Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Lack of love?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mountain Gout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Posts
    1,464

    Lack of love?

    Good morning all... Well, I have changed my gear in the last week or so..
    Sold some to get some kinda thing.. Been looking around at the smaller tarps, And kinda wondering something about the warbonnet edge and the seemingly lack of love it gets?... Every time the smaller tarp preference gets mentioned, the tadpole seems to prevail..great tarp, I have owned 2 of them.btw... Seems the edge is 2in. wider at even a lighter weight, and a door option.... I have never heard anything bad about them, but not a whole lot either..... Maybe all in my head?.. Any input welcome.. Probably buyin one real soon anyway...... Brandons goods are all top notch....This much I know..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

  2. #2
    Senior Member Gravity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Hammock
    Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    MAMW || UGQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hook
    Posts
    495
    Good question, I am curious also.

    One thing that I could point out is that even though doors are an option for the Edge, the cost of the doors is $75, which is almost as much as the cost of the entire tarp at $85. The doors weight 7.2 ounces, increasing the weight of the system by 64%, to a total of 18.45 ounces. Considering that the Superfly weights 19 ounces, the equations slants in favor of the Superfly for the added coverage. As for price, an Edge with doors comes to $160, while the SF is $130. The advantage of the doors, of course, is that you could leave those 7.2 ounces at home if you wanted. So a lot depends on how you hike/camp.
    Last edited by Gravity; 07-22-2013 at 09:25.

  3. #3
    dangerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Littlerock AFB Ar.
    Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Posts
    1,136
    Images
    59
    If i'm not mistaken the Edge has also recently been modified in shape and price. I think it used to have a 126 ridgeline and cost a little more than it does now. Back then the Tadpole was the better deal and now that the Edge has become more competitive, I think people are just stuck in the mindset of the Tadpole being the better deal without actually considering the Edges new changes. Of course I could be totally wrong.
    -Jon-
    Beware of the man who owns one gun, he probably shoots it well.

  4. #4
    dragon360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Posts
    6,386
    Images
    1
    Looking at it I would agree with dangerous and his thoughts.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mountain Gout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    If i'm not mistaken the Edge has also recently been modified in shape and price. I think it used to have a 126 ridgeline and cost a little more than it does now. Back then the Tadpole was the better deal and now that the Edge has become more competitive, I think people are just stuck in the mindset of the Tadpole being the better deal without actually considering the Edges new changes. Of course I could be totally wrong.
    Yep... I believe you nailed it.... Gonna check with Brandon on just getting a half door kit.. I like the setup, less stakes as opposed to griz beaks..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

  6. #6
    Senior Member KMACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Western CT
    Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Posts
    660
    For what its worth my friend recently received is WB Edge tarp along w/door kit and loves it. I on the other hand am saving for a Tadpole...I already have the Bigdaddy so I guess its a loyalty thing...?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mountain Gout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    For what its worth my friend recently received is WB Edge tarp along w/door kit and loves it. I on the other hand am saving for a Tadpole...I already have the Bigdaddy so I guess its a loyalty thing...?
    ... Marty is an awesome fella, with great gear to boot..
    Well. since I now have a superfly, maybe I am doin the same thing...
    These fellas are a win- win..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

  8. #8
    Senior Member Gravity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Hammock
    Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    MAMW || UGQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hook
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    If i'm not mistaken the Edge has also recently been modified in shape and price...
    You're right, there was a post back in May. Here's the link:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=73454

  9. #9
    silentorpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Hammock
    DH-TB 11', WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear!
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Posts
    1,785
    I've wondered the same thing. But then I thought about it a little ...

    For comparisons sake, when I was looking at tarps I made a spreadsheet with the dimensions, weights, and cost of all the tarps frequently discussed on the forums. So just prior to the change, the Edge was 126" x 98", and $85. The tadpole was and is 132" x 92" and also $85.

    I went with an Edge, since I wanted a little more side to side coverage, and didn't care as much about the length. Besides, I have a Blackbird, so I figured they were made to play nice with each other.

    The new Edges are 132" x 94", and still $85.

    I personally love my Edge. It's a great tarp, and though I've yet to be out in inclement weather with it, I feel confident that with proper hanging and site selection I could stay nice and dry.

    The big benefit to the Tadpole, IMHO, is the ability to add options and customize. You can add pull outs, add hardware, add more tie out loops, and have a couple color options - all from the maker. They all add to the cost ... but it allows you the ability to make it your own, without having to DIY the mods.

    Personally, I like Olive Brown, and I didn't want all the bells and whistles - so the Edge was perfect for me.

    YMMV

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mountain Gout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    I've wondered the same thing. But then I thought about it a little ...

    For comparisons sake, when I was looking at tarps I made a spreadsheet with the dimensions, weights, and cost of all the tarps frequently discussed on the forums. So just prior to the change, the Edge was 126" x 98", and $85. The tadpole was and is 132" x 92" and also $85.

    I went with an Edge, since I wanted a little more side to side coverage, and didn't care as much about the length. Besides, I have a Blackbird, so I figured they were made to play nice with each other.

    The new Edges are 132" x 94", and still $85.

    I personally love my Edge. It's a great tarp, and though I've yet to be out in inclement weather with it, I feel confident that with proper hanging and site selection I could stay nice and dry.

    The big benefit to the Tadpole, IMHO, is the ability to add options and customize. You can add pull outs, add hardware, add more tie out loops, and have a couple color options - all from the maker. They all add to the cost ... but it allows you the ability to make it your own, without having to DIY the mods.

    Personally, I like Olive Brown, and I didn't want all the bells and whistles - so the Edge was perfect for me.

    YMMV
    Great comments.. I do love the olive brown as well.. Better than the black as far as stealth goes.. imo..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Similar Threads

  1. I love the blackbird xlc and I love the customer service
    By hanglife in forum Warbonnet Hammocks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 13:35
  2. lack of trees
    By trouttracker in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 20:57
  3. Love the Hammock, Love the History
    By rabyrn in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 18:35

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •