Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HH Vs WBB?

HH Vs WBB?

I've been hanging in my Hennessy H. ASymEx for quite a few years and although I really like it's functionality and comfort, I'm intrigued with the WBB and inparticular it's "foot box." Does the WBB's footbox give considerably more comfort than the HH different design? That said, it's a heck of lot more expensive than my HH. Additionally, the WB would necessitate the purchase of an underquilt etc.

Anyone out there have experience with both of these fine hanging systems? Thanks.

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    I only have brief experience with the Hennessy Backpacker Asym Zip so I won't embarrass myself too badly except to ask the question: Why do you believe the Hennessy doesn't need the under quilt and the Blackbird does? I always believed they both could benefit equally from one.

It's true the Blackbird needs an additional purchase though. That's the tarp.

Hammock
    HH exped.Asym/ WBBB / DD-travel
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Suspension
    truckers-hitch

HH Vs WBB?

I have them both, and they're both great hammocks! Which is most comfortable for sleeping is a personal thing. I do like the footbox and the extra storage in the WBB but I can't say it sleeps better in than a HH. Best would be to find someone nearby with a WBB and try for yourself first.
    Happiness aint at the end of the road, Happiness IS the road !

www.anorak84.wordpress.com

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I've had several HH hammocks, but currently I have a Blackbird. I like the fabric that the BB is made of much better than the HH. The HH felt kind of "rubbery"? or something. The BB is nice and soft. The shelf is nice as well.

IMO the BB is a more comfy hammock (but that's just me)
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The WBBB doesn't really require a underquilt. I use a double layer with a pad and it works really well
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I own and have been using a HH for a couple of years. I have a WBBB on order, though, based on what I've read and a test of a friend's BB. The difference for me wasn't so much about comfort as it was about the double layer option for the BB, and the zippered opening (my HH is a bottom entry model).

The connection to the underquilt is relevant here. With the bottom entry HH, using a UQ is more difficult, both in getting in with the UQ on, and adjusting it from inside. Plus, since I want to combine a pad with my UQ to get through the coldest nights, I wanted the BB double layer to hold the pad in place.

If you have a zip model HH, or a zipper mod, this may alter some of these comparisons.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy M View Post
    I've been hanging in my Hennessy H. ASymEx for quite a few years and although I really like it's functionality and comfort, I'm intrigued with the WBB and inparticular it's "foot box." Does the WBB's footbox give considerably more comfort than the HH different design? That said, it's a heck of lot more expensive than my HH. Additionally, the WB would necessitate the purchase of an underquilt etc.

Anyone out there have experience with both of these fine hanging systems? Thanks.
    By "Ex" do you mean Explorer or the shorter Expedition?

Both hammocks have their fans. A lot of folks have switched from the HH to the WBBB and feel it is superior in all respects. Others feel it is = to or superior in all accounts except for one huge way: a center ridge that causes pressure and is hard or impossible for some to get rid of and can finally be a deal breaker for that group.

I have both, and I pretty well fit in that last group above, except it has not been a deal breaker for me yet.

Plus for the WBBB: I think the WBBB net is roomier around my face, the shelf is very handy. I think it is definitely easier for me to sleep on my side with legs straight than in my Explorer UL. More room for feet, less likely to have feet pressed against side of hammock. Suspension is a delight ( cinch buckles with biners)

Neutral for both: I find both to be about the same upper body comfort when flat on my back, or in fetal position, and that gets most of my sleep time.

Pro for HHSS Explorer UL: Much less problem with center ridge causing leg pressure. It is quite possible to have this problem with my HH hammock, but I can usually find a sweet spot or hammock adjustment that avoids it, or if I do have it it may well be little enough pressure to ignore. That is really the only outright winner for the HH I can think of vs the WBBB. But that can be quite a big point if you are in the group that gets a lot of pressure. Which group will you be in? Only one way to know! And keep in mind that usually most of us can solve that problem with something soft and pillow like under our knees.

Here is the big question for you it seems to me: do you ever have this leg (calf) pressure in your HH? You say you have been quite comfy in it for many years.

Oh, and I do like to use my HHSS sometimes on my HH. But then my synthetic Yeti is great on the WBBB also. And while I often have trouble with the WBBB leg pressure, my son used it on a recent trip and had no complaints. As for pad use, both brands have at least one double layer pad pocket model available, or you can use an ENO Hotspot SPE in the HH single layer hammocks.

Good luck on your decision!

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    ALL HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a HH Explorer UL Asym Zip and just receintly purchased a BB 1.1 DL of a member here. As far as the hammock goes they are both comparable in weight (just the hammock and suspension which I have whoopies on both) and the BB is larger and more comfortable. But that is just my opinion.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Both are great hammocks. I have used both the BB and HH (Exped, BPUL and Hyperlight)

The BB would probably have a slight (I emphasize slight, as it's not very much) edge in comfort due to just being a longer hammock. The shelf is a nice feature but its use is limited IMO - it can only handle lighter items as heavier items tend to weigh it down and hang right next to and you'll be bumping into them all night. That, and you need to be careful that nothing you put in there can snag the netting and cause runs. The footbox provides a nice pocket for your feet, but doesn't affect comfort IME. It serves the same function as the asymmetric tie outs on the HH. Being a gathered whipped end it has slightly (again, very slight) more pronounced calf ridge.

At 5' 11" 180 lbs I find that the Expedition/Backpacker/Hyperlight (being even shorter than the Explorer) is comfortable enough for my needs - but I'm definitely in the minority in that aspect. The Explorer of course should provide even more comfort being even longer. The folded and gathered end provides slightly less calf ridge than the whipped and gathered end. The asymmetric tie outs provide a well defined head and foot area.

The BB bugnet feels more roomy when staked out, but you have the strip of nylon below the bugnet that attches to the zipper that restricts your view when laying in the hammock zipped up. The HH bugnet is closer to your face with the tie out utilized and provides a clearer view with the hammock zipped up.

The biggest difference for me is where the tie outs are connected. On the BB they are connected to the upper section bugnet and on the HH they are connected on the hammock itself. With the tie out staked to the ground on the BB, you have to duck under the bugnet to get in/load the hammock. With the HH (zip models) staked to the ground you can walk up and get in/load the hammock with out ducking under the net.

For me the last two factors (view and accessability) are why I like my HH's and they more frequently end up in my pack as I find the difference in comfort minimal.

As always JMO, YMMV HYOH etc etc.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    XLC Blackbird Multi-cam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti multicam
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy M View Post

Maybe this will help you.

When I seen this I went with WB

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast