SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

Choosing between Down and Synthetic?

I've been reading through the thread and trying to find the differences between using Down and Synthetic for TQ and UQ. So far it seems that Down will pack smaller though being packed for too long could ruin the loft, Synthetic won't pack as small but shouldn't lose as much loft if stored rolled.

I'm making my DIY PLUQ first but may look at buying or making a Synthetic or Down set later down the road depending on how I like the PLUQ version.

It seems the choice may be more preference based than anything.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
    It seems the choice may be more preference based than anything.
    Around here, this will be the case 9 times out of 10.
    As Martha would say, it's a good thing.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Neither should be stored long term packed tight. For storage they should be kept with as little compression on them as possible. For a trip it really won't make much difference in long term performance to stuff either insulation.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Around here, this will be the case 9 times out of 10.
    As Martha would say, it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Neither should be stored long term packed tight. For storage they should be kept with as little compression on them as possible. For a trip it really won't make much difference in long term performance to stuff either insulation.
    Thanks Paul, Can the Synthetics be stored lightly rolled, that is what I'm looking at don't really have a place to hang them out but lightly rolling would be possible.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Its a bit of a fallacy that lightweight synthetics in general are more resistant to being stored compressed, both need storing uncompressed to retain their loft. Synthetics will also lose their loft more quickly than down when being constantly stuffed and unstuffed.

The biggest difference is their tolerance to moisture-synthetics will still keep you reasonably warm when damp and will dry out a bit quicker in the field than down. Down is next to useless when wet and suffers loss of loft when damp.

Some synthetics that are made from monofilaments will tolerate long term compression much better, Not sure completely but I don't think anyone makes a quilt from it ATM and its quite heavy compared to hollowfibre or multicore filaments like Primaloft. My Wiggy's bag is monofil and tolerates stuffing and compression very well.

If you plan on possibly getting your quilt damp and don't want the worry, your car camping and weight isn't so much of an issue or your on a budget, get a synthetic.

For better life, long term value,compressibilty, weight, comfort and wallet emptying properties, get down to some down.

FWIW, I use both depending on the kind of trip but much prefer down 95% of the time, even in damp areas.
    Last edited by turnerminator; 07-31-2013 at 10:01. Reason: Spelling and added info.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I store my synthetics just like I store my down. Either hung up or in a large bag or pillow case. Works perfect for me and keeps everything lofted nicely for either.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    Its a bit of a fallacy that lightweight synthetics in general are more resistant to being stored compressed, both need storing uncompressed to retain their loft. Synthetics will also lose their loft more quickly than down when being constantly stuffed and unstuffed.

The biggest difference is their tolerance to moisture-synthetics will still keep you warm when damp and will dry out quicker in the field than down. Down is next to useless when wet and suffers loss of loft when damp.

Some synthetics that are made from monofilaments will tolerate long term compression much better, Not sure completely but I don't think anyone makes a quilt from it ATM and its quite heavy compared to hollowfibre or multicore filaments like Primaloft. My Wigg's bag is monofil and tolerates stuffing and compression very well.

If you plan on possibly getting your quilt damp and don't want the worry, your car camping and weight isn't so much of an issue or your on a budget, get a synthetic.

For better life, long term value,compressibilty, weight, comfort and wallet emptying properties, get down to some down.

FWIW, I use both depending on the kind of trip.
    Plus 1 on this. Moisture resistance is the main reason why I choose synthetics, although I do wish they would compress better. Its damp down here on the TX coast. Humidity is almost always high and between April and November, you shouldn't be surprised to see rain around 1500 even if the forecast doesn't call for it. It snows about once every 10 years or so. Winter precipitation is almost always rain and when it isn't rain its freezing rain or sleet. Wet down can be deadly in those conditions.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thanks guys, definitely not a dry climate so to speak. Between rainy springs, 85-95% humidity in the summer, cool falls, and snowy winters maybe I should consider Synthetic over the Down if it will tolerate moisture a bit better.

Nice thing is there is no rush to order anything as I'm going to play with making my DIY PLUQ first.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    One thing about down quilts. All of mine have a DWR finish especially on the outside that sheds water very nicely,,and keeps down from absorbing moisture. Works nicely. You also have options of using waterproof down and UQ Protectors. Synthetics work great as well. So there is lots of options out there.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post

Thanks Paul, Can the Synthetics be stored lightly rolled, that is what I'm looking at don't really have a place to hang them out but lightly rolling would be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I store my synthetics just like I store my down. Either hung up or in a large bag or pillow case. Works perfect for me and keeps everything lofted nicely for either.
    Exactly like Acer said. Keep either stored as loosely as possible. I use big Rubbermaid totes with desiccate packets.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast