Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bamboo Hammock Stand w/out Ridgeline

Hi! I'm brand new to the forums and I've read a lot of the DIY threads and have even made a few things myself based on them. I really liked the idea of a hammock stand made from bamboo, but don't want a metal, wooden, bamboo, or really any type of ridgeline above me like the tripod designs. I'm designing a stand based on a design I know works with 2x4s, but modified to work with bamboo. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this. Below is a picture to give you an idea of what type of design I'm considering. My design will certainly have some significant differences, but the same basic design:

I haven't fully worked out the design, but what I'd like to do is avoid using any metal hardware or fixed joints. Ideally, I would like to be able to take it apart so that it can be portable. My first thoughts were using holes with wooden rods through them and/or lashing. I also found a really great site with some instructions on advanced bamboo joints at this website:

http://www.guaduabamboo.com/support-...boo_joints.pdf

I understand bamboo is prone to splitting and plan to tape everything before drilling/cutting along with being very careful. Since I haven't fully fleshed out the idea I figured I'd post here and see if anyone wants to jump in and bounce ideas back and forth. For reference, I plan to use 1in x 8ft poles from home depot. They will not be green, so bending them is not an option. Thanks and I hope someone has fun running with this idea!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Building things from bamboo is limited only by ones imagination. I would think that your stand project can be done given enough thought and some trial and error. Thanks for sharing the link on bamboo joinery it sure brought to mind a few project ideas.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Been working with bamboo for about 5 years now..Got lucky when I bought my house that it had 2 different Bamboo Groves on it. Bamboo is a wonderful material to work with but it is completely different than wood as far as working with it. A design that works that is made with wood may not work with bamboo. You cant use nails or screws with bamboo like you can with wood. Mainly just lashing and a few scenarios involving dowel pins and cleaver jointing.

Personally, I won't rule out that it can be done but I see some challenges ahead of you using that design. Biggest problem I see is longevity. May work at first but its a ticking time bomb as to when the vertical poles finally give out. But if you get the angle just right and have long supports for the vertical poles, ya might just get it to work.

Yep, it might work. In the meantime why not build a turtledog stand, so that you will have a handy place to relax and rest and contemplate the problems that may arise with the bamboo one?

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    I can appreciate the desire to make a stand out of bamboo. However I just cannot come up with a way in my mind to make a bamboo version of this strong and reliable without the solid ridge line that is used in the Turtledog or Turtlelady stands. In your link it shows how to splice bamboo with a center joint, If you are looking for compact breakdown you could try doing this on the legs and center poles of a lashed TurtleLady.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I absolutely love bamboo. There are many pics on the forum with bamboo stands similar to what your looking for.

The ridge pole over you instead of under you is not just for the vertical forces, but also, in case of failure, you don't fall on the horizontal bar. Ouch, that would hurt.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Heres an image off the web.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

tensegrity stand?

I've only worked with Bamboo a bit but it seems very strong in a compressional setup (tripod, ridge-pole, etc) but I think you'll need some seriously sized sections to hold the weight of a hammock. Looking at the photo Gargoyle posted should give you some ideas. I really don't believe that a 1" diameter bamboo tube is going to withstand the stresses placed on it in the same way a 2x4 piece of lumber will.

With that said, if utilizing the proper design like a tensegrity setup like this you might have some luck (just don't repeat their mistake). Just do a search here on the forum, there are a number of different designs folks have used with success made from thin poles and lots of amsteel and heavy duty stakes.

Good Luck,

Bamboo Hammock Stand w/out Ridgeline

Thanks! I think you guys are right. Going to give it a shot with 2x3 lumber and see how it holds up. Going with a design that uses minimal hardware for easy setup/breakdown. Will post pictures when I actually have time to build it. Thanks again for the input!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Does your hammock have a ridgeline? if so you might consider going with the TD Stand...Here is some pics of my Version of the TD stand with a bamboo ridge pole..Kit was right at 10lbs.. That is pretty light for a portable stand that sets up in seconds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast