Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Stock+Rappel Rings

UQ Temperature Rating Confusion

I've read a ton on here and I'm still a little confused on the temperature rating of UQs. A few nights ago I slept in my HH with a 20degree North Face Cat's Meow. The weather channel said it got down to about 60 at the lowest point. I was never freezing, but I was a little colder on my back side than I would have preferred.

My question is, will a 40 degree UQ actually keep me warm down to 40 with a 20 degree sleeping bag? I assume even if the UQ says 40 degrees I'll still need something on top if the temperature is actually 40 degrees?

Right now I don't see myself being out hiking if the nightly low is less than 30, will a 40 degree UQ and 20 degree sleeping bag support that? If I do find myself hiking consistently in sub freezing temperatures I'll get a nice winter UQ, but right now I'm just looking for an UQ that will keep me warm enough down to 40, and possibly 30 if the temperature plummets for some reason.

With that being said, what would you recommend for 40 degree under quilt that will pack down to a small size with a compression bag? Money isn't a huge issue, but I'd rather not go out and spend a million dollars on it.

One more thing...I've read that down is the best for packing, but synthetic is better for wet weather...being in Michigan we get a lot of wet weather. Would treated down then be my best option?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ and Yeti
    I too have a lot of those questions. If you have a TQ rated at a certain temp, how does the UQ relate to that? Does it make the actual rating for the sleeper lower or does one not really affect the other that way?

Obviously I haven't been out in a hammock yet or I would probably know this. I am currently living in Tanzania. When I return in Oct I will start acquiring my gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    If you slept inside the sleeping bag on top of the hammock, you will have CBS (cold butt syndrome) due to the compression of your insulation beneath you. I'm sure more experienced folks will chime in on this, but your insulation needs to be below your hammock and snugged up to prevent air flow as an UQ is designed to do. It maximizes loft and the insulating air that needs to be trapped within the down or synthetic layers. Lying on that bag lowers any temp rating by a huge margin.

Some folks have modded their sleeping bag to make a pea pod type setup. A hole is cut into the foot of the bag and the hammock threaded through. Your bag is then wrapped around both you and the hammock. It does limit your ability to sleep on the diagonal, though. i did that early on with a cheap bag I had, and it was very warm.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    When you use a sleeping bag in a hammock, the bottom of the bag is compressed between you and the hammock (giving you little to no insulation), which is why you get a cold butt even when you're warm on top. Generally speaking, you need something under you starting around 70*.

As to your question as to whether a 40* uq will keep you warm down to that temp. Usually yes (it depends on how you sleep as some people just get colder easier). But generally speaking it will keep you warm down to that temp, and you may be able to go lower than that depending on what you're wearing.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    20 degree UQ's seem to almost be a standard. Easy to vent for warmer weather, using as little as a sheet or fleece blanket for a TQ, and good enough with proper Top insulation to take you below freezing, for most.

The addition of base layers and pads easily can take you 5-10 degrees lower yet.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    20 degree UQ's seem to almost be a standard. Easy to vent for warmer weather, using as little as a sheet or fleece blanket for a TQ, and good enough with proper Top insulation to take you below freezing, for most.

The addition of base layers and pads easily can take you 5-10 degrees lower yet.
    True, but if he isn't going to be out below 30 the 20* might be overkill. Why not do the 40* and have an ounce or two of overstuff added? Should get him a quilt that will cover him for what he needs.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I dunno....I'm one of those types who gets cold easily, so I went overkill on my UQ and got one rated to 0°, even though it pretty much never gets that cold here in Texas. Until I had the trick of hanging it exactly right, I still got chilled around 35°. Now, I feel comfortable down to the mid-20s, which is about the coldest I'm willing to even be out camping, since any lower, and I won't want to be up and about during the day, anyway.

Of course, I feel the occasional cool spot in my livingroom at 75°, but I don't exactly have it properly guyed out and everything, so gaps are more common while I'm watching TV.

To answer the original question -- the two degree ratings don't add together. Think of the underquilt and top quilt as two halves of a sleeping bag -- if only one side of you is covered, the other side will get cold from ambient air. Your tarp cuts the wind on top, so if you've got a decently-rated and correctly-hung underquilt, you can usually get by with a lower-rated top covering.
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrprince View Post
    True, but if he isn't going to be out below 30 the 20* might be overkill. Why not do the 40* and have an ounce or two of overstuff added? Should get him a quilt that will cover him for what he needs.
    Overstuff for a summer quilt. What will they think of next?

I think most will still be chilly below 40 and above 30 running summer insulation. Those temps are just out of the range normally associated with that light of kit. But of course HYOH. Your mileage may vary.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    My recommendation for a 30*F low end target would be to go with a 20*F UQ and a 40*F TQ +1oz. Your hammock bugnet will give you a few degrees warmth on top as well as proper setup of your tarp will prevent the wind from blowing through. The 20*F UQ will be more than warm enough at 30*F to kick a few degrees back into the hammock. Down is preferred for weight and pack size over synthetic. As for wet insulation it really is a no no regardless of type, pack properly and you'll have no trouble.

We offer DWR Down in our products as no additional charge and use it extensively in our personal gear...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies &amp; Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyno2ac View Post
    I've read a ton on here and I'm still a little confused on the temperature rating of UQs. A few nights ago I slept in my HH with a 20degree North Face Cat's Meow. The weather channel said it got down to about 60 at the lowest point. I was never freezing, but I was a little colder on my back side than I would have preferred.

That's called CBS (Cold But Syndrome). Its what's happens when you sleep in hammock and you don't have either CCF pad, UQ or some form of insulation underneath you.

My question is, will a 40 degree UQ actually keep me warm down to 40 with a 20 degree sleeping bag? I assume even if the UQ says 40 degrees I'll still need something on top if the temperature is actually 40 degrees?

Yes in theory and in practicality. I am a fairly cold sleeper and I have taken my 40 rated HG Phoenix down to 35 and feel I could probably go a few degrees colder. This is when wearing light weight long johns and light weight merion wool shirt using a 40 rated TQ

Right now I don't see myself being out hiking if the nightly low is less than 30, will a 40 degree UQ and 20 degree sleeping bag support that? If I do find myself hiking consistently in sub freezing temperatures I'll get a nice winter UQ, but right now I'm just looking for an UQ that will keep me warm enough down to 40, and possibly 30 if the temperature plummets for some reason.

I have owned many UQ over the years with various fabrics and various fills and at least for me a 40 HG Phoenix with a 40 Burrow keeps me plenty warm down to 40. YMMV

With that being said, what would you recommend for 40 degree under quilt that will pack down to a small size with a compression bag? Money isn't a huge issue, but I'd rather not go out and spend a million dollars on it.

One more thing...I've read that down is the best for packing, but synthetic is better for wet weather...being in Michigan we get a lot of wet weather. Would treated down then be my best option?

I've always used down over the years and yes if it gets wet it looses it insulating properties but its lighter and packs down smaller then synthetic. So I just keep it dry in a dry sack and set it up underneath my tarp if its raining. However when it rains for days and days everything is wet.

Thanks in advance for helping me!
    Good luck on your search
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast