DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

A shout out to Papa

Just a shout out to Papa, I just want to say I'm really starting to love my Darien UL. I had Randy make it with 1.6 ACU he calls it 1.9. It's very light weight and very comfy. I have had a lot of hammocks made by all the top cottage companies and they are all great and all have something special but the Darien UL just feels right. Craftsmanship is spot on as well. Good job Randy and thanks for working with me to do what I wanted not what the general public wants. One note to add I first bought an 11' hammock thinking for my 6'2" 230 lb body it would be a better fit but after 30 minutes into it I ordered a 10' believe it or not I found the 10' more comfortable, Just my 2 cents. Keep up the excellent work

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Thanks a lot. I'm glad this one fits you good.

Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Good job Randy and thanks for working with me to do what I wanted not what the general public wants.
    Let's see them custom build a single hammock that comes over on a big boat from overseas!

Somebody recently stated on another thread: "The quality has nothing to do with where it is made. It all deals with overseeing the operation, quality control, and materials selected."
    Yes, the quality has everything to do with where it's made and the care that's put into getting each one right.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 07-24-2013 at 11:28.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Thanks a lot. I'm glad this one fits you good.

Let's see them custom build a single hammock that comes over on a big boat from overseas!

Somebody recently stated on another thread: "The quality has nothing to do with where it is made. It all deals with overseeing the operation, quality control, and materials selected."
    Yes, the quality has everything to do with where it's made and the care that's put into getting each one right.
    Now there is definitely no questioning the quality of your products (I am extremely happy with my Darien UL) or of any of the cottage vendors I've dealt with around here. But I agree with the person you quoted. It's not about where it's made but who's responsible for making it. Granted there is an overabundance of junk coming from overseas, but that is because the people responsible for that product don't care if it's junk. But the companies that take pride in their product deliver a quality product regardless of where they make it. Products are built to the standards of the company that provides it. My Canon camera is made in china but Canon has strict quality standards so even though it comes from china it's a top quality product. Because Canon says it has to be. I think that was the point of the person you quoted.

So really it's not about where it's made but whether or not the person responsible for making it is a craftsman or a junkman. And you sir are most definitely a craftsman.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    So really it's not about where it's made but whether or not the person responsible for making it is a craftsman or a junkman.
    Yes sir. I'll concede that location isn't important, just the care that goes into making it.
    And thank you for the compliment.

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    One note to add I first bought an 11' hammock thinking for my 6'2" 230 lb body it would be a better fit but after 30 minutes into it I ordered a 10' believe it or not I found the 10' more comfortable, Just my 2 cents. Keep up the excellent work
    Could you elaborate on why the shorter hammock worked better for you? 6'2" is pretty tall. I don't have experience with different lengths, but most everything I've read says the longer the better.
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Lynx 20*
    +1 to all the compliments. I absolutely love my thunderbird. Papa when are you gonna come out with a bridge. "The FIREBIRD"

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
    Could you elaborate on why the shorter hammock worked better for you? 6'2" is pretty tall. I don't have experience with different lengths, but most everything I've read says the longer the better.
    OK based on you screen name you may like the 11" The 11' hammock had a more banana shape lay too me. The SRL was really high and hard to reach. The extra length added to harder site location. You need a longer tarp and the suspension on my under quilt was to short and had to be replaced. The 10 foot for me was just as comfortable but had a flatter lay, so with all the things that gave me a problem it's a 10' for me. Now just for the record that my opinion we are all different shapes and sizes what woorks for me might not work for you. Hang you own hang, try out different rigs and find what you like not what other people tell you you should like. My advice find a local hang meet some people and lay in their beds

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    OK based on you screen name you may like the 11" The 11' hammock had a more banana shape lay too me. The SRL was really high and hard to reach. The extra length added to harder site location. You need a longer tarp and the suspension on my under quilt was to short and had to be replaced. The 10 foot for me was just as comfortable but had a flatter lay, so with all the things that gave me a problem it's a 10' for me. Now just for the record that my opinion we are all different shapes and sizes what woorks for me might not work for you. Hang you own hang, try out different rigs and find what you like not what other people tell you you should like. My advice find a local hang meet some people and lay in their beds
    Thanks for your answer, krshome. I'm afraid it's a bit too late to follow your good advice. I needed to get something and there wasn't time to locate other hangers willing to "share their beds" with me. I went for the eleven-footer, hoping my long ape-arms will be able to reach my SRL well enough. I just hope I can find an under-quilt for it. I went with the larger 132" x 72" (6 feet wide) size, and now I'm not sure if I'll be able to find something to under-quilt it with.
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Any under quilt will fit by simply adjusting the suspension. The reason my under quilt didn't fit was because I had cut all the excess cord to fit my 10 foot hammocks. Enjoy your new hammock

• + New Posts