Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Unknown model Hennessy

BWCA 1st Hammock Experience

Hello All,
    I found this forum a few months ago. After reading everything I could, and becoming confused by all the terms, I jumped in and bought a used Hennessy Hammock on ebay. My son used it in the BWCA last week and he had a wonderful experience. This was what I call an "old mans trip", we portaged 2 lakes in from Sawbill Lake to Burnt Lake and set up camp for the week, not too physically taxing.
    The Hammock is completely stock with just the small rainfly that came with it, and having no experience with hammocks we took a tent big enough to sleep all three of us in case the hammock experiment failed. The last full day of our trip it rained and rained and rained, We later found out 4.5 inches fell in the area. Ted got slightly damp in the hammock, but much drier than myself and son number 2 in the tent. A medium size river was flowing under and around our tent all night.
    The rain didn't dampen our spirits and 2 more hammocks are in the works, with some upgrades so we never have to carry that honkin' Timberline 4 man tent again. Thanks for all the info guys. BTW we have never had better fishing in the BWCA, the smallies were hot all week!

Mike

Re: BWCA 1st Hammock Experience

Congrats. Sounds like an awesome trip. Hammocks are great but do take some tweaking to hit your spot. Part of the fun really and a good excuse to try more gear.

Didn't know the Hennessey came in yellow. Kinda like it.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images

BWCA 1st Hammock Experience

I head up to the BWCA next week. I don't think there is a better place to use hammocks than the BW. Glad to hear you had a good trip and good fishing. I used my hammock the first time because there were two of us sharing a heavy tent and could not find a spot where both of us were not on rocks and roots. After one night in my cheap hammock I was never going to sleep on the ground again.

On a more important note did you catch any walleye of lake trout?
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    Unknown model Hennessy
    I think that Hennessy may be SN 001, but it is like new, the only down side to yellow, the island we camped on had a huge hive of bees in a tree nearby, and they thought the yellow hammock and canoes were flowers. My other son got stung in the neck, but we called him a suzie until he manned up.

Hammock
    Unknown model Hennessy
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    I head up to the BWCA next week. I don't think there is a better place to use hammocks than the BW. Glad to hear you had a good trip and good fishing. I used my hammock the first time because there were two of us sharing a heavy tent and could not find a spot where both of us were not on rocks and roots. After one night in my cheap hammock I was never going to sleep on the ground again.

Walleye were sporadic, but we caught enough to make a meal or two. I don't think Burnt has lakers, it is pretty shallow. The smallies were so much fun! Hammering top water plugs the 1st day, sometimes launching out of the water as they hit it.

Hammock
    Unknown model Hennessy
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post

What part of the BWCA? I need a trip idea for next year.

Images
    Great report! And drier under the little HH tarp than in the tent, now that is impressive! I was under that little tarp for my 1st ever week in a hammock. It was never put to a real test, unlike the HH Super Shelter which was immediately tested with cold temps. But I was paranoid about that tarp for the entire week, before I read reports like yours. Plus, more experience has shown that the combo of that small tarp with the HHSS is very weather resistant indeed.

How did your son keep his back warm, or was it extra warm the whole time?

Good looking fish and country, looks like a great time!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Nice report, looked like fun. Thanks for sharing.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Unknown model Hennessy
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Great report! And drier under the little HH tarp than in the tent, now that is impressive! I was under that little tarp for my 1st ever week in a hammock. It was never put to a real test, unlike the HH Super Shelter which was immediately tested with cold temps. But I was paranoid about that tarp for the entire week, before I read reports like yours. Plus, more experience has shown that the combo of that small tarp with the HHSS is very weather resistant indeed.

How did your son keep his back warm, or was it extra warm the whole time?

Good looking fish and country, looks like a great time!
    It was warmer than we thought it was going to be, lows in the low 60"s I would guess, I need to get a Shug style thermometer to record lows and highs. He had a 15 degree bag and slept in his skivvies and was fine. A bag is hard to use in a Hennessy however, this bag doesn't completely unzip.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Great trip report and pictures. Sounds awesome.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast