Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images

Tensioning Ridge Lines & Guy Lines

I have been thinking about how I want to set up the ridge line and guy lines once I purchase a tarp.

For the ridge line, I want to have a loop on one end for a micro carabiner to go around the tree and to clip back on the line. At the opposite end of the ridge line have the prusick knot attached to the ridge line and the prusick larks headed onto the ridge D ring. Then pull the free hanging end of the ridge line to pull the ridge taut.

For the guy line I'm figuring a similar set up. Loop on one end over the steak. Other end the prusick on the guy line, with the prusick larks headed to the corner/tie out D rings. Then pulling the free hanging end for tautness.

Is this an ideal set up? And what is the ideal cordage to use?
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 07-27-2013 at 05:03.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I use prussick for my ridge line and attach tarp tie outs or d rings to those. With. The guy outs I have a loop ( locked Brummel) that is latksheaded to the d rings and the prussick goes around the stake using the working or free end to adjust for tightness. This works well with both my oes mat cat deluxe and my guide gear. With my superfly I follow Brandon method and that keeps it tight n pretty
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Images
    Preamble: I have problems with both hands to varying degrees which prevent me tying knots without painful after-effects.

MY solution: So I have now settled on Nitize figure 9's for the tarp ridge line with smaller ones for the tarp hem stake-outs and can set up without problems. There are left in place on the tarp ridge line Prussics with small carbiners to which the tarp clips.

There is a weight penalty but this is not a problem as I don't hike far, usually letting my canoe take the strain.

Alan

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I use that very method on my winter tarp and it works great. On another tarp I use the mini line locs rigged up with Shane's method, a small weight penalty but I like it better because they are easier to adjust (Sometimes the prussiks are really locked down). Works exactly the same way just uses the line locs in place of the prussiks. And on yet another tarp I recently started trying out using the munter hitch instead of the prussiks. It only works if the tarp has d-rings, but you just tie a munter hitch on the d-ring and use that to adjust, again it works just like the prussik only easier. The only catch to the two alternate ways is that the munter hitch has to have a slippery half hitch to hold and the line locs need one if it's heavy wind. Despite that I still find those ways to be superior to the prussiks because they never give me a hard time.

Here's a link to Shanes method: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=tarp
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    For cordage I use Zing It on my RL and Zline on my guy lines.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    I have been thinking about how I want to set up the ridge line and guy lines once I purchase a tarp.

For the ridge line, I want to have a loop on one end for a micro carabiner to go around the tree and to clip back on the line. At the opposite end of the ridge line have the prusick knot attached to the ridge line and the prusick larks headed onto the ridge D ring. Then pull the free hanging end of the ridge line to pull the ridge taut.

For the guy line I'm figuring a similar set up. Loop on one end over the steak. Other end the prusick on the guy line, with the prusick larks headed to the corner/tie out D rings. Then pulling the free hanging end for tautness.

Is this an ideal set up? And what is the ideal cordage to use?
    you should look at arrowhead equipment, they have one like your explaining and after you set up the tarp you can pull it back and forth to center over your hammock. I have 1 and also made another cause it works so good! Its called the simple single carabiner ridge line.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I use that very method on my winter tarp and it works great. On another tarp I use the mini line locs rigged up with Shane's method, a small weight penalty but I like it better because they are easier to adjust (Sometimes the prussiks are really locked down). Works exactly the same way just uses the line locs in place of the prussiks. And on yet another tarp I recently started trying out using the munter hitch instead of the prussiks. It only works if the tarp has d-rings, but you just tie a munter hitch on the d-ring and use that to adjust, again it works just like the prussik only easier. The only catch to the two alternate ways is that the munter hitch has to have a slippery half hitch to hold and the line locs need one if it's heavy wind. Despite that I still find those ways to be superior to the prussiks because they never give me a hard time.

Here's a link to Shanes method: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=tarp

Thanks SwinginIt. I am flipping back and forth between using the prusick or the line lock 3 or other plastic friction tensioner. Other than really locking down what other hard time does the prusick give you?

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    Thanks SwinginIt. I am flipping back and forth between using the prusick or the line lock 3 or other plastic friction tensioner. Other than really locking down what other hard time does the prusick give you?
    That's really it. If I wanna get all nit picky I could say that prussiks take two hands to adjust and the other ways can be done with one hand (except for the slippery half hitch). But that's being really picky.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images
    Thanks guys. I spent part of the day tying prusick I knots, and realized this is most certainly the way I want to go.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It's the way we have been doing guy lines and ridgelines for the past 4 years. Works perfectly well.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts