Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    For the pack normally I clip it to the hammock suspension.
    Since I don't hunt I am not sure, but I can see my uncle who is an avid hunter take a gear hammock and put it in there wrapped in a a piece of oil cloth. At least I think that what they used to wrap firearms in, in the olden days.
    That is what I would do cause of the odd size and weight/position of a rifle instead of trying to hang it off of the suspension.
    I hope my rambling helps a little.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I usually do the ground cloth thing, or if you don't want any extra weight you can use your ponch and sort of wrap it up so there is no ground contact.

I have been thinking about making a gear hammock though for just this reason. It would be a stupid easy project and add about 6 oz to the pack but I just haven't got around to it.

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Get a couple Gear straps and a silicone sock and hang the rifle from your suspension or a soft case and sleep with it. as for packs I like to hang mine at the head of my hammock, it lowers the head end a little

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ataris121 View Post
    as for packs I like to hang mine at the head of my hammock, it lowers the head end a little
    That's a really good idea!
    I usually put my pack on the ground just because my tarp isn't that much longer then my hammock, but I think I'll re arang some stuff and try this next time.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You can always use a pack cover made from silnylon or cuben by Zpacks for the pack,,trash bags (don't weight much if anything) work as well over pack and rifle even if its encased. Hang them both off the tree that you tie to if you don't want to put them on the ground. If I am carrying a poncho,,these work also when not packing or carrying. I have also packed a camo umbrella that I have used for rain especially when hunting,,doesn't weigh that much and is worth its weight in a downpour.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I typically do the tyvek/cover option for my pack and other spare items. I have one of the "Just Jeff's" pack covers so I could rig it as a gear hammock but so far I just haven't had the desire to do so.

This weekend at the "no underquilt hang" here in Ocala I believe Life Scout may have changed my mind. He and his wife both had larger gear hammocks that doubled as hammock chairs during the day. In a pinch these could be pressed into service for kids too. In order to have the gear hammock off the ground but below my main hammock it requires hanging a bit higher than I'd prefer. For cold weather or high wind I'm not sure how well this will work. I'm now wondering if I can rig maybe a side pullout or something to offset the two slightly (just brainstorming). Time to get some cheap fabric and start prototyping....

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hang the pack from the suspension and the rifle from the ridgeline (if you have one).

I don't generally have much left in my pack once I'm setup, so it usually just goes under my legs in the hammock. The times that I do want it out of the hammock, it is either hung on the suspension as ataris121 explained, or hooked to the tree (nice weather).

I have had success hanging a rifle/shotgun from the ridgeline with two loops. It does change the lay of the hammock a bit depending on how heavy the firearm, but never so much that I regret doing it. I just am not comfortable with a firearm outside of my immediate control; especially when sleeping.

Now if you want to change hammocks, the Ridgerunner handles the problem nicely.

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I typically do the tyvek/cover option for my pack and other spare items. I have one of the "Just Jeff's" pack covers so I could rig it as a gear hammock but so far I just haven't had the desire to do so.

This weekend at the "no underquilt hang" here in Ocala I believe Life Scout may have changed my mind. He and his wife both had larger gear hammocks that doubled as hammock chairs during the day. In a pinch these could be pressed into service for kids too. In order to have the gear hammock off the ground but below my main hammock it requires hanging a bit higher than I'd prefer. For cold weather or high wind I'm not sure how well this will work. I'm now wondering if I can rig maybe a side pullout or something to offset the two slightly (just brainstorming). Time to get some cheap fabric and start prototyping....
    For a light, inexpensive solution, I agree with a gear hammock. It's multifunction is great for hunting trips. It also is good for a wet trip as it can be used as a weathershield close to the hammock.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    jeez cannibal...you wonder why your packweight is up there??

To the OP..Speaking of packweight..if the extra tarp is too much, what are going to do if you get 100-200 lb deer 20 miles back in the woods?

Condensation will be a killer on the firearm. Bring a good supply of gun oil.
    IF I were to go hammock/hunting, I'd go with the Dixon RollerPack for hauling all the gear and possible game.
    Dixon

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Where to hang pack/rifle in wet weather?

I would put a heavy ridge line and hang from there. Will keep it dry and in your control.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast