Thread: wild hair

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none

wild hair

well, I caught one.

I threw my pack in the car before I left for work today. About an hour ago, I finally decided I was going to go camping this weekend. I'm heading to half-way creek camp site on the Swamp Fox section of the Palmetto Trail for at least a night and part of a day, maybe 2 nights if I'm comfortable.

I don't have an underquilt and my insulation is a plastic sheet, a blue ccf pad from walmart and an emergency blanket. The temps are supposed to get down in the 40's tonight, so I've packed some extra warm clothing just in case.

Here's to hoping it doesn't rain so I can build a nice fire.

Dinner is bagels, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese wrapped in foil. I'll use the fire to warm them if I get one started, otherwise I may have to let it hover over the jetboil or eat it cold.

Wish me luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Luck wished!
    Love those wild hairs, you never know when one is going to sprout!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    SBPro/Speer DIY
    Tarp
    8x10 shiny green
    Insulation
    ThermoRest
    Images
    Consider me jealous! Enjoy your trip, fulminated!

I've the pleasure of assisting in throwing a 5 year old girls birthday party this weekend. It's gonna be GREAT!

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    good stuff, get out there and into it.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Well, my wild hair didn't pay off very well.

It took longer to get to the campsite than I figured it would because they had roads closed off. I knew about them, so I wasn't caught by surprise, but I had no idea the detour would be that long.

So I got to the site, picked out a spot (they were all empty) and setup the tarp and hammock. I decided that I could grab a bite to eat while I went for a walk. I found the southern entrance to the Swamp Fox Passage and took it. Along the way, I started noticing things. Beer cans every where, little scraps of trash, big scraps of trash and there were even some chunks of what I can only guess to be car bumper. I didn't have my camera with me right then, so I didn't get pics. I should have taken this omen and packed up and left. But no, I soldiered on.

I turned around and walked to the northern passage. I hooked a left off of the beaten path and noticed 3 tree stumps that looked like they'd been cut with an axe. "Strange" I thought. They would have been live trees and I if the management is going to cut one down, they'll probably use a chain saw. Then, I walked back to my car and noticed the fire ring. Lying across the fire ring is a tree. At one end of this tree is what looks like redneck surgery. I should have taken this omen and left. But no, I soldiered on.

It's starting to get dark and chilly now, so I change cloths, have myself a warm drink from sulfurish water and bundle up in the hammock. My sleeping bag works great as a blanket, but I had to engage in some sleeping pad gymnastics to get adjusted. Finally. No cold spots, feet are warm, back is warm, butt is warm. I drift off to dreamland.

BANG!

I'm startled awake by 3 vehicles pulling into the opening beside me, cranking up their country music and having 15 or so people pile out. They proceed to build a fire with firewood they brought and the tree (they probably) cut down. At this point, I figure maybe they'll leave soon, but I remember folks in high school and college going out to the woods to drink without being harassed by police.

So I give up and probably set a record for the fasted camp take down in your under wear, ever. Finally, one of them must have noticed that they woke a camper because she asked where I was going. I wonder if she could see the look on my face.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Should have waited till they were drunk and telling ghost stories. Then you could have snuck up on them and scared the hillbilly out of em!
    Sorry about your luck. Sometimes it pays to walk a half mile or so off the beaten track, just to be sure.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Should have waited till they were drunk and telling ghost stories. Then you could have snuck up on them and scared the hillbilly out of em!
    Sorry about your luck. Sometimes it pays to walk a half mile or so off the beaten track, just to be sure.
    Being alone and out some place I'd never been, I wanted to stay close to the car. In retrospect, it would have been a lot better to go back a few miles down the road and find the pay campsite and fork over the 5 or 10 bucks.

I would have slept well and there's probably someone on duty at least.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That's likely to get you shot. I don't suggest it. Funny idea though.

Too bad about all the trash, and vandalism. I really hate that. I've been out in the woods hunting and have come across buckets of used motor oil, industrial rooftop air conditioners... All kinds of crap. I always report it to the DNR, but I'm pretty sure they never catch anyone. Few things make me angrier.

wild hair

I thought you meant something like this

I love living where there are not many people and with 100,000 lakes to choose from chances are the bush party will be somewhere else.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    looks like a nice spring day in Saskatoon.

I visited there once. Was impressed that the parking lots at the University had power plug-in for the cars' engine heaters. That's civilized! Where I grew up we just took the battery out of the car and brought it into the house until we needed to go again.

Grizz

• + New Posts