Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Got my starter kit!!

I recently got the Hammock fever and originally thought to start making my own hammock. I found a cottage vendor through this forum,Simply Light Designs, and he sells what I'd call a starter kit.

Total Average System Weight: 29.75 oz (1.86 lbs)

Here is what you get:

(1) Hammock - Foliage Grey 1.9 oz breathable ripstop nylon calendered on one side
    Size: 132" x 58"
    Average Weight: 13.50 oz
    Features 1.5" sewn channels on both ends allowing various suspension setups

(1) Asymmetrical (Asym) Tarp - Grey 1.4 oz silnylon
    Size (from corner to corner):140" x 110"
    Average Weight: 8.5 oz
    Features reinforced tie outs at each corner

(1) Pair of 6 foot Whoopie Slings
    Size: Extend from about 16" to 6 ft
    Average Weight: 1.41 oz
    Made from 7/64" Amsteel-Blue Line with a 1,600 lb breaking strength

(1) Pair of 6 foot Tree Hugger Straps
    Size: 6 feet
    Average Weight: 3.0 oz
    Made from 1" Polyester Webbing with a 1,500 lb breaking strength

(1) Pair of 3" Aluminum Toggles
    Average Weight: .21 oz

12 ft of reflective guyline for tarp tie outs
    Average Weight: .50 oz

30 ft Tarp ridgeline cord
    Size: 30 ft
    Average Weight: .68 oz
    Features 1.8 mm Braided Dacron Line

(2) Aluminum 7 inch Shepherd's Stakes
    Size: 7 inches
    Average Weight: 1.00 oz

(1) Double Ended Hammock Stuff Sack
    Color: Foliage Grey
    Size: 6" x 12" (stuffed)
    Average Weight: .86 oz
    Features a draw cord closure at each end for easy access to your hammock suspension

(1) Accessory Stuff Sack
    Color: grey
    Size: 7" x 3" x 3"
    Average Weight: .16 oz
    Features 1.4 oz silnylon and squared bottom to minimize wasted corner space

I upgraded to a DL hammock for an extra $20, total price $140. I placed the order around seven o'clock pm and the order was shipped the next morning. I got a email from the postal service with a tracking number and a few minutes later an email from the owner,Jared Baker, letting me know it was shipped with the tracking number in case the postal service hadn't notified me. I received my hammock today after 3 days,great service and prompt shipping. Don't ask me how long it took me to get set up in my backyard. All those videos of seasoned hangers make it look sooo easy. Anyway here's a link to my backyard setup. I live 1/4 mile back off a sparsely traveled highway and my backyard is so quiet you'd think you were wilderness camping.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1017899...eat=directlink
    There's no excuse for laziness...

but, if you find one, let me know.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I know you did it right cuz I can see your sox.

Good lookin ol' dog you got there, and a pretty fair back yard, too.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    How do you like it so far? Anything you would change?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooo Buddy))))) Now your set and ready to go, go, go.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 07-26-2013 at 21:49.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Don't ask me how long it took me to get set up in my backyard. All those videos of seasoned hangers make it look sooo easy. Anyway here's a link to my backyard setup. I live 1/4 mile back off a sparsely traveled highway and my backyard is so quiet you'd think you were wilderness camping.
    l]
    Very nice!! You'll get the hang of setting if up...just takes practice so take plenty of opportunities to do so!

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Got my starter kit!!

