From Charlie at the RRG (Naturally, I got to work that weekend,,, AGAIN!):

" Hey Trail Crew,

The stair projects are coming along very nice; Double Arch only lacks a railing and Auxier has the flights going in. The weather here has been all over the scale, a couple weeks of very hot stuff followed by a fall like weekend. I hope everyone got out and enjoyed that cool weather. The rain has been plentiful and there are places the trails are showing wear from the heavy downpours. Hiking in a heavy downpour is a great way to learn how trails “should” shed water.

Coming up August tenth is our next Red River Gorge Trail Crew service outing. We will be working on construction projects in the Auxier Ridge and Double Arch areas. We are in the process of replacing trail stair structures that were built about 40 years ago. These projects have been ongoing and are nearing completion. If you want to bring your favorite hammer and hand saw feel free to do so, we will also be doing the basic brush clearing, blazing and tread repair too. The views are fantastic from these ridges.

We will be meeting at the Auxier Ridge Trailhead Parking lot for the August outing, the meeting time is 9:00am. We will gather for the safety briefing and work assignments then head out to the project sites. All participants will be required to attend the safety briefing and all safety equipment will be provided by the Forest Service. Be sure to bring plenty of water for the day, sturdy boots and gloves. Everybody participates at their own comfort level and we will not be in a hurry about anything. As always a day on the trail will be followed by our famous RRGTC potluck dinner and evening social at our Volunteers only campground. Bring a bite to eat n’ share and come join us, stay the night if you want.

To get to Auxier Ridge Trailhead: take exit 33 from the Bert T. Combs Mountain Parkway and turn left under the overpass. Turn right on KY 15 South, then three and one half miles and left onto Tunnel Ridge Road. Three miles and the road ends at Auxier Ridge Trailhead. If you would like to be removed from this mailing just let me know. More information can be obtained at www.rrgtc.com or drop me a call if ya want, always glad to talk with Volunteers.

All Red River Gorge Trail Crew service outings are official US Forest Service approved projects. All Red River Gorge Trail Crew participants sign on as official US Forest Service Volunteers. For more information contact the Gladie ECLC on Hwy 715 in the RRG, or call Charlie Rowe @ 606-663-0576 x 106

Charlie Rowe

Daniel Boone National Forest

3451 Skybridge Road, Hwy 715

Stanton, KY 40380

(606) 663-0576 e106 "