DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

DIY Climashield TQ

Whipped together a Climashield TQ this weekend. (Well perhaps "whipped together" implies less time that it really took - I made one anyway )

I used 30D Coyote brown ripstop from Magna Fabrics. Wow, that stuff is light! Without any coating it feels great but definitely will have to treat it well. For insulation I used a single layer of 2.5oz Climashield APEX from Thru-Hiker. That Climashield was a lot sturdier stuff than I thought it might be - after seeing it I understand how just sewing the edges is enough. The 2.5oz stuff is pretty thin though - little over 1/2 inch loft but then this is just supposed to be 1 season - hoping it'll do 45-50* (Plan is to create a 2nd TQ to nest with it - that's what the little black tabs are to connect it to it's yet to-be-made mate).

For those who like details for their own projects (know I'd never have tried this without all the helpful post others have left!):
    • Inner shell: 57"x82"
    • Outer shell: 59"x84" (to ensure room for loft)
    • Insulation: ~58"x82" (since the stuff's 60"wide and I had the differential for loft I decided to make it a little wide to maximize insulation and not really have measure and cut the width)
    • Sew shells together with ~24" unsewn part at foot end.
    • Lay out shell on-top-of insulation. Pin
    • Run line of stitching ~1" in from edge all the way around (except previously mentioned opening). Sew with the CS on the bottom else the sewing machine foot will snag it!
    • Reach in through opening and turn rightside out - the insulation will now be on the inside and your seams hidden.
    • Close off opening.

I went with a sewn footbox (~22") with a cinched bottom so I can still vent. Thought I was all done then went to cinch it shut only to find that the 1 1/2" grosgrain I'd used was just too stiff/thick and the best I could do still left a 6" opening. So out came the seam ripper followed by a good hour plus of picking out stitches. The next afternoon I redid the end channel with doubled over ripstop and it cinched down much better (and looked cleaner too).

Finished weight 19oz (7.7oz was shell) - a bit more than I though but still a good 11oz less than the bag I've been using so win.

Stuffed size isn't too bad - not tiny but again a marked improvement over what I've been using. In the pics it's still somewhat loosely packed - it can be squashed down more but I made the sack a bit oversized so it'll conform better inside my pack. Think mini-basketball size.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Great write-up. I had been wondering about clima as tq

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, WBBB 1.1 & 1.7 dbl,
    Tarp
    HG CF, SF, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20*Phx,WL 15*TQ
    Suspension
    Straps, buckles
    Thanks for posting! This just might be my next DIY!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    My first project with climashield was a zipper less rectangular sleeping bag for my daughter. I was amazed at how easy it was to work with. Simply cut out a large panel, stitch around the edges, and done. She loves it because it was made just for her, and it is one of her favorite colors, bright pink.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY Digital Camo
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY CS TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks for sharing Lorax. I'm in the middle of making mine just as you have described, but stumped on deciding what to do with footbox. Can't decide whether to just sew everything up there or go with the cinched footbox with snaps or zipper. Anyway great job!

Hammock
    Knotty inspired gathered end
    Tarp
    DD XL
    Insulation
    Snugpak Autumn
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Thanks for this Lorax! It looks great! Some questions for you:

What needle, stitch length and tension did you use for the project?

Cheers!

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by E46330d View Post
    Thanks for this Lorax! It looks great! Some questions for you:

What needle, stitch length and tension did you use for the project?

Cheers!
    You know it's funny, with all the thinking about what dimensions I'd use and how I'd put it together the thread injector settings barely crossed my mind I did do a test run with a bit of the scrap I trimmed off the edge of the ripstop and that came out fine with how I already had the tension set so I stuck with it. Didn't even have to mess with it when I added the extra thickness of the Climashield - went slow the first bit to be sure but it worked so why mess with a good thing?

The needle I used is a size 90/14 "Universal regular point needle" in other words the generic I already had. Stitch length - um whatever the middle setting comes out to?

Honestly I suspect the exact settings probably don't make a whole lot of a difference as long as your stitches are coming out clean. I've done this thin 30D ripstop, double layers of heavy 1.9+oz ripstop, even denim cutoffs for the kid all with the same tension settings. Just do a little test piece first to make sure you're not leaving loose stitches or puckering the material and you'll be fine.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    She loves it because it was made just for her, and it is one of her favorite colors, bright pink.
    My daughter's got a purple hammock she loves too cause her daddy made it for her - ain't that feeling great?

Hammock
    Knotty inspired gathered end
    Tarp
    DD XL
    Insulation
    Snugpak Autumn
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    ha ha ha ha ha, thanks for that Lorax! take care.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Wow! I made mine with an eerily similar fashion 7 years ago. I stitched all the way to the bottom and made a slight turn towards the center though. That Climashield XP still is toasty warm after all these years. I stitched in a draft guard ala Ray Jardine, but will caution that stitching it in then turning the material outward with the CS inside was really tricky. All in all they came out very well. I made about 14 of them from the insulation we got our hands on back then and everybody loved them.

That is a very nice TQ you crafted.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast