Lots of opinions about the benefits of Synthetic insulation versus Down for wet or high moisture environments. Here's an interesting picture for your consideration. This is the DWR Down demo we took to a paddling EXPO on March 2, 2013. The demo was handled, shaken, & stirred at the EXPO and has been occasionally handled, shaken, & stirred since the EXPO as well. This DWR Down has been in contact with water for 151 days as of today. That's One Hundred Fifty One Days, what would be considered an extreme event in the back country. If your gear is in contact for 151 days with water I think you have a bigger problem than wet insulation...

Today I read a few threads on types of insulation on HF and the fear of moisture with Down. I think a lot of this fear is from the early years of down. Poor quality down and poor fabrics both contributed to moisture problems. Personally after 25 years of exclusive use of Down in the back country I have had no major issues. From Rain Forest, to heavy sea fog, to week long soaker trips, I've never had a wet piece of Down gear. During the dark tent days the tent floor would get pretty wet on extended rain event but Down gear always seemed to perform when protected by a pad.

I can't stress the importance of proper practices on trail regardless of insulation type, dry bag your quilts, dry bag your hammock, setup your tarp properly. A high quality DWR fabric is also important as it is the first line of defense against moisture regardless of insulation type. The proper fabric can make or break any insulation system that might get moisture migration into the fill.

In the end I think personal preference, experience, and your budget will dictate your choice of Down or Synthetic insulation. I for one will take the high insulation value of 850+ Down, the compressibility, and the super light weight that down offers.

Now remember when you look at this picture the Down has been in contact with the water for 151 days as of today. The water is 4" deep, the containers is 8" tall, there is no Down submerged. It's all floating on the top of the water column.

No matter your choice, Down or Synthetic, as long as your swinging in the trees your alright by me....

Our suppliers process is bluesign® approved:

The bluesign® system is the solution for a sustainable textile production. It eliminates harmful substances right from the beginning of the manufacturing process and sets and controls standards for an environmentally friendly and safe production. This not only ensures that the final textile product meets very stringent consumer safety requirements worldwide but also provides confidence to the consumer to acquire a sustainable product.