Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Insulation
    TQ & Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Texans: What is your insulation?

I'm curious to see how my fellow Texans stay warm, or cool depending on the seasons. We don't really have winter down here but we do have erratic weather whenever it's not summer. In the summer I get by sometimes with no insulation other than a wind shirt draped over me. When it is cooler a 50 degree sleeping bag as a TQ works just fine with my Gossamer Gear Nitelite pad below. I just purchased a Jacks r Better Sierra Snivler for the occasional cold night, but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm planning on using it with the foam pad beneath me. Does anyone ever feel the need for an underquilt in Texas?

-TheFarmerCamper

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I used my 3 season hammock gear UQ at the butt bake just a few weeks ago. No pad.
    I use the UQ all the time and then regulate from within the hammock. Top Quilt, or silk liner, or clothes. That way, I don't get up.
    A few of us went camping last December, weekend before the New YEar. It dropped to 18 degrees that morning. It was 24 at my ridgeline. I had a winter UQ, and a CCF pad. Winter TQ, fleece sleeping clothes, a neck buff, beanie hat. That was the first, coldest hang for me. My feet were cold most of the night. I reassesed the next morning and found about 3 mistakes I'd made. Putting a water bladder on top of the UQ, pulling it away from me (mistake). Not getting up and getting my rain jacket to wrap around my feet (mistake, Caveman told me that is what he'd done that night to keep feet warm). Not remembering my silk liner also could have been used (mistake)

I was on canoe trip once and thought to not use the 3-season UQ, as it was only dropping to like 50 that night. Mistake. I was up at midnight, in the dark, putting on the UQ.

Remember, everyone sleep different. Warm versus hot VS cold sleeper. I just found to hand the UQ, and regulate everything else is easiest.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Insulation
    TQ & Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thanks for the perspective. I'm considering a torso length UQ and using the foam pad for my legs. I like to keep the pad since it acts as the frame to my pack and I have on occasion had to sleep on the ground.
    -TheFarmerCamper

“The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.” - Hans Hofmann

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    A Poncho Liner Underquilt should work down to about 40* and is relatively cheap.

When I know its going to be very cold, I use my Hennessy as the bug net tends to retain some heat, and I use an Arrowhead Equipment Potomac which gets me down to 30*. Any colder than that I can add a fleece bag liner. My winter hammock is a HH Deep Jungle, which is a double layer, so I can boost it with a pad, but I also have a DIY torso length made of Climashield that I bought off a forum member in the For Sale section. Its really too small to use as an underquilt, but works very well in conjunction with the Potomac and can get me down to 20*.

I carried that "booster quilt" with me at the Butt Bake and it worked well, but was a bit warm when I first got in the hammock to sleep, but I normally don't carry an underquilt in July or August. The temps at the Butt Bake were a bit of an anomaly for July in the Houston area.

I'm working on a DIY three layer IX Underquilt using a guide from DIY Gear Supply posted to the Forum here, and bought enough IX to make a single layer insulated poncho that should serve as a good late spring/early fall UQ, and a booster/undercover for the three layer in colder weather.

For a top quilt I use a Ray Jardine I bought from a member on the forum for the coldest months, and an Enlightened Equipment 40* Prodigy when its not as cold, and if its going to be real cold, I use the two of them together and am toasty warm.
    Last edited by sargevining; 08-03-2013 at 09:31.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Insulation
    TQ & Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

How much would a PLUQ weigh? I tend to lean towards light gear.
    -TheFarmerCamper

“The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.” - Hans Hofmann

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    +1 on the PLUQ. Not necessarily ultralight, but cheap and easy. I have slept down to 24* no wind, in the panhandle, with a full length PLUQ, sandwiched with an army wool blanket and A Mylar reflective between the wool and PLUQ. (that can be a vapor barrier.)
    The wool is heavy, but insulates when damp.

Here's the daughter snoozing in hers.
    [IMG]https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/3/4/5/image.jpg[IMG]
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375571465.510446.jpg

Let's try this. And, I have to admit, I had the old style military surplus feather sleeping bag as a top quilt, which is quite warm. On the 24* hang.
    Semper Veritas.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFarmerCamper View Post
    How much would a PLUQ weigh? I tend to lean towards light gear.
    As the Old Comanche said "Light mean many dollars."

The weight of a woobie (poncho liner) is about 22-23 ounces, without suspension. My Potomac comes in at 28.8 oz with the suspension. The poncho liner will cost you about $30, the Potomac is retailing right now for $190. The Potomac can reliably get you down to 30*, but I really wouldn't count on a PLUQ for that. The difference in bulk between the two is significant as the Potomac can be stuffed where the PLUQ packs better if rolled. I also think the Potomac is easier to rig, especially if you have a Hennessy since its made to use the Hennessey side tie outs. My experience has been that it fits the same way each time I put it on once its been dialed in.

Reports on that DIY 3 layer IX thread are saying weight is around 16.4 oz, but you can reduce that by a couple ounces by leaving off the inner cover. Cost for materials on the one I'm making is at about $65.00, plus whatever my time is worth putting it together, but I'm giving my time to me for free cuz I'm such an nice guy and I've done a lot of nice things for me. The bulk on that is going to be somewhere between the Potomac and the PLUQ, but at just 2 ounces over half the weight of the other two, I don't mind as much.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I use the full length Shamu Insultex UQ by MacEntyre, weighs about 12 Oz; then I use whatever on top to keep warm.

The Shamu gets me down to about 30 degrees, below that I add either a CCF pad or poncho liner UQ.

On top I use a sleeping bag if it's cold, or a cotton sheet if it is hot.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Insulation
    TQ & Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    I use the full length Shamu Insultex UQ by MacEntyre, weighs about 12 Oz; then I use whatever on top to keep warm.

The Shamu gets me down to about 30 degrees, below that I add either a CCF pad or poncho liner UQ.

On top I use a sleeping bag if it's cold, or a cotton sheet if it is hot.
    Thanks for the info. Looks like they even have some torso length options to go even lighter.
    -TheFarmerCamper

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast