Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    kind of pricey when you dont get performance,not a good bang for the buck.my point is i would not use any quilt with a claytor or a dd hammock,quilts are great with asym design hammocks like warbonnet or hennesseyneo
    But that's what you would do. Like I said, cut the dude some slack and let him hang his own hammock, despite what you would do. Quilts work fine on most hammocks, it's just a matter of finding how it works best for the person laying in that particular hammock. My ENO DoubleNest isn't an asym hammock, per se, but it works just fine with my UQ. I really don't see how "pricey" is an issue if it's not your money that was spent for the UQ. If that's how he chooses to spend money he worked for, then that's cool. Again, if you don't like or use UQ's then that's fine, but don't criticize those of us who do. But like I said, hang your own hammock and we'll hang ours.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Neo does have a good point. Performance is everything. After nearly 15 hours of backyard testing I've decided to take KAQ up on their satisfaction guaranteed policy and will be sending the quilt back for a refund. However, I am not sending it back because for quality issues.

The quilt is totally awesome, and likely works great on a HH. However, on a non-asym it doesn't fit quite right. The issue is that their are pockets where the asym tie-outs are and this causes warm air to escape. It makes it very uncomfy in a non-asym.

On the other hand, it is a totally awesome quilt and I do recommend trying one on your bed to see what you think. The craftsmanship is great too.

As far as pads go, I like my pad a great deal. However, it doesn't pack very well, and doesn't provide the comfort of a quilt. Well, it is pretty comfy, I think I just need to make a slight mod.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    Thanks for the report.
    I'm in the process of locating an UQ for my Claytor JH.
    If I was going to keep using a quilt for my Claytor, I would stick with my nest. However, I just spent some more time in my Claytor with my Speer SPE and pad. A quilt just cannot compare. The warmth of a pad is just fantastic. The comfort is definitely there too. It also helps spread the hammock sides making it more comfy.

I have to agree with neo on using a pad in a Claytor.

I am going to sleep out in the back with my pad tonight just to reconfirm my love for a pad.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    But that's what you would do. Like I said, cut the dude some slack and let him hang his own hammock, despite what you would do. Quilts work fine on most hammocks, it's just a matter of finding how it works best for the person laying in that particular hammock. My ENO DoubleNest isn't an asym hammock, per se, but it works just fine with my UQ. I really don't see how "pricey" is an issue if it's not your money that was spent for the UQ. If that's how he chooses to spend money he worked for, then that's cool. Again, if you don't like or use UQ's then that's fine, but don't criticize those of us who do. But like I said, hang your own hammock and we'll hang ours.
    i did not try to tell him how to hang,i just voiced my opinion,is that a problem lolneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Neo does have a good point. Performance is everything. After nearly 15 hours of backyard testing I've decided to take KAQ up on their satisfaction guaranteed policy and will be sending the quilt back for a refund. However, I am not sending it back because for quality issues.

The quilt is totally awesome, and likely works great on a HH. However, on a non-asym it doesn't fit quite right. The issue is that their are pockets where the asym tie-outs are and this causes warm air to escape. It makes it very uncomfy in a non-asym.

On the other hand, it is a totally awesome quilt and I do recommend trying one on your bed to see what you think. The craftsmanship is great too.

As far as pads go, I like my pad a great deal. However, it doesn't pack very well, and doesn't provide the comfort of a quilt. Well, it is pretty comfy, I think I just need to make a slight mod.

thats my point also,quilts work great on asym hammocks,i have slept in 20's with a quilt made out of an army poncho liner modeled after the jrb nest,i hung the poncho liner and stuffed it with dry leaves and it worked great.i was toastyneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    If I was going to keep using a quilt for my Claytor, I would stick with my nest. However, I just spent some more time in my Claytor with my Speer SPE and pad. A quilt just cannot compare. The warmth of a pad is just fantastic. The comfort is definitely there too. It also helps spread the hammock sides making it more comfy.

I have to agree with neo on using a pad in a Claytor.

I am going to sleep out in the back with my pad tonight just to reconfirm my love for a pad.
    the speer spe rocks i love mineneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sometimes a pad is all you need. They never bothered me especially in an SPE.
    Whatever keeps you warm.......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

In all fairness, the KAQ is designed and cut for an Hennessy Hammock not a Claytor. I told hacktorius he could try it out and see as I've never even laid eyes (or back) on a Claytor, except for a JH which I just saw this weekend.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I bet the KAQ would work on the Claytor/Clark hammocks if you are using an external ridge line. I put the HH style tarp attachments on my ridge line with my Clark to attach my 1/2 quilts to. This would help pull up the quilt sides at the asym attachment points on the KAQ. It may also help on the ends to help snug the quilt to the hammock by pulling up giving you more adjustment. I dont think the problem is because the KAQ quilt is made for an "asym" hammock but is made for a wider hammock. The HH is only made asym with the pullouts, not the cut of the hammock. Attaching like I suggested would pull the sides above the zipper but would probably work.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    In all fairness, the KAQ is designed and cut for an Hennessy Hammock not a Claytor. I told hacktorius he could try it out and see as I've never even laid eyes (or back) on a Claytor, except for a JH which I just saw this weekend.
    I agree, it is not fault of the quilt, it is the hammock. Try to put a square peg in a round hole. I am certain it would be great on a HH. I may even consider trying it out in my HH tonight. Maybe not, because it is already packed up. I'll see how I feel in a little while.

I'm trying to get rid of my HH anyways.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast