Thread: Another UCR ?

Another UCR ?

I just tried to hang using the UCR's that I made and I can't get them short enough to suspend my hammock! I didn't have this problem with the whoopies slings! The post ( no trees) are 15 ft apart! I have the straps wrapped around the post as many times as possible. I can't go any higher. If you need a 12" constrictor , how is it possible to make the UCRs shorter?
    Thanks

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Attach directly to the tree straps?

The objective is to hang your hammock, right?

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I just tried to hang using the UCR's that I made and I can't get them short enough to suspend my hammock! I didn't have this problem with the whoopies slings! The post ( no trees) are 15 ft apart! I have the straps wrapped around the post as many times as possible. I can't go any higher. If you need a 12" constrictor , how is it possible to make the UCRs shorter?
    Thanks
    That is the reason I stopped using the UCR. The minimum distance is too long. I think anything longer that your tarp minimum distance is too long. I like the weight savings but it is minimal and the trade off isn't worth it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Thanks! I had run into problems before with the WS being too long at times! I had hopes these would be different!
    I agree with you Dutch it doesn't seem to be worth the weight savings! Plus I just don't feel as "safe" with the UCRs for some reason! Probably my inexperience but I've never felt that way with WS!
    I have hung from the straps on occasion using a MSH eliminating the WS altogether! It's always good to have multiple options!

Hammock
    SBPro GTUL
    Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Leighlo 30*
    Suspension
    Linelocker/Rings
    That is what I have been doing as of late. A Continuous Loop through the channel of my Skeeter Beater Pro larksheaded to a single SMC Ring and strap and MSH. Quick and easy to make adjustments also.

Opus

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    There is about a foot or less, difference between a UCR and a Whoopie for minimum tree distance, depending on how you make your UCRs and whoopies.

I like UCRs because I feel they are easier to use than whoopies. When Trying to hang between two trees that are closer than what my UCRs can fit, generally means my tarp won't fit either. But once again, that all depends on how big your tarp is and how your suspension is set up. I generally bring a set of dog-bones with me that have multiple uses in my entire system. My UCR is directly connected to hammock to reduce minimum tree span but if I needed to I could directly connect my hammock to toggle with a dogbone. But this all goes back to what you prefer to use. I dont like whoopies because I had some trouble with them on a trip where it got real cold and my frozen hands had a hard time loosening them up and after that I was done with them.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    yup same here on the ucr's. I've now gone to dynaglide whoopies

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    When the distance is too short, lengthen your UCR to 3 time the distance required. Assuming your UCR "starts" at the hammock, have the UCR go up around the toggle, back to the hammock thru your ring or whatever method you're using (I use a SMC ring) then back up to the toggle. You can do the same thing with whoopies when they're too long. Its a bit of a PITA but it works.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Re: Another UCR ?

Cant you just wrap the tree strap around the tree, tie or attach it to itself so you have a loop around the tree, then run the suspension line up through this loop.
    Do the same on the other side and connect the suspension ends to each other in the middle with a carabiner or sheet bend or something...
    You end up with the suspension line just kind of routed around the tree strap rather then attached to it, and a second ridge line just higher then your hammocks.

• + New Posts