ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps

NJ-BATONA trail-batso to lower forge, July 2013

finally got around to do a trip report...
    July 9-10 2013 (tues-wed)

Haven't been out backpacking for quite some time, so i wanted to hit the trail, dust off the gear, and start to get out on a regular basis. i figured a good way to ease back in is the relativly flat BATONA trail in the NJ Pine Barrens, made famous by the Sopranos and cryptozoologists...so after a bit of research and help from HF members (thanks silvrsurfr, kayakkarl, siltentorpheous, and others!) i decided to head out for a 7.2 mile out and back. I started at Batso Village, hiked BATONA trail, camped at lower forge, hiked mullica river trail back.

Stayed at site #4 in lower forge, made reservations through reserveamerica.com but turned out i didn't need to, midweek, there was no one there!!

Gear performed exceptionally well, it was real hot, so i didn't need an UQ, at about 3/4 AM was a bit chilly (70-something) so i pulled on the TQ, didn't rain, so i kept the tarp rolled up, DIY bug net (Fronkey/Cryptic Cricket mashup) worked well, but i think i was getting bit through the hammock, gotta treat with permetherin before next trip. the buzzing by my ear was maddening! One epic fail, i filled my DIY gravity water filter bag with tea colored NJ pine barrens water and hung it up on a not so secure branch, guess what happened next? sploosh! on the ground seam totally split, good thing i had iodine as a backup, didn't help the color of the water though...

For food, i tried to keep it healthy and simple, lunchs/snacks were apple sauce in squeeze packs (apple mango yum!) my wife called it baby food, whatever! trader joes fig bars, snickers, and these "go picnic" packs from target, very good! emergen C for drinks, dinner: trader joes mac n cheese with smoky tuna packet and hot sauce freezer bag method, yogi bedtime tea, bkfst: granola, TJ's freeze dried strawberries and blueberries (it was blueberry season who knew! i supplemented with fresh as many i could carry!), and Klim powdered milk, and coffee. all cooked in a bios stove in a fosters pot. i hung the food PCT style. i stocked up on hot sauce and honey packets from the rest stops!

I gotta tell ya I was a little creeped out at night being the only person in the CG! whiporwhills were singing all night, and heard a pack of coyotes off in the distance, no mobsters and no devils visited though...

on the hike back, ran across some 4x4r's some campers at mullica river CG which had a pump for clean clear water! yay! some kaykers, some hikers...my footwear/socks didn't work out, got bad blisters on my pinkie toes, i think my NB trail runners were too narrow, was going to go with merrell trail gloves, in hindsight i should have!

long report huh?
    some pictures:

about 24lbs total, yes that is an old school kelty external frame, worked like a champ!
    selfie, hat choice was annoying, kept hitting the pack

site #4

neat and tidy

gotta have the hammock shot

epic fail

quaker bridge, mullica river, i drank that?
    dogs were barking!!

Batso lake, almost done!

thank you HF forums for all the great info and help!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nice trip report - makes me want to hit the Pine Barrens this weekend.

Site #4 in lower forge, a popular spot

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps

NJ-BATONA trail-batso to lower forge, July 2013

Thanks for all the intel silvrsurfr!!

Definitely want to hit the trail again in the fall, I think I would stay at mullica river CG just for the water pump!

BTW someone had recommended piccalilli inn (on rte 206) for post trail vittles, I concur!! Great place! The crab soup was outstanding!!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Good report.

Having Lower Forge to yourself is pretty awesome - nice and peaceful, at least until the locals start to howl.

Glad you had a good time. Gotta get back out there now that it's cooled down a touch.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I used my old external frame last trip. Nothing wrong with old-school.
    I tie the back of my hat up so it does not hit the pack.
    Nice report, thanks.
    -Liz -

Images
    Sounds like fun. I haven't been able to come up with anything that will remove the color out of that water. It's from the cedar, at least I think. Any bit of water that runs through cedar trees, ends up yellow I've seen, and is usually ice cold. That's the great thing, those little cedar creeks are ice cold all year, even in 100 degree weather so refreshing. It's nothing harmful, drink away. I've actually added an inline carbon filter from katadyn in my setup, helps with taste.

• + New Posts