WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: ME > Acadia

Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    i 2nd this. We have stayed in Cobscook Bay and hiked the Bold Coast trail several times- next trip up there is in Oct and can't wait :0)
    Love that place. We used to go all the time for a nice overnighter when we had breaks from class. Been to cobscook bay too, snow showing and cross country skiing. What an amazing part of the country.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I would recimmend skipping Acadia. Go father up route 1 to a town called Machias (I used to live there). Go in to east Machias and take route 191 to cutler, Maine. Look for the trail head to bold coast trail. Am amazingly beautiful place with campsites near a lighthouse and very under populated.
    I know I caused a little thread drift. Sorry about that, but thanks for the heads up on the bold coast trail as I had never heard of it. I like Acadia, but its too crowded in the summer/fall when I have been there. I did a quick search on the Bold Coast trail http://www.hikenewengland.com/CutlerCoastME080610.html . The pics look great, but is it really only 5.8 miles of trail and only 500ft of cumulative elevation gain?
    Ed

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Re: ME > Acadia

It is relatively flat (compared to the Whites). There are three designated camp sites if you want to really take your time and catch a nice sunset. I highly rec. It. Bold Coast is the trail name.
    There is an extended 9.8mile loop if you want to include the campsites.
    Last edited by sunshower; 08-06-2013 at 14:13.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    It is relatively flat (compared to the Whites). There are three designated camp sites if you want to really take your time and catch a nice sunset. I highly rec. It. Bold Coast is the trail name.
    There is an extended 9.8mile loop if you want to include the campsites.
    This right here is correct.

The trail is effectively split in half, half of it is for day hikes, or you can do the whole "rectangular" trail for 10 miles. Definitely do the Bold Coast for your over nighter, its so beautiful and serene. You will get the beauty at Acadia, but not the serenity. Like I said though, Mount Desert Island (Acadia) is definitely a great place to visit and spend some time in the National Park and the wonderful towns on the island. It is relatively flat, epsecially compared to the Whites. But there are a few sections in particular that have stair cases to go up and down the rock faces along the ocean.

The campsites at Bold Coast are in an incredible location. I love the very first one that is nestled right along the rocky coast (If you go inland first then travel the coastal trail to the trail head the next day). You also get a wonderful view of a light house, and like I said, a possibility of seeing whales migrating. One year, a Minke whale was literally right below us as we sat on the 40 foot cliff rock face. INCREDIBLE!

May I recommend stopping at Helens Restaurant in Machias before, or after, for some excellent breakfast and blue berry pie.

If you're there on August 17th, I would recommend working in to your schedule the Machias Blue Berry Festival/The Beehive Collective Black Fly Ball located in Bad Little Falls park, Machias.

http://www.machiasblueberry.com/even...ckfly-Ball-10/

It is amazing, and a band I used to play mandolin in is going to be playing - the Fremont Street Band! Along with nationally accredited bands - usually some sort of big band street party type thing. Its a blast!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Just back from another 4-day hike - great to find so much new information! Thanks for the insider tips. It sounds like I should definitely check out Bold Coast. If it's so beautiful, I might just spend more than one night there

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    If you're there on August 17th, I would recommend working in to your schedule the Machias Blue Berry Festival/The Beehive Collective Black Fly Ball located in Bad Little Falls park, Machias.

http://www.machiasblueberry.com/even...ckfly-Ball-10/

It is amazing, and a band I used to play mandolin in is going to be playing - the Fremont Street Band! Along with nationally accredited bands - usually some sort of big band street party type thing. Its a blast!
    Ah, three months are just too short a time for exploring even "just" the East Coast... Unfortunately I'll only be up in Maine by the end of August / beginning of September. I'll have to come back some time.

camp grounds in bar harbour area are nice.....

agree on acadia...awesome!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ.top varies
    Suspension
    adj web straps
    +1...whole family loves Acadia!
    No Farmers...No Food

• + New Posts