Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images

Second Sipsey Hangout - Another great weekend

Just getting back home from the 2nd HF Sipsey hangout. A great time was had, and I think there will be some good photos and stories forthcoming. We had some beautiful scenery, booming waterfalls, lovely rain, inviting bluff shelters, pleasant camraderie, good campfire chat, and rewarding side-hikes.

Just wanted to say that it was great to hang with all of you that attended, and great to meet the newcomers...thanks for a pleasant hangout and a great weekend of hiking everyone!

Attendees - angrysparrow, Ihangnbankhead, DougTheElder, SouthMark, MrPrez, skippy, Hetairoi, Dyehard, Grillmastertoo, Collier
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It was a fantastic weekend…complete with great water falls and scenery. I'm so glad that I made this trip. Met some really great people and learned a lot. Really glad to meet and hang with all of you.

Been home for long enough to hang gear to dry and wash some clothes. Mrprez and I left together and went through Haleyville were we stopped for lunch. We got detained for about twenty minutes outside of Haleyville due to what appeared to be a pretty bad accident. He followed me to Tuscaloosa and should be close to Mobile by now.

Thanks to everyone and thanks to ihangnbankhead for sharing his vast knowledge of the area.

Hammock
    switchback
    Sipsey is really a beautiful place to explore....The company made it that much better....I certainly appreciate all of the discussions on gear and equipment---I know it is what we all enjoy to talk about, but is was very informative listening to everyones thoughts....

After a brief tug out of the mud by Angry Sparrow(my heavy truck sunk in the mud over night, I guess) Collier, Sam, John and myself headed to Kinlock Shelter....Wow what a place....next time I want to take a light with me to see how far back the hole in the back of the shelter goes....

Does anyone know whats back there or how far it goes?

Ditto on the thanks to Thomas for sharing his knowledge of the Sipsey....

Hope to see you guys out in the woods again....

Grillmastertoo(Allen)

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My photos are not all that great but if anyone wants to see them just go to the link below and click on the AL Sipsey Hangout album. You can download any of the photos you want.

http://gallery.mac.com/dsouth#gallery

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    My photos are not all that great but if anyone wants to see them just go to the link below and click on the AL Sipsey Hangout album. You can download any of the photos you want.

http://gallery.mac.com/dsouth#gallery
    Wow .... those falls and that area has me intrigued! Who has the hex tarp? Do you like it? I am thinking about making one......
    Looks like a fun, fun time. Cool to see all the pack sizes .... some small and some huge. Like the stools. Extreme comfort. AngrySparrow seems to get the smallest, lightest pack award.
    Shug of Sipsey Envy
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Rarely am I at a loss for words, but trying to describe Sipsey is beyond my skills. I've never seen such a high density of beautiful scenes in such a compact area. It was a real delight. And dittos for all the positive remarks of AngrySparrow, SouthMark, Mr. Prez, IHNBH, and Grillmaster II. We were a diverse group, whippersnappers to geezers, but a good time was had by all. And special thanks to IHNBH for sharing his immense local knowledge. He's an outdoorsman of the finest sort. And he's kind to old people. DTE
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    Rarely am I at a loss for words, but trying to describe Sipsey is beyond my skills. I've never seen such a high density of beautiful scenes in such a compact area. It was a real delight. And dittos for all the positive remarks of AngrySparrow, SouthMark, Mr. Prez, IHNBH, and Grillmaster II. We were a diverse group, whippersnappers to geezers, but a good time was had by all. And special thanks to IHNBH for sharing his immense local knowledge. He's an outdoorsman of the finest sort. And he's kind to old people. DTE
    Hey, Doug, some how I missed the thread about the 2nd Sipsey hang out, don't know how that happened. Or as I think about it, I do know: I was over seas in Greece at that time. Any way, great to read this now, and see what a great trip you guys had. I bet a fall and/or winter trip will be happening!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-02-2009 at 15:27.

I made it home about 5pm. Had a great time and have lots of good pics as well as some videos. We even got some video of a north Alabama moonshiner that we ran into back in a holler. More later....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    I made it home about 5pm. Had a great time and have lots of good pics as well as some videos. We even got some video of a north Alabama moonshiner that we ran into back in a holler. More later....
    Man I missed some of North Alabama's finest! It's starting to warm up. I'm headed to Norway soon and hope to do some hanging there. We will have to plan a kayak hangout down here sometime this summer.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    I had a Great time Hanging with you guys! Maybe the next trip we can float down Sipsey or Brushy! Grillmastertoo I'm glad you got your truck out of the mud. I told Steve you guys must have went to Jacks to eat? I'm sorry we didn't wait! & Kinlock shelter don't go back that far in. I will see you guys our next trip! Lot's more place's to go but that was the Best waterfall in Bankhead! I'm glad you guys had a good time! Lots more to come! Thomas

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast