Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61
  1. #51
    Senior Member Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge (5oz w/o net!)
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Posts
    1,329
    Images
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Stigma?

    You might want to sit down beside a campfire with some folks before you go generalizing.

    As far as I'm concerned, those who would place a stigma on folks who prefer camo won't be the kind I'll be sharing a campfire with, and neither will those who place a stigma on people who choose thier gear because they think it will make them look like the guys on the covers of Backpacker and Outside magazines, or the guys who avoid either choice because they don't want to look like "those strange people."

    Better to fight the stereotypes than to go along with them.
    Not trying to be harsh, by stigma I mean:

    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Stigma (plural: stigmata) is a word that originally means a "sign", "point", or "branding mark".
    Referring back to the perception in society that camo = redneck or "wanna-be".

    I don't have a problem if you want camo stuff, but I see no need for it, and it doesn't appeal to me. I was responding to the OP for reasons why his camo straps aren't flying off the shelves.

  2. #52

    Re: Why isn't Camo webbing a big seller?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Not trying to be harsh, by stigma I mean:



    Referring back to the perception in society that camo = redneck or "wanna-be".

    I don't have a problem if you want camo stuff, but I see no need for it, and it doesn't appeal to me. I was responding to the OP for reasons why his camo straps aren't flying off the shelves.
    It's solved then. Rednecks must not hammock camp.

  3. #53
    sargevining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Posts
    4,645
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Not trying to be harsh, by stigma I mean:



    Referring back to the perception in society that camo = redneck or "wanna-be".

    I don't have a problem if you want camo stuff, but I see no need for it, and it doesn't appeal to me. I was responding to the OP for reasons why his camo straps aren't flying off the shelves.
    No problem.

    Its just that before you mentioned it here, I wasn't aware of any widespread perception that camo = redneck or "wanna be", and that's the reason why Gary isn't selling camo tree straps.

    Of course it doesn't explain why one of the most popular hammocks out there is the WWM from BIAS, or why Warbonnet offers so many camo color options for their tarps.

    So, maybe the "stigma" is only a regional thing.

  4. #54
    Senior Member dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,227
    Images
    207
    I have some camo straps, so I'm not sure why it doesn't sell like other colors/styles. Let the market decide and get rid of it

    I think of myself as an observant hammock camper, but even I left my straps (including some Dutch bling) on a tree a few years ago on a long-distance hike. I had to resort to a make-shift strap made from mule tape to get me by the rest of the trip. I only left on set of straps. I must have been distracted by something to pack one strap and leave the other :}

    The good news was that a few days after my trip I was able to find my strap and get it back. It was one of the best bushwhacking, map-and-compass trips I've ever done and I'm still amazed I found it (especially considering the fact that I was 100% off trail when I went to look for it).

  5. #55
    Senior Member GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I have some camo straps, so I'm not sure why it doesn't sell like other colors/styles. Let the market decide and get rid of it

    I think of myself as an observant hammock camper, but even I left my straps (including some Dutch bling) on a tree a few years ago on a long-distance hike. I had to resort to a make-shift strap made from mule tape to get me by the rest of the trip. I only left on set of straps. I must have been distracted by something to pack one strap and leave the other :}

    The good news was that a few days after my trip I was able to find my strap and get it back. It was one of the best bushwhacking, map-and-compass trips I've ever done and I'm still amazed I found it (especially considering the fact that I was 100% off trail when I went to look for it).
    Yo! De J
    I am torn between sitting on it and letting it go for short money. Think I'll sit on it for a while longer. Maybe make a net out of it for my jeep to keep the dogs from jumping out every time they see a squirrel or chipmunk.

  6. #56
    Senior Member Sleepytime Gorilla Sack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Midwest
    Hammock
    ENO DN, WBBB 1.9-1.1, GrandTrunk UL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    Posts
    139
    I'm feeling rednecky. I will email for 100ft of that camo stuff, cinch buckles and carabineers.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Posts
    172
    Wonder if there's a market for zebra stripe treehuggers? Or polka-dot. Leopard print?

  8. #58
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Hammock
    Modified HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MacCat or OMW
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    2,352
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Basie View Post
    Wonder if there's a market for zebra stripe treehuggers? Or polka-dot. Leopard print?
    Obviously, you've never visited www.strapworks.com!

    BTW, I confess to walking off and leaving my tree straps behind! Never again. Though they were not on trees that time, they were in the rafters of a pavilion. And that's a good-enough excuse for me, 'cause I have no other except dumbness.

    I did realize my mistake and went right back and got 'em, but NOT until I had to ford a freezing creek three times as a result. My feet are still cold, I do believe!

    LostInSpace, I'll shoot you an email via your site. If you could contact me right away, I'd love some new lightweight straps next week. I leave a week from Sunday to come up your way. Will be hanging on the AT from Mt. Washington, NH to Grafton Notch, ME.

    Rain Man

    .
    Last edited by Rain Man; 07-27-2013 at 08:25.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods
    .

  9. #59
    Acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana Wooded Hills
    Hammock
    WBRR, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoop/Dutch
    Posts
    3,887
    Images
    19
    I like the earth tones in colors,,so I do have several sets of camo tree straps in my stock as well as camo straps with Dutch's buckles on one of the RR's. Nice to know you have camo, and I think it will sell over time.

  10. #60
    SnrMoment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Streamline
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Oxford Knee
    Posts
    1,148
    I didn't know you carried it. Just received my second 60 ft order of it.
    Grand kids are happy campers.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Similar Threads

  1. Switching to polyester camo webbing
    By Dutch in forum Dutchware
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 10:44
  2. Withdrawn by seller
    By DaleW in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 20:23
  3. strapworks 1" camo webbing?
    By alienjeff650 in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 22:30
  4. WTB 25mm Camo poly webbing
    By alienjeff650 in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 23:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •