Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit

With a TQ, do you sleep directly on the hammock?

Hi,

This is my first post here after lurking for a few monhts. I purchased a Clark NX-250 a few months ago and have had a total of 4 hangs in it so far. Loving the hammock but I'm still trying to figure out how to manage the insulation which spawns this question.

Do you guys, when using a TQ or a sleeping bag as a TQ, sleep directly on the hammock?

I tend to wear only boxers when I sleep and it feels weird to sleep directly on the nylon. This might just be a habit thing but I'd like to hear what input you guys have on this. Do you sleep in a layer of clothes or do you sleep on a liner and if so, how do you make it stay in place? or how do you do it?

I have yet to purchase TQ and UQ (The hammock pockets work well enough for summer insulation so far) so I might just be ill informed regarding TQ's.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: With a TQ, do you sleep directly on the hammock?

I wear a layer of cloths. Boxers and T shirt is the minimum (summer). Normally, its a light to midweight base layer(other seasons). Not sure about the clark fabric, but I don't mind ripstop on my arms and legs in the summer.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    pad, IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

UQ

You will find that the TQ is not the important part of sleeping on top of the nylon hammock. The Under Quilt is the item that will keep you warm. With the proper UQ you can sleep in your under shorts with no problem. My set up is a DIY insultech UQ (and a pad) for really cold weather. All I use for a top quilt is a wool army blanket. I would not recommend the wool blanket as it is too bulky and not easy to carry around. My advise is to invest in a good TQ AND UQ. Base the two items on your weather patterns and where you intend to hang. They are expensive and that is why I have not gone that route yet. When I do it will be a yetti UQ and a good quality TQ, made of down. Happy Hanging

-Bill
    Take this soul, stranded in some skin and bones, take this soul and make it sing.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Oh absolutely. I'm fully aware of the UQ and it's importance. Just so happens that with the Clark NX-250 hammock I'm sufficiently insulated from the bottom with the pockets underneath alone. But I'll definitely invest in an UQ as well when winter approaches.

Thank you for your input any ways though. Both of you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Yes, we all sleep directly on the hammock when using a TQ. I sleep in polyester (summer) or wool (winter) base layers. It's more comfortable for me and helps wick away moisture.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Latt View Post
    Oh absolutely. I'm fully aware of the UQ and it's importance. Just so happens that with the Clark NX-250 hammock I'm sufficiently insulated from the bottom with the pockets underneath alone. But I'll definitely invest in an UQ as well when winter approaches.

Thank you for your input any ways though. Both of you
    I have the same hammock you do, and believe it or not, if you put some good insulation under it, you will be thrilled with it. I know the pockets are there, but they aren't magic, and even at temps in the low 70's, the bottom insulation will mean the difference in being able to "take" it, and being truly comfortable, able to totally relax and get real rest and sleep. I use my hammock every night, well over 450 nights in it so far, and believe me, I have tried about every way, and the U.Q. so far has been the best thing out there. Sure hope you continue to enjoy your Clark.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'm in smartwool tights and an ibex hoodie pretty much year around....even this past weekends hike it was in the 50s which means wooliness to me.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Don't know if you have it available in Denmark. But for starting out, in the summer seasons,,you can just use something like a Poncho Liner folded in half,,tied at the corners with bungie chords for a bottom quilt. The poncho liners here can be bought for as little as 20 bucks and are made with a ripstop very light material and lightly stuffed with a synthetic like climashield material, that will keep you warm..doubled up,,you can get about as low as maybe in the low 50's even upper 40's using your clothing to supplement. Even a woolish blanket will work till you aquire the UQ's you desire to use. Some new users even modify a sleeping bag into a UQ to use. As you read the forum,,lots of options that everybody here has started out with using to radiate their body heat into keeping warm at nite. I started out using a Poncho Liner as a top quilt also, in the summers,,and a sleeping bag in the winters before jumping into the TQ's. Enjoy your hangs, and keep warm.
    Last edited by Acer; 08-02-2013 at 07:09.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I have been using a pad with a cover that is fleece on one side and nylon on the other. Prefer the fleece side for sleeping. Also wear base layer if it is at all cool which is most nights I camp.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Yes, I sleep directly on the hammock.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast