WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket

Insulation question

Last night I built a new hammock stand because I have no trees in my yard. I wanted to try out my new underquilt because the temp was going to get down to fourty degrees, which would be the coldest temp I've hung in. I got the underquilt to fit nicely and just used a thirty degree sleeping bag as a top quilt. My problem was that throughout the night I would randomly wake up with the chills. At the same time though I could definitely feel the warmth from below. So I'm assuming I was getting chilled from above. What do you guys think? The temp is supposed be the same tonight so I want to change some things and try again. Could the answer be as simple as a stocking cap?

Weather: light rain
    Temp: 40 degrees
    Wind: 15 mph

Hammock: WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp: superfly with doors closed
    Underquilt: hg incubator 20 degree
    Sleeping bag: 30 degree eureka (syn)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler_ View Post
    ...Could the answer be as simple as a stocking cap?...
    If your head wasn't covered...YES!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If your head wasn't covered...YES!
    Maybe I can just call this a rookie mistake then ha ha. My head was not covered at all.

Images
    Make sure the UQ is snugged up against your back/butt. And you may need to have someone look to make sure there are no openings on the ends- while you are in it- which will allow cold air to rush in under even a tiny gap.

Could you tell if you were cold over all or on top, or did you specifically feel cold on your back or butt? Which, if you did, can make you cold all over also. But if you felt a cold back, that will tell you a lot about what you need to do.

Is you bag down or synthetic? Older synthetic bags are famous for losing some loft, though it can happen with any older bag. Are you normally warm in this bag at these temps when sleeping on the ground? If so, more evidence pointing to an UQ out of adjustment.

Big possibility: when I first started using a bag as a TQ, I had quite a few cold nights where I became instantly warm just by getting in the synthetic bag and zipping it up and using the hood/neck collar. This was a learning curve for me, overcoming a tendency towards drafts around the neck and shoulder, or really anywhere along the length of a quilt. I do fine these days, but any drafte must be 100% dealt with if you hope to approach the temp rating of a sleeping bag, TQ or UQ.

Next: head insulation is a must. Especially when going from sleeping in a mummy bag to using that bag as a TQ. When you bypass that bags thick, draft free hood/neck collar, you give up a huge hunk of it's rated warmth.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Make sure the UQ is snugged up against your back/butt. And you may need to have someone look to make sure there are no openings on the ends- while you are in it- which will allow cold air to rush in under even a tiny gap.

Could you tell if you were cold over all or on top, or did you specifically feel cold on your back or butt? Which, if you did, can make you cold all over also. But if you felt a cold back, that will tell you a lot about what you need to do.

Is you bag down or synthetic? Older synthetic bags are famous for losing some loft, though it can happen with any older bag. Are you normally warm in this bag at these temps when sleeping on the ground? If so, more evidence pointing to an UQ out of adjustment.

Big possibility: when I first started using a bag as a TQ, I had quite a few cold nights where I became instantly warm just by getting in the synthetic bag and zipping it up and using the hood/neck collar. This was a learning curve for me, overcoming a tendency towards drafts around the neck and shoulder, or really anywhere along the length of a quilt. I do fine these days, but any drafte must be 100% dealt with if you hope to approach the temp rating of a sleeping bag, TQ or UQ.

Next: head insulation is a must. Especially when going from sleeping in a mummy bag to using that bag as a TQ. When you bypass that bags thick, draft free hood/neck collar, you give up a huge hunk of it's rated warmth.
    I do believe the underquilt was properly adjusted and snug against the bottom of the hammock. I have slept fine on the ground with this sleeping bag and a pad at lower temps. It is an older synthetic mummy style bag though. The more I think about the head and shoulder area not being covered the more I think it could have been the problem.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket

Head insulation?

At what temp do people generally start wearing a hat?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    When my head or any if the rest of me feels cool. It will depend more on your body chemistry than on what a thermometer says.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    When do people generally eat? When they are hungry.
    Same applies to keeping warm. If your cool or cold, wear a hat................
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

• + New Posts