Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what to do when there's no trees?

A couple buddies and I are planning a 5 day dual sport moto ride. I have a Hennessey Asym Deluxe hammock with stock fly. I'm concerned that we may have to camp in areas where trees may be sparse or spaced too far apart. I'd like to have a backup plan incase this scenario arises, as I dont want to be the guy who makes the whole group keep looking for a spot because there's no trees for me to hang in.

what I would have access to are two motos but I couldnt suspend the hammock from them. I'm thinking tie the suspension to the bikes far enough apart that the ridgeline is off the ground but the hammock is on the ground. Then I have bug protection but no suspended bottom. I could tie off the fly in the same manner if necessary.

I dunno, this is all in my head atm. I havent proven the concept yet. I'm open to more ideas please.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Leave the underquilt at home and bring a closed cell foam pad. Place the pad inside your hammock when you are hanging and it will keep you totally warm. If you don't have any trees then lay the pad on the ground for cushion and setup your tarp and netting using a ridgeline between the bikes like you said.

Have fun! Moto touring sounds awesome.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4th4 View Post
    A couple buddies and I are planning a 5 day dual sport moto ride. I have a Hennessey Asym Deluxe hammock with stock fly. I'm concerned that we may have to camp in areas where trees may be sparse or spaced too far apart. I'd like to have a backup plan incase this scenario arises, as I dont want to be the guy who makes the whole group keep looking for a spot because there's no trees for me to hang in.

what I would have access to are two motos but I couldnt suspend the hammock from them. I'm thinking tie the suspension to the bikes far enough apart that the ridgeline is off the ground but the hammock is on the ground. Then I have bug protection but no suspended bottom. I could tie off the fly in the same manner if necessary.

I dunno, this is all in my head atm. I havent proven the concept yet. I'm open to more ideas please.
    What about a bivi with air matress?
    They pack small and you can use your hammock top quilt.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Keeping in mind that your tarp will help either on the ground or in the trees the next problem is staying off the hard ground. I be inclined to pack a spare chunk of plastic as a foot print under the hammock, rig as you said and have a ccf pad outside the hammock. If I could squeeze it into the gear I would also put an air pad in for inside the hammock.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Ummm.... wouldn't the hammock tip the motos over?
    Also they wouldn't be high enough.
    Bring a small Tyvek ground cloth and make do.

I read this again, and I realized what you are saying.
    Sure, you could use the motos to suspend your tarp and bugnet.
    I would be very cautious about the damage that the ground
    can do to your hammock. Remember that you will be moving
    in your sleep, and this could create problem areas in your hammock.

I would definitely get a cheap ground cloth, to keep this as an option.
    Last edited by Trambo; 08-02-2013 at 10:17. Reason: I guess I can't read...

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Here's a good photo of a Switchback on the ground

http://www.tttrailgear.com/gallery/

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Well if you are on motorcycles then weight probably isn't a huge issue. When I am backpacking in an area where trees may be scarce I take a light weight pad along. I would say you should have no problem stringing your tarp and a line to hang your bug net on between two bikes. Enjoy!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY &quot;Taco&quot; Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Pick a better place!

You can set up a hennessy as a bivy with trekking poles. Cut some construction plastic to use as a ground cloth.

Set the poles and lines up at home with loops in the right place, and setup in the wild will be easier. I have a set of paracords with loops in the right places so it will hold up my hammock bug net off of me. Basically it works like this:

Lay out hammock on ground. Jam one pole in the ground at the foot, and one at the head end, a few feet out, just like where trees would be. Put two stakes about five feet away from each pole, on angles, so they spread out away from your hammock. Use paracord from one stake, around the handle of the trekking pole, down to the other stake. Repeat on other end.

Tie your hammock lines to the trekking poles, only tight enough to hold the ridge line and mosquito net up. Throw your tarp over it and stake out to the sides. If you want a separate tarp ridge line you can tie that up, too, between the poles. Stake the tarp out to the ground, and then loop the side lines on the hennessy to the tarp stakes.

Use a ground pad or something inside.

I worked the system up in the yard, and it works, but is a lot less desirable than hanging in trees. How well it would hold up to wind depends on your poles, your stakes and how tight everything is. I would expect with the stock tarp and being low to the ground you would probably be okay in light winds.

If you're in very loose soil you might have a problem. Ive been in places where stakes just about pull out of the ground by themselves.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Story of my motorcycle trips. My buddies are ground dwellers and I'm the only one trying to hang. So the search for camp grounds is tent based, if there are trees it is bonus for me. If there aren't, they had to make space for me in the tents.

The Handy Hammock is now my solution to take the smiles out of my buddies faces when they choose a treeless spot, but the ground shouldn't be to hard because the pegs are long. Weight and pack-size is motorcycle compatible.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Camo
    Insulation
    ThermaRest Z Lite
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    What "Refreshing" said except I think you might want to put the pad outside the hammock on the ground, to guard against abrasion. I'd rather my pad get abraded than my hammock.
    http://planetmath.org/equationofcate...usofvariations
    "...the catenary, this marvelous graceful thing, this joy of physics, this perfect balance between rebellion and obedience, is God's own signature on earth. I think it pleases Him to see them raised.'' -- Mark Helprin, "Winter's Tale"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast