DIY Double Layer Hammock
    Tarp
    9x12 Tyvek
    Insulation
    Wool Blanket
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

AAAAAHHHHHH it's too quiet. I can't sleep!

I went camping this weekend in the High Uinta mountains of Utah. The first night was raining so the pitter pat of rain on my tarp helped me sleep. When I sleep at home, I have a fan and an air purifier running when I sleep so there is a lot of white noise. Normally when I camp, I try to find somewhere that is next to a stream so I can hear it when I sleep.

On the third night the skies were clear and beautiful and I could see the stars from my hammock. It was awesome! The only problem was that there was no wind so it was dead quiet. I had a really hard time sleeping because of it.

I have a white noise app on my phone but we had no power up there so I couldn't charge it.

Do any of the rest of you have a problem sleeping with no background noise? If so, what do you do about it?
    Keep it simple. The more crap you have and the more complicated it is, the more likely it is to break. Get back to basics man!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    You know I sleep with a fan going at home as well but have never had a problem sleeping in the woods. Maybe get you a little fan to clip on your ridge line to give you that noise that helps you sleep
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    HH and homemade
    Tarp
    11X11 Blue
    Insulation
    Neoair
    Suspension
    Whooppiee or strap

Sound of Silence

Hey neighbor! I'm in Pocatello. Sometimes when I camp with my scouts it gets absolutely silent, the loudest thing I can hear is my pulse, then I heard a twig break. I went on full alert because I'm the leader (cougar country). But I don't get any sleep. So now I bring a MP3 player with some NPR or BBC podcasts. I sleep immediately. And am more cheerful in the morning.

You can bring me.. I snore like a lumberjack.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Get a set of silicone ear plugs. I use the kind you get at home depot with the blue cord on them, there about a dollar.
    It's sounds kind of funny but if you put them in correctly you can hear your body functioning.

So you can go to sleep to the soothing sounds of your own heartbeat, or your own breathing.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie sling
    My favorite part of hanging is, not having to hear my wife's fan. I love the silence. You might want to try a battery powered fan on your ridgeline.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Tent-Fan/23787589

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigerot View Post
    Get a set of silicone ear plugs. I use the kind you get at home depot with the blue cord on them, there about a dollar.
    It's sounds kind of funny but if you put them in correctly you can hear your body functioning.

So you can go to sleep to the soothing sounds of your own heartbeat, or your own breathing.
    This will work. Mine, however, is built in. Lost the hearing in my right ear about 5-6 yrs. ago due to a viral infection in the auditory nerve. I just put my good ear in the pillow and I get everything from a trickle to a babbling brook to a full on waterfall, all for free. Making lemonade out of lemons, I know, but it works for me.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler,yukon & home brew
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge and woob
    Suspension
    straps / whoopies
    We set up at Yellowbanks outside Des Moines last night and from the chorus of owls, coyotes chatting it up most of the night & the screaming of the rabbit or whatever became somethings supper around 2 a.m., quiet wasn't in the cards. Can't remember a noisier trip.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I downloaded white noise for my MP3, it last for about 75 minutes. It puts me to sleep and when I wake up I start it over. Quiet is too creepy for me....

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kc0qnx View Post
    We set up at Yellowbanks outside Des Moines last night and from the chorus of owls, coyotes chatting it up most of the night & the screaming of the rabbit or whatever became somethings supper around 2 a.m., quiet wasn't in the cards. Can't remember a noisier trip.
    This is usually what happens when I am out in the backcountry. I tend to prefer to sleep in a pretty quiet environment at home. No such luck when I am camping. So I usually bring ear plugs. Also I tend to camp with a group, so there is usually a chorus of snoring going on.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast