Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    what's the name of those chairs again?
    That would be the legendary REI flex-lite. Now available at the cost of only one arm(and a leg).

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

I sat in mine for the first time as soon as I got our tarps up (storm coming), after the grueling hike in....it seemed worth the cost!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I got to the Pat's Island trailhead parking lot about 5:15pm or so.
    The drive was nice with partly cloudy, sunny skies turning mostly cloudy, then constant cloudiness with a short drive in a small passing shower.
    As I entered FR10 off of SR19, it started sprinkling just a little but steadly spitting at me. I was expecting a soupy road due to many days of afternoon storms and a scout report sent in by LifeScout a few weeks earlier, but the access road was a delight with narry a bump and almost completely dry looking with just 2 small low areas that had a small wet sheen to them . I guess it had been regraded recently and packed tight with the daily heavenly watering.

While still in the car, due to increasing rain, I decided to put on my FrogToggs top and bottoms to walk around and check out the area since I was the first to show. From the parking lot, before going back to the road, there is an access to a trail. I can only assume it leads to the FT due to the direction it leads off into, and a very large cargo net spun by a banana spider stopping my progress to find it's termination.

After a short passage of time, Zukiguy pulls up followed a short time later by Lilricky. After we all got our packs ready, raingear on, me in my FrogToggs and Zukiguy and Lilricky in their ponchos, we headed off to the trailhead ~100yards West of the parking lot.

The rain now was in full gear. The cloud's spout pouring it's contents on us like it was part of the plan. That wonderful rain lasted until we got to Hidden pond. The hike in was wet, but mostly due to my sweating in the rainsuit. A few times it slowed enough to remove the hood for a better look around as we continued in a consistent hike towards our destination. We started at 5:47pm and arrived in camp at 7:27pm. A few stops for latrine, spiders, bear looking footprints and pics made it exciting for the upcoming experience.

At camp, we wasted no time looking for the perfect trees to call home. We walked past the common area/fire pit West through the trees to the edge of what should be Crooked Sapling Pond. Zukiguy and Lilricky took the trees to the right and I took the trees to the left. It was a nice view and due to the clouds covering the sun, it was neither hot nor too bright and just the perfect amount of wind. The rain stopped for a short time to allow us to set up our tarps before starting again. I was thinking how wonderful it was to set up dry, under the tarp instead of scrambling to get a tent canopy in place before jumping into a cocoon. Zukiguy was finished and came over to my setup to have a chat as I finished. My tarp has an 11' ridgeline and 10' side span to give us plenty of space to relax. I set it up high at almost head level to allow stretching room.

After all was set up and a little recon around camp, supper was at hand and the rain continued enough to not allow for a fire. We split to our respective shelters for dinner from the hammock. Of course, I spilled a little of my Spanish rice as I poured it into the waiting hillbilly pot. While my supper was simmering, I picked through the underbrush for all the rice and spices I could find to remove as much of the smell and animal temptation as I could. Yummy time!

Night came quickly enough while we ate and talked a little. The temperture was very nice due to the rain and that constant breeze was welcomed and kept the mosquitos away. After some time, we had new company with LifeScout and the yet to be renamed C+1 showing up to our wet forested haven. They too were greeted by the Ocala Forest with a cleansing rain. In what seemed like no time at all, they had strung their tarps, hammocks and gear hammocks between the trees next to Zukiguy.

Time to call it a night. Cool temps and constant drizzle with a breeze until morning. Sleeping with no underquilt and only a small fleece blanket, wearing longsleeve shirt and shorts, I awoke a few times only for a, watering the trees, trip and listening to the sounds of pitter-patter on the tarp. It was a wonderful and relaxing sleep with the sounds of nature and rain. I heard something close a few times also, but it didn't seem to be large or have an invading nature to it. At 5:30am I wanted to get up and start a fire for my company's breakfast, but, due to the raindrops still hitting my tarp, I slept in a little. I managed to blink 2 times and it was 8:30am, daylight aplenty, and a happy, perky Zukiguy greeting me with a "good morning sunshine". It's gonna be a great day.

After proper introductions, I set off to find some halfway dried wood and monkeyhair to start the fire. With a little bit of doing and some skill, I got the fire going. OK, the elixer, provided by Lilricky, used for an alki-stove did most of the work. The fire grew enough to dry the wood gathered and soon, we had lift-off. We gathered more wood to dry while breakfast was had by all. Soon enough, I was full, warm, dry and happy. It's glorious to be in the woods with good company. We made a rustic fire ring with all the logs gathered to dry out. Zukiguy brought a nice saw made by a friend of his and it was put to good use cutting throughout our time there.

Later in the day, Duffy and MightyMouse made their entrance. They too got the baptism experienced by all of us on their way in to camp. After they set up, it was time for a dip in Hidden Pond. As the troop; Lilricky, Zukiguy, LifeScout, (newly named)C+1, Duffy and MightyMouse, marched off to cool themselves, I stayed behind to make a snack for all of them. I brought in a pound, (16 ounces for those that can't stand pounds)of caned ham, 14oz jar of pizza sauce, assorted spices and a box of Stovetop stuffing. It smelled pretty good, cooked over the fire, in the pan I also brought in. As it simmered over a few coals to the side of the fire, I ran to the pond and dropped a cannonball on the blissful group of hikers chillaxing in the coolness.

Night. After some time passed, enough to make us worried that FLRider was not among us yet, Lilricky and I set out with lights in hand (or head), under another light shower, to locate our missing sponsor. A few spiderwebs and a little trail later, Lilricky let out a "Whooooo Buddyyyyyy!" followed by a short distant "Whoooooo". In comes FLRider with a big smile on his wet face. After a short, warm welcome, we went into camp and settled in.

I slept even better this night then last and the temps were just perfect. After an early rise, I set off to the fire pit to bring life back into the coals. With just a slight touch of a chill in the air, MightyMouse came into the common area and sat near the fire, flipflops on her feet and a sleeveless down jacket on her torso. It was a sight, nice enough, to see the content look on her face. Midsummer Florida July weather is to be envied when viewed from the piney woods.

After a very satisfying cool treat from FLRider, it was time to say our goodbyes. First to depart are Duffy and MightyMouse. It was very good to see you both if for a short time. Lilricky followed by Zukiguy are next to leave. It was a wonderful hike in the rain with you both. Both are very experienced and I appreciate your wisdom. For me, I wanted to stay another night with FLRider, but my brother came into town. I hadn't seen him in a few years. LifeScout, C+1 and I left at 1:00pm. The sun and the heat had set in by this time. On our way out, we stopped in the few shady spots available for a cooldown and sip of water. The temp reached 105F on the thermometer on my shoulder. I had a reenergizing 2 nights time in the hammock and felt really good. After a short time on the trail, I skipped the next break with LifeScout and C+1 and moved on down the trail. Due to the rain on my trek in, I didn't get to see to much of the landscape. Now, with clear skies, I could see the next ridgeline/treeline everytime I got to the top of the current ridge. Not the mountains, but in Florida, it really is a bunch of beautiful rolling hills.

After a few stops to clean the sweat from my face and sips of water I reached the bottom of the last hill. It's the sandy incline to the Yearling trail/FT crossroad. I can see the thicker tree canopy and want that shade. After another sip of water, I pushed myself, panting all the way up the straight trail. It seems like ~5 story elevation, but this part of the trail also has no top cover, but, is closed in here with overhead high walls covering on both sides and no wind. Whew!.

Passed the hard part. Now, under tall pines with some canopy overhead, I had a nice stroll to the trailhead and then the car. Made it out in 1:30 Hours, just before the rain started. On the way home, I could see the dark clouds behind me and knew FLRider was gonna get womped by some Florida Rainstorms. I hope LifeScout and C+1 got out in time.
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 07-24-2013 at 22:46.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    So very sorry about the long trip report. I started typing on breaks and kept coming back to it and didn't realize how long it was.

I also have some raw video but don't know how to transfer it to the forums.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Sorry for the delay on pics and video; life's been pretty crazy since I got back home. I should have something up later today.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    So very sorry about the long trip report.
    Enjoyed it Hanger! 105 degrees!!!!!! Glad we hiked out when it was a little cooler.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Photos!

Am currently working on the video. I may have it done today; I may not. Either way, enjoy some photos while you wait!

Chatting around the fire:

lilricky in his native habitat:

Duffy takes good care of MightyMouse:

Obligatory group photo:

My current rig:

A pair of views of Crooked Sapling Pond (which is on the other side of Hidden Pond from the FT):

The south end of Juniper Prairie Wilderness Area:

Attached Images Attached Images
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

More Photos!

Ominous weather rolling in on me:

Dead trees rise from the scrubby wasteland like a corpse's clutching fingers:

Attached Images Attached Images
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Boy have I Enjoyed the trip reports and pictures except one! FLHanger, do me a favor, no more close ups of Fl rider! That freaked me out man! haha, just kidding!

Reading all and seeing the pics, makes me wish I coulda joined ya. Great write ups all!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Video!

Part one is up:

I need to start getting ready for work in a few minutes, so part two will be after work tonight. Part one covers the actual hang, while part two is my solo out there after everyone headed home.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    Excellent work, Rider, as usual. Thanks for your inspiration, hope we can do it again...next year!
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast