Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Simply Light Designs Streamliner Hammock

Jared from Simply Light Designs sent me an 11' Streamliner SL 1.9 to review as discussed in this thread https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=72114. Shipping info was sent on a Fri and the hammock showed up the following Wed, right before the 4th of July long weekend. Took it with me on what became only a 2 day hike, unfortunately. I've also spent a few more nights in it in my backyard, and a couple short breaks on the trail.

I attached 7/64" Amsteel UCR's and a Zing It ridgeline through the hammock end channels. Hammock, suspension, and double ended stuff sack weighed 15.6oz. Add in my aluminum toggles and Dutchware treestraps and ready to hang the weight is 18.6oz

As requested here are a couple of pics with a body in it

]

In this last pic, it looks as if my shoulders are getting squeezed a bit. At first it almost feels that way, but I didn't find it to be a problem.

I started out with the ridgeline at 109" and adjusted down in 2" increments to 104", then out to 111". At the shortest length I found a bit of calf ridge pressure and loose fabric on the sides, losing any benefit gained by the cat cuts. I'd put a fixed length SRL at 109" on this one and be done.

Getting into the hammock is about like any other, except the edges get very tight. A little unsettling the first few times, but not a big deal. If you're not careful you kind of fall into it. Getting out of it has a short learning curve, because the edges really tighten up. I found it easiest to hang it a little lower to the ground, get my feet on the ground and walk backwards. It sometimes help to pull yourself up using the ridgeline.

I found this hammock to be as comfortable, if not more so, side sleeping as it was sleeping on my back. The first night on the trail I mainly slept on one side or the other, not something I normally do in a hammock.

As far as comparing to my other hammocks, a GT SB and a 10' DIY, it's pretty comfortable. Obviously more room than the SB, maybe not quite as comfortable as the DIY. I've slept well in it with no complaints. I don't think I would go any shorter than 11', being 5' 11'' and 200#. This is the first 11' hammock I've been in, waiting on the one I have ordered so no side by side comparison. I feel like I want to get more diagonal, like I would in a regular gathered end, but it's a flat lay nonetheless.

I took my puffer jacket UQ and TQ with me and used them both nights without any problems. Both quilts stayed put, although I did use a bugnet. Your head and feet end up where the cat cuts are wider and I think this helps keep everything inside the hammock.

I wasn't sure I would like this design or how comfortable it would be, especially with this disclaimer from the website:
    "Due to the nature of the Cat Curve,
    this hammock is best for those hangers who do not lounge around camp."
    I found it to be more than comfortable enough for a quick break/nap on the trail. Comfort wasn't nearly as big an issue as I thought it would be. I think Jared accomplished what he set out to do with this design.

Overall a very well made product from SLD, and one I would recommend. Fit and finish are on par with any of the products I own from other cottage vendors. Stuff sack is just big enough for the hammock, suspension, and a DIY Fronkey bugnet. Takes up hardly any more room in the pack than my Tadpole.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by goobie; 07-29-2013 at 21:23.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thanks for the write up though I can't see any of the pictures.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
    Thanks for the write up though I can't see any of the pictures.
    +1

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Silly noob

Sorry all, hope that fixed it

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Many thanks I like the cat cuts and can't wait to get mine in. I'll post a few pictures once I get it all up and hanging. Looks like the views are really nice out of the sides as well with the extra material gone.

Nice looking setup. My buddy got one a couple months ago in the same color and loves it. Thumbs up to Jared on a great rig.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    A quick update:

I hung in a "conventional" hammock last night for the first time since receiving this hammock from Jared. Knotty modded and the same dimensions as the Streamliner, without the cat cuts. The first thing I noticed was the walls of fabric I had been missing due to the cat cuts on the Streamliner. I guess I had gotten used to the more open view of this design. Hadn't really thought about it until I couldn't see out nearly as well as I have been.

• + New Posts