hammock ever happen? Haven't seen any posts about it and it's not listed on the Warbonnet web site that I could see. My biggest "like" of the XLC is the "C" part of it (although the increased airflow is also nice), so if I could get that with less weight in the 10' length, that may be my best choice.

2) I assume the weight of the over-cover is about 6.5 ounces from the Warbonnet web site (difference between "net only" and full version of the XLC). Given that I'll likely always carry a full tarp in cold weather to shield the UQ from wind, I don't think losing that option will be a major issue (plus I think Brandon said one could buy that piece separately later). But, I'm curious what the weight of the net itself is. That is, what would the netless version of the hammock weigh? This is important to me because of the tradeoff between reduced carry weight for the XLC when the net isn't needed vs. the inconvenience of the single zipper pull, especially when adjusting the underquilt. Depending on weights, maybe I'd go back to my original plan of a 1.1 DL Traveler with custom Knotty Mod (to help keep my TQ in) plus a separate bug net.

Thanks for any thoughts or insights. BTW, I'm 6'1" and 210, so I'm on the margin for needing the extra length of the XLC. I've not found any length issues, though, in my ENO-DN or Hennessy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    I just ordered an xlc dl and asked about modifying it like a bb and was told that there are no modifications at this time. that was as of last Tuesday.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for that information kingdomseeder. I hope you get your XLC soon and enjoy it!

So, do any XLC owners have a scale to weigh the removable bug netting to see how much weight one would save carrying the XLC in convertible mode vs. as if it were a typical WBBB (and so I can compare the weight to the Traveler)?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Re: WBBB XLC Questions

The netting by my scales is 7.25 ounces. That includes the standard guy lines that come attached to this section. Also this includes the shelf.
    Last edited by TallPaul; 07-22-2013 at 10:51.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    The netting by my scales is 7.25 ounces. That includes the standard guy lines that come attached to this section. Also this includes the shelf.
    Thanks TallPaul!

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I contacted Brandon when the WB XLC first came out about a 10' version, He said maybe down the road when things calmed down. I'm waiting for the 10 footer and will be one of the first few to get one. I love the new design but I don't need the 11 foot length nor does fit under my tarps very well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Cool

Thanks my thinking too krshome. But, I'm in the market now and the talk has been going on for 6 months -- and it seems Brandon is keeping busy with orders. So, I think I've decided to pull the trigger on the standard WBBB; I'll likely order tonight.

The weight savings for the 11' XLC without either net or cover vs. the 10' BB WITH the net is negligible -- an ounce or two. Since I'd prefer a convertible option primarily to save weight and avoid the need to decide which of two hammocks (netless and netted) I bring on a given trip, it's not worth the extra money to me, especially since when carrying the bugnet it's a weight penalty (due primarily to the length). I currently use a HH Explorer and the length (shorter than 10' BB) isn't a problem for me.

That said, a part of me worries the XLC would be so much more comfortable -- and with the top cover, warm -- and I'll regret my decision. (Of course, then I can sell the WBBB on the forum and get an 10' XLC maybe?)

So, if I see you on the trail, please don't offer to let me try out your XLC -- I don't need that kind of stress!

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I knew about the bridge hammock a year and a half befor Brandon released it, these things take time to get to market so don't hold your breath. I have a WBBB 1.7 and for the winter I use a burrito cover so no rush for me. I don't think you will regret buying the BB, enjoy it cheers

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Having owned both the WBBB 10 foot and the XLC 11 foot I much prefer the 11 foot. I seem to have less issues with calf ridge pressure with the XLC. The other very noticeable improvement with the XLC is the additonal bug netting in place of nylon at the foot box and the entry side of the hammock. You get a very noticeable improvement in visibility and air flow in the XLC which is really nice in hot weather.

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Here's some of the component weights on my DL 1.7 XLC

Net Cover - 6.3 oz.
    Ripstop Cover - 8.5 oz
    Stuff Sack - 0.9 oz.
    Tie Outs & Mitten Hooks - 1.1 oz.

I swapped out the standard webbing suspension for the suspension I prefer which is Dutch Whoopie Hooks with 6' 7/64 Amsteel Whoopie Slings and 6' Tree Straps with Ti Dutch Clips

Using that suspension I plan to take this hammock out in one of three configurations and here is the weight of the hammock, suspension, and stuff sack in each:

w/ Solid Cover - 39.0 oz.
    w / Bug Netting - 36.9 oz.
    Minimalist No Cover - 30.6 oz

I think Brandon is using a heavier zipper now so that might add a bit of weight on a newer one. In practice I found the XLC to be a more comfortable than the Blackbird especially when hung correctly. I also had this hammock out in the winter with temps in the low teens and saw a 10 degree temperature differential inside when using the solid cover.

I think either would be a great choice - you also might want to check out the Thunderbird at Dream hammock which is a nice alternative to the XLC at a similar weight and price point.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Black Foot; 07-24-2013 at 17:49.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

• + New Posts