Awesome yard, you are truly blessed friend...happy hanging

I tried out my new hammock last night. My original reason for my interest in hammocks was I like to sleep outside and as you can see I have the perfect backyard for it. I was in the hammock around 11pm and just getting settled 45 minutes later when my Jack Russell,Molly, came sniffing around. My wife had let her out to use the bathroom before bed and she'd found me. I had a small blanket over my legs so I leaned over and picked her up and set her between my legs. I don't know which one of us had the most enjoyable night. She got between my legs and the edge of the hammock was chin level so she could lay her head on the edge and her nose was working overtime everytime I looked down. I have all types of wildlife in my area from raccoons,coyotes to black bears and I slept with the knowledge nothing was going to walk up on me. The only downside to sleeping with my dog was several times during the night I was rudely awakened when the hammock went on" FULL ALERT". Nothing moves in a hammock without you knowing it. It's kind of like an umbilical cord. We both were the proverbial bug in a rug most of the night as I'd put a nice thick pad between my DL hammock. I also came to realize how hard of hearing I am in my left ear from 38 years of working in a factory. I could hear the crickets and frogs singing loud but when I turned my head on the pillow covering my right ear the noise level dropped about 70%. I didn't know my left ear was that bad. I slept great and I think all you hangers may be on to something. I'd have never slept on the ground and got up feeling this rested. I'm thinking hammock camping will slowly catch on like kayaks over canoes. Americans bought 78,600 new canoes in 2012 as opposed to 239,500 kayaks. This is the sixth straight year kayaks have outsold canoes. Canoes like tents have their place in the outdoors yet I see the same trend in hammock camping,build a better mouse trap. To highlight my first night I awoke around 6 am to a steady light rain. When the thunder started Molly abandoned me and headed for the house and I was joined by my old Lab,Yeller, who is scared of thunder like Molly. I had to hang my hand off the side and make contact with her for 10 - 15 minutes before getting her to lay down so I could go back to sleep. I awoke around 9:30 and would have stayed in the hammock a while longer but I thought I needed to get up and feed my two old horses. You'll probably find me out there tonight.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    I tried out my new hammock last night. My original reason for my interest in hammocks was I like to sleep outside and as you can see I have the perfect backyard for it. I was in the hammock around 11pm and just getting settled 45 minutes later when my Jack Russell,Molly, came sniffing around. My wife had let her out to use the bathroom before bed and she'd found me. I had a small blanket over my legs so I leaned over and picked her up and set her between my legs. I don't know which one of us had the most enjoyable night. She got between my legs and the edge of the hammock was chin level so she could lay her head on the edge and her nose was working overtime everytime I looked down. I have all types of wildlife in my area from raccoons,coyotes to black bears and I slept with the knowledge nothing was going to walk up on me. The only downside to sleeping with my dog was several times during the night I was rudely awakened when the hammock went on" FULL ALERT". Nothing moves in a hammock without you knowing it. It's kind of like an umbilical cord. We both were the proverbial bug in a rug most of the night as I'd put a nice thick pad between my DL hammock. I also came to realize how hard of hearing I am in my left ear from 38 years of working in a factory. I could hear the crickets and frogs singing loud but when I turned my head on the pillow covering my right ear the noise level dropped about 70%. I didn't know my left ear was that bad. I slept great and I think all you hangers may be on to something. I'd have never slept on the ground and got up feeling this rested. I'm thinking hammock camping will slowly catch on like kayaks over canoes. Americans bought 78,600 new canoes in 2012 as opposed to 239,500 kayaks. This is the sixth straight year kayaks have outsold canoes. Canoes like tents have their place in the outdoors yet I see the same trend in hammock camping,build a better mouse trap. To highlight my first night I awoke around 6 am to a steady light rain. When the thunder started Molly abandoned me and headed for the house and I was joined by my old Lab,Yeller, who is scared of thunder like Molly. I had to hang my hand off the side and make contact with her for 10 - 15 minutes before getting her to lay down so I could go back to sleep. I awoke around 9:30 and would have stayed in the hammock a while longer but I thought I needed to get up and feed my two old horses. You'll probably find me out there tonight.
    Sounds like a pretty good night! It just gets better and better as you get experience and tweek things. A starter kit is a good way to get out there. Sometimes all of the decisions involved in setting up a rig are just overwhelming and this gets you out in the woods (or your yard) quickly.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

I just thought of something I left out of my post. After sleeping in a steady rain for about 4 hours I woke up dry as a bone. That's not that easy to do sleeping on the ground. And I went in the house and had a good ole tomato sandwich for breakfast. Not your traditional breakfast food but those maters from my garden call out to me everytime I walk by them.
    Last edited by Mic; 07-27-2013 at 11:23.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Which hammock did you get I am really considering the Streamliner DL in 1.1?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast