JustClaudia

Personal instructions needed!

Learning by videos and reading does not work for me with manual tasks such as hanging a hammock" :-( If anyone in my area is willing to spare time to SHOW me some of these tricks in hanging hammocks, I will gladly buy you a cup of tea or coffee! I live in Ashe County NC near the TN and VA lines. I am happy to drive to Winston Salem, Boone, and even Charlotte or other towns in that radius for help. Hoping to be camping by October. :-) yes, I am old but still teachable! :-)
    Is there a club or group of you in my area anywhere?
    Thanks for the help! :-)

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Have your tried Shug's videos?
    And have you tried "The Ultimate Hang" book?

Both help a lot of people.
    And yeah, finding someone near, helps.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    Cc foam pad+bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    If no one responds directly, keep an eye on the group hang/trip planning board for people planning a hang near you, and go. Then you can get the one on one from multiple perspectives at once, and sometimes if you ask nice, they'll even demo their gear choices which might make it easier for you to decide on future purchases.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    There are a lot of hangers in NC, and many group hangs and even better a lot of great folks
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If you can make it down to the coast I will be happy to conduct a hanging class for you.

Your best bet at this time is to watch Shug's videos and look for a group hang to attend.

There are several hangs coming up in Sept, The Hot Springs Hang and the Grayson Park Hang. Don't worry about being new at hanging. We were all new to it at one time and the more I learn about it the more I realize how much more there is to learn.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'm probably closer, no problem to show you how.
    Couple years ago MotherShip on Whiteblaze contacted me asking for hanging help, said she was to start a thru-hike in 10 days! Met up with her, within an hour she'd ordered $800 dollars of hammock related gear...did her whole thru-hike hanging the whole way.
    Poof wouldn't mind either she's near Waynesville if that is closer and I bet there are others even closer who haven't seen the thread.
    Most of us here will do what it takes to get someone airborne.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    There are two group hangs coming up in your neck of the woods - Grayson and Hot Springs. Those would be great places to see and try some variety of hammocks and learn a lot in a short amount of time. Of course, they are close to your October timeframe as well.

Edit: I see Gunner already said the same thing.

I'd also be willing to help out if I get a free weekend. Busy the next few weekends though.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    great minds think alike
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    There are a lot of hangers in NC, and many group hangs and even better a lot of great folks
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I'm probably closer, no problem to show you how.
    Couple years ago MotherShip on Whiteblaze contacted me asking for hanging help, said she was to start a thru-hike in 10 days! Met up with her, within an hour she'd ordered $800 dollars of hammock related gear...did her whole thru-hike hanging the whole way.
    Poof wouldn't mind either she's near Waynesville if that is closer and I bet there are others even closer who haven't seen the thread.
    Most of us here will do what it takes to get someone airborne.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    There are two group hangs coming up in your neck of the woods - Grayson and Hot Springs. Those would be great places to see and try some variety of hammocks and learn a lot in a short amount of time. Of course, they are close to your October timeframe as well.

I'd also be willing to help out if I get a free weekend. Busy the next few weekends though.
    Oh yes, NC/TN/VA are loaded with hangers and even hammock manufacturers. They just need to see this thread, then I'm sure there are a buch you could drive to who would be delighted to show you the ropes. Or straps or Whoopies, whatever needed! And of course those group hangs are a great way to see a bunch of different brands of hammocks and related gear in use, to try them out!

After 5 minutes of hands on instruction, you will be amazed at how simple all of this is! You could drive down here to Tupelo, MS and I could show you how to hang a bunch of different hammocks, UQs, Super Shelters and Pea Pods, but that is a long ways.

• + New Posts