Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    Where's that? I want to be your neighbor.
    No humidity and high altitude sound like the ticket. I suggest Colorado as your next community. We've got a few bugs, but not many.

That, and you get your Warbonnet stuff faster.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    I've spent a little time in Boulder. It's got it's charm for sure.

Images
    There don't seem to be the "chiggers" in Colorado that we have in the grass here...they are the worst!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Chiggers
    They should be put into the same group as spiders and exterminated with extreme prejudice. They have those little b*s*a*ds in Florida and Texas too. Makes rolling around in the grass with a puppy not nearly as much fun.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    hmmmmmmm ... I just read some of the equipment lists for the NOLS courses.

For the Sonoran desert they recommend either down or synthetic.

All the others (a small sample of the Rockies, the Teton Valley and 2 in the southwest), they recommend synthetic.

I have read from people who have taken NOLS courses that they will flat out not allow down bags.

I would learn from the experts and determine first where and when you are going and take appropriate equipment.

Also, I have read more than one account duplicating Take-A-Knees experience. Never heard of anybody even trying such a thing with down. Maybe they're no longer around.
    Here is a link the NOLS rocky mtn equipment list - here

Of course, when 2 NOLS instructors decided to lighten up and reduce their loads from that MONSTER pack they require their students to carry to a 25 lb pack (story here), the started carrying DOWN sleeping bags...gear list here

hmmmm...seems like DOWN was the perferred choice when they wanted to lighten their packs
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 03-25-2009 at 11:21. Reason: update links...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Here is a link the NOLS rocky mtn equipment list - here
    Thanks for posting that animalcontrol.
    I suspect their reasoning for synthetic sleeping gear is because of the section below that; "River Equipment". Otherwise, I can't imagine why they would recommend synthetic, especially 4" - 6" of loft, for the Rocky Mtns. At least, the Colorado section of the Rockies. It is very arid out here. Yes, it rains every single day at 4:00pm for about 20 minutes during the summer, but humidity remains very low. Maybe because it is so low cost. Did you see their price for a 10 degree syn bag? $160! Wow! Of course, it also weighs 3 pounds. For the weight and the warmth, I'll pick down over synthetic anytime I'm in a dry environment.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    I'm apologizing for my last (rant) post. We all seem to agree that wet sleeping bags suck. We all can keep our gear as dry as expected. How does down compare to syn for drying from being slightly damp from prespiration and dew soaked.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp70 View Post
    I'm apologizing for my last (rant) post. We all seem to agree that wet sleeping bags suck. We all can keep our gear as dry as expected. How does down compare to syn for drying from being slightly damp from prespiration and dew soaked.
    No apologies needed, everyone's opinions count around here; except neo's about the cold cause he's an arctic mutant. Kidding neo!

I can't really answer that because (and I'm knocking on wood right now) my down bags haven't gotten wet. I WILL say that I had several inches of standing water pooled on my synthetic underquilt one night. Really nasty storm blew-in right after I had set-up. The winds shifted and the rain and wind came right in the end of the tarp. Hammock and UQ were soaked and the temps were in the high 30s; below freezing overnight. Luckily, I ignored the advise of people to not bring a pack towel. When the storm cleared I went to work with the towel, but the insulation was beyond my reach. Went to bed with a damp hammock and a soaked UQ. It was a long night and a terrible morning, did I mention I left my boots out too and they were frozen SOLID the next morning? Point is, I stayed 'warm enough' in unfavorable conditions. Not sure I would have gotten any sleep if it would have been a down UQ. Taught me a good lesson though. The next day was also the last time I ever thought about quitting the trail due to difficulty. I just decided that if that's the worst she can throw at me, then the rest would be no big deal. I was right.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp70 View Post
    No worries...
    Most down items have a shell that has a DWR (water repellant) coating. Most expirences I hear say the DWR will repel humidity/fog realtively well but direct rain (Cannibal ) should be avoided. Careful packing, a vapor barrier and an undercover should cover nearly all wet situations.
    Where down does fall short is in drying time. If you ever had the misfortune of getting down wet, it will take a long time to air dry in the backcountry. A synthetic quilt would dry out much faster...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Seems to me that there is considerable less likelihood of getting soaking wet hanging than there is being in a nylon bathtub known as a tent. Perhaps that is part of the reason down can work so well. I'm kinda like Neo though and don't need much under me. My old thermarest seems to do the trick down to about 15-20 degrees. When my ship comes in, I will definitely look into an UQ. Down or synthetic, not sure, most likely down.

I never had down until I started to hang, now I have a down sleeping bag that I use as a top quilt and I love it. Gotta say though that after using it all season last year, more nights than not, I am going to splurge on a good front load washing.

I just don't worry nearly as much about rain since I started hanging, cuz even if water does get to my stuff, it does not sit in it, with no where for it to go. I have yet to get significantly wet and have been through some real gully washers.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast