ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Shenandoah NP - Lewis Mtn Campground with my daughter

Since becoming a hammock geek (and I use that term lovingly) I have been looking for ways to get my family involved.

This weekend, I took my 12 year old daughter up to Lewis Mountain Campground in Shenandoah National Park (near Elkton, VA) to a daddy/daughter trip. I packed no less than 4 hammocks 3 tarps, and a tent. She was adamantly opposed to sleeping anywhere other than in a tent with me and I of course would be okay never sleeping in a tent again.

It was raining so setup had to be quick. I had hoped to sit at the picnic table and show her how to make whoopie slings for her hammock but that wasn't in the cards. Luckily I brought two "standby" hammocks that were all set with whoopies and ridgelines. I set up the big Kelty Noah's 12 tarp in a diamond configuration with one end rigged to a tight line strung between two trees about 5 feet apart. Even with her protesting, I set up her (actually my wife's ENO DN) hammock next to mine under the tarp. Then I had her help me put the bug net over it. She got in, I zipped her up, and she said "okay, I think I can do this."

We set up the Kelty Noah's 9 next to it and made a living room for our camp chairs. This proved to be a great spot to make and drink coffee in the morning when the drizzle started again.

We went ahead (since it was cool already) and put on the underquilts, added our pillows and sleeping bags, and hung our headlamps and a few other items on the ridgeline so we would be ready at bed time.

The rain stopped so we hiked to the overlook at Lewis Mountain. I had been a few weeks before and it was a short walk with a very rewarding view. But not today....it was foggy with about 200 feet of visibility.

Luckily I had a picture from that exact spot 3 weeks earlier, so we pulled it up on the iphone, looked at the view, chuckled, and moved on.

We collected some damp sticks and twigs along the hike back, nothing that would burn, so we broke down and bought some expensive firewood (you're not allowed to bring your own really) and set about making the inevitable s'mores.

About the campground: Lewis Mountain (31 campsites) is a calm, quiet campground on Skyline drive along the Appalachian Trail. It is hammock friendly, lots of hikers come through and use it. Campsites are first come first serve which is risky on busy weekends but most sites are okay for hanging if you had to. Lewis Mountain is one of the least popular campgrounds in the park, not sure why but probably because it doesn't have the amenities of Big Meadows or Matthew's Arm, but it is quiet, cool, and clean.

I hear that Loft Mountain is a good campground as well. Big Meadows is very large and very busy but driving through a few times, I believe it would be a great spot for a hang, particularly on the off-season when you can occupy some of the heavily wooded sites near the bottom of the A-loop. Matthew's Arm campground is also pretty large compared to Lewis Mtn, but seems to have a few good spots for hammocks.

At $15-$20 per night for car camping, these sites are hard to beat! If you're in the area, give me a shout. I think Skyline Drive is my second home.

Al

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    Skyline Drive is awesome!!! It is still the biggest lure to the AT through hike for me. Thanks for sharing.
    There is no try, only do.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Thanks for sharing, ver cool trip idea. And not to far from me. Maybe my daughter and i should make a trip!!
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    We even made an instructional video. It's funny that she would even want to do such a thing, but I showed her how to hang a bear bag and said "you should do a youtube video" and she was all over it.

How to hang a bear bag using the PCT method

Kids are funny these days, I would have been happy in the woods poking sticks into tree stumps or something, they have to be entertained differently now.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images
    Man, that takes me back. My dad and I used to daytrip in the Shenandoah NP when I was a kid. This was also the first place I first experienced camping.

• + New Posts