Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Sarge posted this in another thread. Dropping it here for further research and consideration.
    That's just an opinion, though. And I should mention that my needs may be different from yours as I live in coastal Texas and most of the places I hike and camp are comparatively moderate in winter than in the northern tier of states. I'm also partial to synthetics due to the wet climate here.

JRB also has a Hennessy system.

I've not used the Super Shelter, but from what I've read it appears to be a bit more fiddly than what I'd want to be messing with 15 miles from the trailhead.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Pretty wet in the PNW! I appreciate your perspective and first hand experience. Will look into JRB also. I want full coverage, comfort and simple. Life is complex enough and most outings will be family, fishing or hunting. Less time fiddling is better time spent elsewhere. Thanks.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    If you always use the same rig, you can just leave the SuperShelter on your hammock. I am always changing my hammock so, I put the SS on each time, not necessary if you setup the system and leave it with the rest of the kit.

I live on the West coast, I have been soaked several times until I figured out how to stay dry. So far with my SS I have not been rained on. Just a matter of figuring it out.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, Owl! I may try that someday just for fun. And if you get the UC + pad back into the original sack, you will save some significant volume. I doubt any similarly warm full length down UQ plus UQP could pack down very much smaller! But I have not put it to the test.
    I'm using an Osprey Kestrel 68 that my sons bought me for Father's Day a few years ago. And I have to admit, I tend to darn near fill it up whenever I go out. Pack weight is typically about 20lbs.

I've found that I seem to use less volume packing the hammock and underquilt into WL's Lazy Slug Tubes (along with the woobie and fleece blanket I use for top insulation in the summer) directly into the bottom of my backpack than I did packing the hammock/UC in skins and putting the undercover into it's bishop bag in the backpack.

I think that's because it shapes to the bottom of the backpack much better than trying to stuff already compressed items in their own bags down into the bottom of the bag.

I'll get more opportunity to test this all and compare it more effectively this fall when I can resume my cooler weather camping.

I've also ordered an OWL topquilt that I'll have in sometime soon that I'll replace my synthetic sleeping bag with, which I think will further reduce weight and volume in my pack.

Images

HH Explorer Deluxe UQ Help

Owl,
    Consider this: if you stuff the entire Hammock, undercover, HH pad, And sometimes I even leave my top quilt zipped up inside the hammock and stuff that whole thing down into the bottom of your Pack, won't that work in a similar fashion to just stuffing down quilts down into the pack? Saving room, filling every nook and cranny rather than putting all of these things – whether the super shelter or down quilts – into individual stuff sacks?
    Now I'm not saying that the super shelter system will pack down as small in this fashion as will down quilts, but the principle/theory seems the same to me.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I finally gave up on the whole "try to stuff it all in the pack, then try to get everything else in there" route, and went ahead and designed a pack that carries my hammock stuff in separate compartments.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I finally gave up on the whole "try to stuff it all in the pack, then try to get everything else in there" route, and went ahead and designed a pack that carries my hammock stuff in separate compartments.
    My idea of separate compartments has lately been using a MMP, with everything in separate stuff sacks strapped onto the pack. Got to admit I like that approach also.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Owl,
    Consider this: if you stuff the entire Hammock, undercover, HH pad, And sometimes I even leave my top quilt zipped up inside the hammock and stuff that whole thing down into the bottom of your Pack, won't that work in a similar fashion to just stuffing down quilts down into the pack? Saving room, filling every nook and cranny rather than putting all of these things – whether the super shelter or down quilts – into individual stuff sacks?
    Now I'm not saying that the super shelter system will pack down as small in this fashion as will down quilts, but the principle/theory seems the same to me.
    I'd agree it works in theory. My son has tried something similar,but ended up with several small tears in his underpad that I think were a result of this.

That underpad is just too delicate to put much pressure on, IMHO.

Images

HH Explorer Deluxe UQ Help

Owl, Good point about how delicate that pad is! I had quite a few holes in the pad from my first super shelter that I got about seven years ago. But so far I have not got any holes in the newer pads. Mainly because I finally figured out that my fingertips and that HH pad do not mix! So whenever I stuff the entire system into my pack, and/or a separate dry sack, I am extremely careful to keep some hammock fabric and/or space blanket between my hands and the pad. And most of all always trying to keep my fingertips away from the pad. So far in recent years no more new holes in the pads. But it sure is something to look out for!

Hammock
    HHED ZIP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    NewRiver,Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just ordered a Jarbidge and a New River from Arrowhead Equipment.
    I have the same setup as you, Mumbles.
    Hennessy Expl Asym Zip.
    The Jarbidge is on sale!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast