Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    Yes you will need more ridgeline than is supplied.

From what I see the ridgeline will work best on wider trees to keep the net spread out proper. But, if you are hanging from poles or narrow trees, using a spreader stick between the ridgeline wraps will keep it spread well enough.

So one continuous loop of cord wrapped around two trees, passed through the four hang loops, with spreader sticks between the two rl's at each tree.

I wouldn't suggest carrying sticks. Just make them as you go along from site to site. But hey, I'll be listening to other ideas as well.

Ok, first impressions of the netted (I already had the double):

1) Quality is ok. Some of the stitching attaching the stuff sack to the hammock is loose. Other than that it's similar to the double I have.
    2) Having locking carabiners is nice compared to the hooks that came with the double. However, they used the same VERY stretchy rope through the end channel. I recommend replacing that rope (I attached whoopies directly through the channels. I may use a continuous loop and put in the carabiner in order to have a ridgeline and something to hang the netting off of.
    3) The netting attachments are a bit confusing - they seem to be set up to spread apart but there's no real way to do so with the provided shock cord, which isn't long enough to double up between the trees if they're more than 15 or so feet apart. I may look into some sort of spreader for the net.
    4) It seems quite small compared to the double. I'd probably have trouble sleeping in it due to the size. I'm 6'4" 250, so YMMV.

As I get a chance to experiment more I'll post my results.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I couldn't wait and made the 45 minute ride to REI to pick up a set of Atlas straps. I just got back and it's dark, trying to storm but I hung it real quick anyway. WOW! First time I have ever hung in a hammock, this is great. Super quick to set up and comfortable.
    I can't wait until tomorrow so I can set it up again and try to figure out the bug net, right now I just can't figure it out. Thanks to JDK for suggesting look at the skeeter beater, watching those videos is as close as I have come to figuring the net out.
    I think I am addicted already. Tomorrow I am placing an order with Warbonnet, can't wait. If anyone wants to take a shot at explaining the bug net I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    I couldn't wait and made the 45 minute ride to REI to pick up a set of Atlas straps. I just got back and it's dark, trying to storm but I hung it real quick anyway. WOW! First time I have ever hung in a hammock, this is great. Super quick to set up and comfortable.
    I can't wait until tomorrow so I can set it up again and try to figure out the bug net, right now I just can't figure it out. Thanks to JDK for suggesting look at the skeeter beater, watching those videos is as close as I have come to figuring the net out.
    I think I am addicted already. Tomorrow I am placing an order with Warbonnet, can't wait. If anyone wants to take a shot at explaining the bug net I would appreciate it. Thanks!
    congrats dude.

is it possible to flip upside down if you don't need the netting? mine won't be arriving until the 5th!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I did not try it but I did read somewhere that you could, now that I think about it I see no reason why you couldn't.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Alright, I went out this morning with the Yukon Outfitters Hammock and the Atlas straps I picked up from REI yesterday evening.

I like it but I am not crazy about the material in my face. I am brand spanking new as in this is the first hammock I have ever laid in, not counting your large white yard hammocks. I do not like my view being totally obscured either. I am predominately a side sleeper and this is very hard to get comfortable on your side, on my back it is sweet. I am not a huge guy at 5'10" 210lbs but I am not tiny either.

I took the shock cord for the net and ran it through the net holes and then attahced them higher on the open spots on the Atlas Straps. It seems to work, not great but it does the job with a couple of sticks spreading it out.

For $29.99 shipped to the house it was a no brainer and I am very happy with my purchase. I forgot to mention that you can flip it over if you do not want to use the bug net, it worked just fine that way.

I am heading over to Warbonnet to make an order this morning. I have been talking to Brandon for most of the week and he has been top notch. I have decided on the Ridge Runner as I feel it fits my style much better. However With that said, do you guys think the Blackbird lays differently than this Yukon hammock I have now? It looks like the foot box in the BB will allow you to la on your side easier and also the tie outs look to help. What do you guys think?

Here is a picture of the Yukon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    I am heading over to Warbonnet to make an order this morning. I have been talking to Brandon for most of the week and he has been top notch. I have decided on the Ridge Runner as I feel it fits my style much better. However With that said, do you guys think the Blackbird lays differently than this Yukon hammock I have now? It looks like the foot box in the BB will allow you to la on your side easier and also the tie outs look to help. What do you guys think?
    The Yukon double lays very different than the Yukon netted due to their size differences. There is a lot more room in the double. I don't know much about the BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    I got my Yukon with the bug net today.

Interested to see how anyone puts in an adjustable ridgeline to keep the net off....OR....to sew a ridgeline into the ends....or ??

I dunno.

asking for ideas.

Dos

ps I got the double wide on the last Woot sale.
    I love it!
    Little bit more material than I would normally like, but totally comfy.
    +1 on the interest in how folks work the ridgeline. Not surprising, the instructions included are really not a help here, and the intended use of the cord locks is unclear. The instructions describe 4 channels to pass the cord through, and I think someone else mentioned 4 in this discussion, but mine has six (three on each side).

I am hoping to see some creative suggestions.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Don't have one yet
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Tie down straps

Re: It's BACK! Woot.com has the Yukon Outfitters Double/Bug Net Versions on Sale Agai

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark View Post
    +1 on the interest in how folks work the ridgeline. Not surprising, the instructions included are really not a help here, and the intended use of the cord locks is unclear. The instructions describe 4 channels to pass the cord through, and I think someone else mentioned 4 in this discussion, but mine has six (three on each side).

I am hoping to see some creative suggestions.
    Yeah, that seemed screwy to me too and the instructions were useless.

I just ran the shock cord down one side (through 3 of the loops), around the tree, down the other side (the other 3 loops) and then connected the two ends of the shock cord with the clamps around the back of the other tree.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Don't have one yet
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Tie down straps

Re: It's BACK! Woot.com has the Yukon Outfitters Double/Bug Net Versions on Sale Agai

Finally got my double in today! Man is it nice to have that extra room!

For the other n00b's out there I figured I would share how I set up my suspension.

I used what I had laying around the garage and plan to stick with this setup at least for now because weight is not a huge concern for me.

The only thing I did buy was a 4 set of descending rings from whoopieslings.com.

I had a set of straps like these laying around so I used them as my webbing. As you can see from the pictures I went around the tree twice (to prevent slippage) and then ran the loose end through the loop for the buckle instead of using the buckle itself. I'm told those buckles are a weak point.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...aps-67386.html

Originally I just put the descending rings on the locking carabiner like so:

But, I didn't like the metal on metal contact so I:

#1. Pulled the string out of the channel on the end of the hammock.
    #2. Attached the descending rings to the string.
    #3. Pushed the knotted end back through the channel.
    #4. Looped the descending ring end through the knotted end so I got this:

Hope that helps someone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast