WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps

Best UQ for the money?

I bought an AHE Jarbridge a couple weeks ago. Fits great and couldn't beat the price. It's very light weight and compresses nicely.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    We have another vendor not yet mentioned.

Underquilts.com

They'll make a shell for you, place the baffles and thread inject three sides closed.

You buy or re-purpose down. Fill each baffle with as much down as desired, then close the remaining side. You'll need to check their site, but UQ shells start around 50 bucks.

Lost Biker, is great to work with on materials and design, until you have exactly what you want, and is a regular contributor to HF. He's published threads on every stitch you need to make, to complete your UQ, and will stay in communication as long you might need help.

Save some bucks and learn some DIY
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    ThermaRest
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

Best UQ for the money?

All of this has been incredibly helpful but is a lot to process! I have a lot of research to do now but thank you all so much!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martindoms View Post
    All of this has been incredibly helpful but is a lot to process! I have a lot of research to do now but thank you all so much!
    I would agree. I went round and round before setting on a Jacks or Better The Nest.

I did exactly what the guys have suggested to you. First determine where, how, when you are going to use it along with the bulk of the weather you will be using it in. Here is what I came up with for me.

Temps: Mostly in Virginia (not super cold) winter, spring, fall (I hate the heat/humidity) so that means 20F or above 80% of the time. The other 20% I can always add items to me ( like wool) to compensate.

Moisture: I motorcycle camp so my items do not normally get wet. That means I did not need to go with synthetics.

Size/Weight: Also because I motorcycle camp weight was a non issue, but compression was a big issue...down was my choice. Add to that I am short, 5' 2", and a 3/4 becomes a full size to me

Misc: Due to limited mobility I use a HH with classic (bottom) entry and I hate "fiddling" with stuff. Therefore I wanted something that was 100% compatible with the HH ...Only two real choice for me there. The Potomac and The Nest.

Personally I would make a list of what is important to you then go check out all the forums cottage vendors. They all have a proven track record, they work their butts off to keep us happy, and they all deliver an excellent product.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I wanted something that was 100% compatible with the HH ...Only two real choice for me there. The Potomac and The Nest.

I have a HH Expedition Zip and I am something of a noob with it. I'm planning on using the hammock for a longer section hike on the AT next spring and I'm trying to decide what to get while also keeping a budget in mind. I like the idea of DIY but I have no sewing experience what-so-ever.

However, I am wondering, based on your post--are there only certain types of UQs that are compatible with certain types of hammocks?

If there are only a few brands that function well with the HH, then that will narrow my search efforts considerably.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    I have a HH Expedition Zip and I am something of a noob with it. I'm planning on using the hammock for a longer section hike on the AT next spring and I'm trying to decide what to get while also keeping a budget in mind. I like the idea of DIY but I have no sewing experience what-so-ever.

However, I am wondering, based on your post--are there only certain types of UQs that are compatible with certain types of hammocks?

If there are only a few brands that function well with the HH, then that will narrow my search efforts considerably.
    Many quilts will work, most have more fiddle factor than others. Currently there are only 2 quilts made specifically to fit the HH's. We make one..the Potomac and then there is the other that we do not make.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post

Many will "work" with the HH esp. the zipper version but I have the classic (bottom) entry and there are only two UQ meant to work specifically with it. The Potomac and The Nest.

If you have zippers on both sides of the HH then you can make adjustments once you are inside the hammock. The classic does not allow for reaching out and adjusting the UQ on the fly. If you only have a zipper on one side then you will need to do something so you don't have to adjust the side without the zipper. Quilt hooks (Dutch) comes to mind just as a suggestion.

As I said, I don't like to fiddle with stuff. I want it to go on, fit, and work the first time. That is why I personally purchase products meant to fit together but you might be very different and like to mess around to make it "yours." Neither way is right...you gotta hang your own hang

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Many will "work" with the HH esp. the zipper version but I have the classic (bottom) entry and there are only two UQ meant to work specifically with it. The Potomac and The Nest.

If you have zippers on both sides of the HH then you can make adjustments once you are inside the hammock. The classic does not allow for reaching out and adjusting the UQ on the fly. If you only have a zipper on one side then you will need to do something so you don't have to adjust the side without the zipper. Quilt hooks (Dutch) comes to mind just as a suggestion.

As I said, I don't like to fiddle with stuff. I want it to go on, fit, and work the first time. That is why I personally purchase products meant to fit together but you might be very different and like to mess around to make it "yours." Neither way is right...you gotta hang your own hang
    Well, if you use a strict definition of under quilt, then there are only 2. But there is what I used 1st ( I did not know any better, did not know what an UQ was or what HF was and had only just learned the concept of camping with a hammock) with a bottom entry HH and still use occasionally with all types of HHs: The HH Super Shelter. I know it is not a quilt but it feels just like an UQ to me, and I own several. And though it has a reputation as having a lot of fiddle factor, I feel it has about the least fiddle of anything out there. Why do I say such a crazy thing? Because you connect it to the head per HH directions, and then the foot, and then thread the side tie outs through the pad/UC openings( though I occasionally skip this) and that is the end of it. It will then be positioned exactly as designed, and there is simply nothing else to adjust even if you wanted to. At this point it either works for you or it doesn't, but there is really nothing to fiddle with. Now, if you want to use extra clothing or other insulation to extend it past it's intended temperatures, then things can get a little more fiddly, but not with normal use IMHO.

But, I think that the OP, Martindoms, is using a side entry, so he can use about any UQ that pleases him, but if he does not have an HH can not use an HHSS.

Jabridge is excellent for the money( synthetic: Climashield). All JRBs are excellent in my experience, as is my synthetic WB Yeti. TJRB and UGQs (and others?) have the water resistant down option, and I sure would get that if going with down!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    UGQs (and others?) have the water resistant down option, and I sure would get that if going with down!
    Our 700 GDD is a great bargain for a super down quilt. After working with it filling orders I'm pretty impressed with our production lot of down. Looking at the quilts you can not tell the difference between Goose or Duck, of course to scale does not lie and there is a minor weight penalty for the cost savings...

See more pictures of this quilt filled with 700 GDD on our FaceBook page.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I started out with the snugpak synthetic uq, because it was one of the cheaper I saw (and shipping was from this side of the puddle too). Worked nicely, albeit on the heavier side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast