Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I was on the Red Show in 1980 but have no recollection of that event. But I would have marched my way to the train as clown shoes make good snowshoes)))))
    Here is an article about 80 storm, but it was the Blue Show -- http://hamptonroads.com/2011/02/circ...es-little-else

Just maybe back then I was one of those snot nosed, cotton candy eatin, swirly flashlight wavin brats watching you perform.

Minecraft, I get that amsteel is supposed to be pretty good, but why?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    SwinginIt thanks! This is is the sort of information I am trying to understand. Everyone has their favorite line, I was watching some Youtube videos with folks using braided mason line. I want to know why folks are using those lines and their advantages and drawbacks.
    Braided (NOT twisted) mason line will work in a pinch, is readily available, cheap, splice-able, and high visibility (I can only find hot pink or neon yellow, anyway). It's downs sizes are it has some stretch to it, and it tangles easily.

I have been very happy with my 1.25mm Z-Line. I tend to use a slipped taught line hitch for easy take down and it hold well, but because of the slip feature can be a little finicky. A normal hitch is easy and holds great, but a little more difficult to undue due to the smaller cord size. I plan to get a couple dutch flyz or stringerz to use with it for my ridge line.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use 7/64" Amsteel or Dynaglide for hammock suspension, continuous loops, dogbone, soft shackles, etc. For everything else, (hammock ridgeline, tarp ridgeline, tarp guy outs), I use 1.75 mm Zing It.

If you're not very good with your hands and splicing, I find 1/8" Amsteel easier to work with than 7/64.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Since the variety of lines seems to be less on this side of the pond, I can't really speak in terms of names in defining which ones I like to use, so: non-stretchy lines for the stringing up of the tarp to get it properly taught, and a bit stretchier for tie-outs to lessen the strain on the pull-outs and risk of ripping the tarp (not to the point of bungee cord, although this could be used for part of the line if the rest is too non-stretchy).

I also don't like too thin lines when it comes to the line that holds the tarp up, because with cold, wet hands (and where I camp you get that no matter what time of year it is, just a question whether they're just cold, or numb) I find it easier with at least 3mm line, preferrably 4mm. For tie-outs, I also try not to go thinner than 3mm.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    ...it does not light up like a disco at night.
    I was one of those guys wearing a "Disco sucks!" t-shirt back in the '70s, but I love the reflective guy lines on my tarps.

I most always hike and camp off-trail and the reflective cord not only helps me from tripping or clothes-lining myself in the evenings, it also helps to insure I find my camp if I go off on a day hike and get back late or have trouble finding my camp when I return.

I did a two-night solo trip this weekend. The only time I get the least bit worried is when I leave my camp, which is usually well off-trail in the ADK woods, to go for a long day hike. I always have that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind: will I be able to find my camp again after the hike? Always have so far....

My gear is all stealthy earthtones and camo, and my lines are dull gray/silver in the daytime. But at night, they shine from a long ways off under the beam of a headlamp or flashlight. I think that's a very good thing!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12