The first thing I learned about this place is there is no signage if you head to it from the south. Find Luther Mi. on a map and head North on State street. Eventually you will come to the Silver Creek Campground. This is a State of Michigan camping area, so if you have the sticker you can park and go dispersed camping with no fees. If you want a formal campsite with no hook-ups they do have those at the campground area for a fee. There is also a tent section that I did not explore. The Pine River is beautiful right now, very clear and cold, refreshing to dip your toes into. Head North along the East side of the river. The trail head is tucked away in the circle drive near the Northern most park of the campground circle.

The moment you leave the campground you are into the woods and along the river, there is a rope swing that looks like a lot of fun on a hotter day. It was cool and breezy, a perfect day for a hike in the woods. The path gains elevation and there are plenty of spots to sit and just take it all in. There appears to be many game or side trails as well. The east side goes in and out of ORV paths, just keep heading north with the river on your left. If you have time, take one of the spurs that leads down to the water, I found a great little beach that looked perfect for a day of fun.

Ok, Note here. I don't hate dogs, I like them a lot. With that said I am going to start shooting either the dogs that charge me or the owners of the dogs that charge me. The guy told me his dog charged me because I had a stick. Really?! A stick while walking in the woods, what was I thinking! Dog got a whack and its owner got an earful.
The Lincoln Bridge area had a nice beach and a neat bridge, but I didn't stick around due to the dog.

Heading back along the west side of the river you have to be on the lookout for the path. The bank it starts along is eroded or you can just follow the ORV track further and the path will come out to the ORV track again. I'm glad I climbed up the bank, the views were worth it. The west side seems to hug the river's lower elevations more and at times you are walking right next to the river. The brush was a bit thick, I was glad I had my pants and a long sleeved bug shirt. I found a awesome camp site and put up my hammock 4' from the river's edge. Wood was all over the place on the ground so I had a nice fire when I was ready for it.

The purpose of this trip was to try out my cryptic-cricket sheer curtain bug net on my older DIY hammock. I did bring my DD along just in case. Installing a structural ridge line and adding a new bug net while finally getting shock cord installed on my DIY summer quilt was a bit much, but I had lots of time to kill. Hours of trying and re-tying things a million times had the ridge line tied off, not permanent, bug net installed, UQ hugging my butt like never before and me taking a small nap. The river area I was in was gorgeous with a small 6' beach to walk into the water and cool my toes in. I saw a total of 2 groups the whole time I was testing things out.

I still have a horrible calf pressure in my DIY and sleep was hard to come by as it got pitch black and the sheer netting cuts out a lot of light as well. I have a glow in the dark line attached to my small pillow and it gave me something to look at while I contemplated life and idiots with dogs that attack people.

5 AM had me up and getting coffee going as I had to get back to the real world early. The remainder of the walk was beautiful, quiet except for a few deer I scared up. The last leg goes in and around some more ORV trails and is a bit confusing. More spur trails I did not have time to look at. I will be headed back for sure.