Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ

07.28-29.13, Serene Lake via Dry Ridge Trail Backpack (Oregon)

20.0 miles, 3750' gained, 1 night

I decided to post a trip on my Meetup group to do Serene Lake but from a different approach because I was too lazy to drive all the way to the Shellrock TH or the Frazier Turnaround TH. Besides, I had already done that trail and wanted something different. We started at 9a from the Roaring River Campground where the trailhead for the Dry Ridge Trail (#518) starts. There was conflicting information on the mileage for this trail, the stuff I found on the USFS site said it was 5.2 miles to the Grouse Point Trail (#517) but when we got to the trailhead for Dry Ridge, it said it was 6 miles...hmmmm, the plot thickens.

So we started on the 3 miles of insane up, up, up and more up until we arrived at a trail junction for FS Road 4635. Apparently you can drive to this road, and catch a short trail to connect here, thus missing out on the lovely elevation gain. Making mental note for next time. We continued along the Dry Ridge trail with gentle inclines upward and sometimes with some flat spots, and two creek crossings that were a piece of cake. Eventually we came to the intersection of Dry Ridge, Grouse Point and another trail to FS Road 4611. The signs said we had gone 6 miles from Roaring River. We continued on the Grouse Point Trail (#517) another 3 miles (according to the signs!) to the Serene Lake Trail (#512) which showed a 1 mile drop down to the lake. The Grouse Point Trail was nice. It had gentle slopes upward and I swear we walked through about a mile of thick rhododendrons before starting a short ascent to the top of the ridgeline and eventually coming to the Serene Lake Trail (#512).

We descended down to the lake around 2:30p and found a nice spot with a breeze and a picnic table. The bugs were not bad because of the breeze and we set up camp. We found a lot of nice firewood for a campfire later and spent the afternoon relaxing, reading books, walking around the lake and basically chilling out. Dinner was followed by a campfire and then we retired to our respective tent and hammock. I had been camping the previous two nights at McIver State Park and it was my third night sleeping without my tarp. There were clear, blue skies, a gentle breeze and lots of stars. It was very quiet, with very few sounds in the night.

The next morning, we started up around 7a and worked on breakfast and breaking down camp. We were on the trail by 9a and started the slog up the hill to the trail junction. We took a quick break and set off at a healthy pace, taking another break at the next trail junction. The first 4 miles went by rather quickly and we stopped around 11:30a for an early lunch with 3 miles of downhill to go. Our return to the trailhead happened at 1:30p and a successful backpack was completed.

I tested out my Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack and it performed flawlessly. I might be in love. I didn't weigh my pack but with water and food, I am guessing I was around 25-30lbs. I also used my Mini Tattoo alcohol stove again. I'm still not impressed with it, but I think it has more to do with the pot I am using (Snow Peak 700) than the stove itself. I also forgot my windscreen so that might have had something to do with it's performance. I am looking forward to trying out some new alcohol stove ideas this winter when I have more time. In the meantime, I will probably just bring the Micro PocketRocket the next time I go out. It's so simple and light!

My one negative from the experience was the insane amount of microtrash all around the campsite and the large amounts of toilet paper and human feces. My backpacking partner found some really awesome amounts of human feces while out walking. How hard is it to dig a **** cathole? Or pack out your garbage? I just don't get it. Once again, another favorite spot is ruined by people's lack of respect for nature. I'm not sure I will return to Serene Lake anytime soon because of this. It's such an amazing place, it really sucks to see it destroyed by lazy people. It seems to me that since this is such a high use area, it would make sense to have a composting toilet nearby. Just a thought. I know there's no money in the budget.

Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Suspension
    webbing

Great pics

That is one serene looking lake., I like to see someone else that takes pictures of every trail sign along the way. I cannot understand why people cannot contain their mess. At least get it in the fire ring to carbonize. Next time drive up high and stay longer cause you have now Been There Done That!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    This was my second time here...last time was just a day hike. This will be my last due to the garbage. There are other better places to go without the garbage.
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Looks like a nice spot. Sorry to hear about the garbage. I think there are stupid people everywhere.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Wow. The majesty of creation. Thanks for the report and photos

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 8 by 10
    Insulation
    20 Degree Pheonix
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    thanks for the report, it looks like a great place. Sorry the trash has to ruin your experience. You know, once in a while you find some piece of trash along the trail and can hope that it was an accident, or sometimes a piece of gear that you know was an accident, but when you can tell it was just total lack of respect for the area it is infuriating! My last trip I was in a area that doesn't see much use and there was stained toilet paper right on one of the few logical places to camp and I wanted to wring someone's neck. Really? Then out in the real middle of nowhere two bright blue beer cans on the trail about 4 miles apart. The first one I could think might have fallen out of someones pack unbeknownst, but when I saw the second one......

But again thanks for the pics and the report, enjoyed it!

• + New Posts