Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E46330d View Post
    FLScouthanger - Many many thanks for this! You've de-baffled something I've been trying, and failing to understand for some time! Cheers mate!
    Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    Thanks for this very informative i have been working it out in my mind and going over things slowly and almost got there pictures say so much more in a post,atb wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Nift View Post
    Nicely laid out. Thank You!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Very nicely put together FLScouthanger - this will become very helpful to many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Well done, thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang72 View Post
    nice powerpoint!
    Thanks all--I just hope it helps to adequately explain the process. That was the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    nicely done

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka.jobbe View Post
    How du you finish the sides and bottom aften the baffles are done?
    aka.jobbe,

How you finish the sides and ends are totally up to you. Some folks simply use a rolled hem and others put grosgrain on all the edges. Again, it is a personal choice on what you want. I purposefully did not address finishing the edges or stuffing the down, etc. in this thread--I only wanted to concentrate on the baffles. There are numerous other threads and plans in this DIY forum as well as the Top and Bottom Insulation forums that address these other aspects of quilt construction. That said, if you look at the very first slide in the original attachment of this thread you can see photos of the quilt I made last year--it has grosgrain on all it's edges.

Skål!

Hammock
    Lesovik Draka + many more
    Tarp
    Superfly + alot
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopiesling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    aka.jobbe,

How you finish the sides and ends are totally up to you. Some folks simply use a rolled hem and others put grosgrain on all the edges. Again, it is a personal choice on what you want. I purposefully did not address finishing the edges or stuffing the down, etc. in this thread--I only wanted to concentrate on the baffles. There are numerous other threads and plans in this DIY forum as well as the Top and Bottom Insulation forums that address these other aspects of quilt construction. That said, if you look at the very first slide in the original attachment of this thread you can see photos of the quilt I made last year--it has grosgrain on all it's edges.

Skål!

I'll look there then. Was just thinking how to get a Nice finish with the fabric and at the same time make at bungycoord chanal....

Skål Tommy to.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up Wonder Tape

If you don't like sticking yourself with pins, nor all the shifting-around that slippery nylon fabric can do even with pins, then you might like to try "Wonder Tape." I found it to be quite amazing, truly a "wonder" when sewing the two DIY UQs that I made this winter and spring.

I got it at a local sewing shop, but my wife found it at Joann Fabrics also just last night. Double-sided fabric tape that dissolves when washed. Especially great on mesh fabric.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Seriously thank you for the baffle explanation. All the DIY sites have been talking about baffle construction like they are light switches (everyone should just know how they work)

I really appreciate it, me and my girlfriend have been trying to figure out where the heck the mesh goes for a few days now.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    If you don't like sticking yourself with pins, nor all the shifting-around that slippery nylon fabric can do even with pins, then you might like to try "Wonder Tape." I found it to be quite amazing, truly a "wonder" when sewing the two DIY UQs that I made this winter and spring.

I got it at a local sewing shop, but my wife found it at Joann Fabrics also just last night. Double-sided fabric tape that dissolves when washed. Especially great on mesh fabric.

Rain Man

Just be sure when sewing through adhesives of _any_ kind, whether created for fabrics or not, to keep your needle _clean, clean clean_. The residue from adhesives can migrate on the needle down into the workings. That is not a good thing. Those adhesives are meant for short simple projects. Not the kind of length you can get into with quilts and tarps. Remember the copy writers who say it is safe for all fabrics don't always know anything about the machines. Now for appliques and patches where you stick a piece in the middle and sew around the edge it can be fine. I suppose you could use it out side of the stitch line area but IMO pins are easier.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Images
    Thanks for that!

I just finished a UQ with synthetic insulation...battling baffles will be my next big DIY.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    800FP Downtek
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great instruction that will help countless DIYers.

Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12